Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Eevee - Realtime rendering engine for Blender

what about Fur / Hair / Grass ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    mee too...wondering.

I thought I had blender 2.79, but it was only 2,78...will have to check up on that one for the new shaders.

and by the way, just fiddled with volumetric containers (just boxes with scattering volume material) in blender and using some lights, the volumetrics is quite fast now with my new machine...may even be faster than lightwave when I use the volumetric trick of an hypervoxel..in principle they are similar, though I have to cut down the near clip distance in hv shading for it not to crawl..
    I will try and make a showcase of them both tomorrow..with sound.

- - - Updated - - -

mee too...wondering.

I thought I had blender 2.79, but it was only 2,78...will have to check up on that one for the new shaders.

and by the way, just fiddled with volumetric containers (just boxes with scattering volume material) in blender and using some lights, the volumetrics is quite fast now with my new machine...may even be faster than lightwave when I use the volumetric trick of an hypervoxel..in principle they are similar, though I have to cut down the near clip distance in hv shading for it not to crawl..

jesus...whatīs wrong with posting to the forums nowadays..constant double posts and extremely slow to post??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3RQlJw3JVU

Not sure about 2.8, but as for the previous version people
    have switched to instancing for grass, since its faster to render

(also more realistic)

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    To compare both system realistically you should have tested tfd with it. From my experience tfd renders faster, but
    as for preview blender has imho a slightly better performance.
    Last edited by tischbein3; 07-12-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tischbein3 View Post
    To compare both system realistically you should have tested tfd with it. From my experience tfd renders faster, but
    as for preview blender has imho a slightly better performance.
    tischbein..that is not what I will be showing or discussing, so not to confuse things, this is about using a volumetric material on a box in blender to scatter any light source to work as volumetric light and for lightwave using an hypervoxel volume item to scatter any lightsoure as volumetric light without having volumetric lights active, since not all lights in lightwave can be volumetric and the ones that does can not produces soft shadows with sampling, so by doing it this way we can have shoft shadows and actually a more realistic volumetric atmosphere around things.

TurbulenceFD VS blender fire and smoke..that is a completly different thing, I may get to cover that later, and yes...turbulenceFD way faster and easier to work to with as well...the only thing I may think that is better in blender is the way you can display both fire and smoke in the openGL at the same time, while in lightwave and turbulenceFD we can only have either smoke or fire, I also like that itīs easier and have more options in blender when adding additional forces, that also works on other items..that we do not have and is way fuzzier to setup in TurbulenceFD, on the other hand I feel it much easier to set up the basics with a fluid container and fluid emitter in lighwave, where in blender you have to create the object domain then set it as a fluid container, and further on set the right type of fluid, so in that sense I feel that turbulence is easier to work with.

Working with turbulenceFD shaders is alo way easier than using the node materials for absorbtion ans scattering in blender smoke and fire.

The question I would like to evaluate is which one simulates faster, I think turbulenceFD wins that though.

More Eevee goodness:

Win10 64 - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    More Eevee goodness:

Yep, nice...but I would like to see soft shadows cast on a floor to see if it can do that.

Soft shadows will be implemented - 'real' soft shadows will be available only for off-line rendering with Eevee.

For the records, the initial implementation will follow the quick approach Blender currently does for the BGE and Blender Internal. For real soft shadow the buffer size should be taken into account, which is a very expensive solution. This will only be implemented for offline Eevee rendering.
    See:
    https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...Viewport/Eevee
    Win10 64 - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    tischbein..that is not what I will be showing or discussing, so not to confuse things, this is about using a volumetric material on a box in blender to scatter any light source to work as volumetric light and for lightwave using an hypervoxel volume item to scatter any lightsoure as volumetric light without having volumetric lights active, since not all lights in lightwave can be volumetric and the ones that does can not produces soft shadows with sampling, so by doing it this way we can have shoft shadows and actually a more realistic volumetric atmosphere around things.
    Ok, have misread you. Yes for that kind of things lws hypervoxel are bit difficult to use for.

Agree that setting it up in blender is a bit pain in the ***, but as for adding a smoke object the fast way in blender you can select the object,
    hit space and enter/search for the "quick smoke" command. This will make it an emitter object and adds a smoke domain with basic texture setup

And yes I would also think that tfd does simulate faster.

Quote Originally Posted by tischbein3 View Post
    Ok, have misread you. Yes for that kind of things lws hypervoxel are bit difficult to use for.

