Thread: Speed Modeling Challenge #286 – Album Cover

Speed Modeling Challenge #286 – Album Cover

Rules:
    1. Every two weeks or so there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit (usually 60 to 120 minutes plus 60 minutes if you're new to LightWave). You should spend no longer than the allotted time modeling. Then texture your object(s), light the scene, and post a render of your model to this thread. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling time is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
    2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php
    3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
    4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
    5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
    6. If there are a sufficient number of contributors, a "winner" will get the chance to pick the subject of the next challenge. Input from the community is often used in this process. If there are only a handful of contributors, they can discuss this together and pick the next topic, designating one of them to post the new subject in the Forum.
    7. Have fun! This is a community event designed to encourage you to keep modeling. Whether you're a new LightWave artist or a seasoned professional, working with these tools is the only way to get better.

This Challenge Topic: Album Cover

Description: Model any object that represents your "favorite" song. Along with the wire render, try making the texture render of your object as an album cover. Don't forget to include the song name with your submission. And above all else, have fun!

Modeling Time: 120 minutes

Challenge Ends: ~Noon Pacific - June 28, 2017

Winning entry announced: ~Noon Pacific - June 29th (so check back)

Challenge #287 will start on or around June 30.

Thanks unstable. I'll see what I can come up with.

A State of Trance 2012

Modeling Time: ~90 minutes

Original Album Artwork:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-State-Of-Trance-2012-cover.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	137197

Recreation in LightWave, minus some details and lighting effects:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Album-cover-Final-Color2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	137198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Album-cover-Final-Poly2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	137199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Album-cover-Final-Wireframe2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	658.2 KB 
ID:	137200

Poly render wasn't that great since most surfaces were flat. Wireframe probably gives a better idea on the detail. Vacation time!

Very cool NeonZ. If there are no other entries, you'll be the winner by default, but I thought your entry was great. Too bad more folks aren't participating. Wish I was better and had more time.

Just a suggestion. Given that there is so few people submitting each week/time, maybe simply make these month long, change them from speed modeling to simply modeling challenge without a time limit. Reasoning? What is the point if only one or two people participate?

My input as a modeler. I do this for a living and I have all kinds of other projects at any given time. Not just 3D. And then there is life outside the office...lol In general I am not really into the speed stuff. It is so hard for me to come up with something of substance, within the topic and time frame. Because I am already required to do things as fast as possible for work, these challenges for me turn out to be more like art projects. So I do research come up with an idea and before I have barely started the time is up. So I just don't bother anymore.

Why would this be more beneficial?

Because I think if people had more time, they might work on it over a month around other projects. And with a longer time limit or limit removed, people would be encouraged to keep working on something and finish. Just my 2C.

Maybe it would be good to get feedback. Why are people not responding to these challenges. You have mine.

And maybe a new kind of challenge should be made. I don't know. Just sad to see so little input on these.

And another factor unfortunately. Many people have moved away from modeling in Modeler. I have. For what it is worth.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 06-27-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Just a suggestion. Given that there is so few people submitting each week/time, maybe simply make these month long, change them from speed modeling to simply modeling challenge without a time limit. Reasoning? What is the point if only one or two people participate?

My input as a modeler. I do this for a living and I have all kinds of other projects at any given time. Not just 3D. And then there is life outside the office...lol In general I am not really into the speed stuff. It is so hard for me to come up with something of substance, within the topic and time frame. Because I am already required to do things as fast as possible for work, these challenges for me turn out to be more like art projects. So I do research come up with an idea and before I have barely started the time is up. So I just don't bother anymore.

Why would this be more beneficial?

Because I think if people had more time, they might work on it over a month around other projects. And with a longer time limit or limit removed, people would be encouraged to keep working on something and finish. Just my 2C.

Maybe it would be good to get feedback. Why are people not responding to these challenges. You have mine.

And maybe a new kind of challenge should be made. I don't know. Just sad to see so little input on these.

And another factor unfortunately. Many people have moved away from modeling in Modeler. I have. For what it is worth.
    I think this is great feedback Surrealist. You make some very valid points as well. I think the idea of a 'speed' challenge was so it didn't require too much of people's time and it let people assess their own ability as to what they could complete within that time limit. But I know I have thrown away a lot of attempts and not entered anything because they didn't turn out well, so it didn't really save me any time and the result was one less entry. I'd like to see more participation so I could learn from the other entries and try and get better. I think it would be worth trying your idea of a month long modeling challenge without a time limit. I'm hoping more folks chime in on this as well, but if not, I think your idea is certainly worth a try. thanks for letting us know.

Thanks, yeah, I'd like to hear more input as well. Another thing I'd like to see, considering the reality of the current climate, is open it to all platforms. Another deterrent to me is that I really don't model much in LightWave anymore. So I am slower as I try and get back into the tools.

Would it be useful, considering so many people are expanding out to Blender, Modo etc. to open it up to any app?

I am thinking, "Art of Modeling Challenge". So the emphasis is on the art of modeling. Not on the tools so much. And another thing I'd like to see is have it open to dusting off old projects. That creature you've been sculpting and wanted a reason to finish. Or that environment or other project you wanted to finish for your portfolio you never got around to. Open it up a little.

Might be interesting to see the responses in this case.

And it could be a branch off from this one with similar rules otherwise.

Thanks for the input Surrealist. Valid recommendations and I appreciate the thought that went into it. I'll start up the next challenge with this in mind and make it the July challenge, open to any modeling tool. Then see how it goes!

Great man. Cool entry even if the only one and I am glad you took up some of my ideas.