Agree that setting it up in blender is a bit pain in the ***, but as for adding a smoke object the fast way in blender you can select the object,
    hit space and enter/search for the "quick smoke" command. This will make it an emitter object and adds a smoke domain with basic texture setup

And yes I would also think that tfd does simulate faster.
    Not really, Itīs quite easy to do that volumetric fog effect to catch rays, godrays in Lightwave...Once you know it
    I was planning to do that yesterday and showcase it finally with voice over, (my lightwave 2015 bin folder was somehow deleted and I had to re-insall lightwave, so I was delayed and also had the UP plugin to try out)
    I have two of those earlier but only without voice and not properly demonstrating it, you can also check bryphi77 vids on how to set it up similar,
    but he takes a different route and use dp booleans to exclude what doesnīt need to rendr I think..where I do not find that absolutly necessary when you can clip the volumetrics in front of the camera with near clip distance in the hv tab..
    which will make it render much faster, but if you clip it too much, there is no volumetric to pick the rays up in front of the cam.

So One need to find a balance between how much rays you want close to the cam and the speed of rendering, but overall I find that technique yielding both better looks and more control over volumetrics than simply turning a light in to volumetrics, and apart from that we get the option to use any light source as able to influence the volumetrics and with soft shadows if you use sunsky light from dpon, area, dome and spherical lights, which otherwise can not be turned volumetric.

As for quick smoke, well..not sure, I have found that it doesnīt seem to behave correctly when turning on fire and smoke together and simulating, something goes wonky..I would suggest just go the standard route of create a cube, name it properly as a fluid domain, and then create your fluid emitter object and name that properly as well ...but, it would be easier if you simply can add a fluid domain object with default set to domain object and hit make fluid emitter with default set up as flow object, as you can in turbulenceFD.

By the way for you more advanced blender guys, I am not that in to python ( I will get in there soon) is there really no other way to customize your own buttons and menus similar to ligthwave than having to resort to scripting?
    And another one, is there a setting in the preferences tab that can change the menu to show those left tabs vertical running text to run horizontally instead, I hate that setup as it is in blender, modo and daz...in daz I can at least change that to run horizontally so I donīt have to twist my mind or head in another direction from how you normally read something

Michael

I don't think you can do either. And I am pretty sure you can't do it in Python anyway. This is one of the main beefs about the Blender interface. But I think if you want to get a better answer to that, go to the Blender forums. A lot of guys there know more than I do. But as far as I know the Blender interface is hard-coded. No way to manipulate it without creating a branch and contributing to the Blender code. They plan to change things up as of 2.8. But I am not sure to what extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    I don't think you can do either. And I am pretty sure you can't do it in Python anyway. This is one of the main beefs about the Blender interface. But I think if you want to get a better answer to that, go to the Blender forums. A lot of guys there know more than I do. But as far as I know the Blender interface is hard-coded. No way to manipulate it without creating a branch and contributing to the Blender code. They plan to change things up as of 2.8. But I am not sure to what extent.
    As for being able to change the UI and add your own buttons and menus...that is the first thing I looked for and found several tutorials on how to do that with python, so not sure why you say you canīt do that in python...If you however is talking about changing the vertical tabs that is..there I do not know..but your answer was a bit unclear on what you ment.

Oh wait, you said either..but in such case I think you are wrong for at least creating your own menus and buttons, look for it at youtube..

And there is more around that on youtube, I will eventually learn this, but thought I could be up and running fast with some tools in the same way I simply drag and drop with lightwave.

This is the thing about blender VS lightwave, lightwave was through many many years filtered to be designed as user friendly..but less able to customize extra, while blender seem to have been designed to be as highly customizable as possible...if you crack the code that is.

Or should I say that lightwave was more concerned about organizing and structure where you have your tools with ease and not caring on making it easy to change interface themes and colors...while blender is the opposite...more concerned about the looks.
    So while we can so nicely make our own menus and buttons in lightwave..itīs hell to change colors and themes.

Yes, you can change your key mappings in Blender just fine. The problem is that when you change certain key mappings, it breaks other areas of the software and you won't know about it until you start to use those areas. This is one of the things that is planned to be changed with the 2.8 release.

As for the vertical tabs, you can't change those. I think there was some discussion on allowing people to change those with the 2.8 update as well, but I can't seem to find those notes right now.
    Curtis Rhoads

Desktop: Win10 x64 | i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | GeForce GTX970
    Laptop: Win10 x64 | i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GT650M
    Desktop: iMac | i7 3.5GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GTX 780M

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast