Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording NDI sources

Recording NDI sources

I've been putting our new NC I/O unit through its paces, and have run into one snag so far. It doesn't seem to let me record NDI sources.

If I switch an input or output to an NDI source, the record button is greyed out. I can still capture stills, though.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks!
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

Just tried it on my NC1 IO unit, same thing. My understanding was that recording was for SDI inputs, I never checked to see if recording NDI inputs was an option.

I'm put in a bug report on this, in case it was an oversight.
    Last edited by kanep; 06-05-2017 at 10:40 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

I don't believe NC1 IO is intended to capture NDI. The solution for capturing NDI sources is IsoCorder.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Uh, I hope it's a bug, because that's kind of a showstopper.

Edit: The last two features listed aren't accurate: http://i.imgur.com/Qa7MvaS.png

There's also still no manual or documentation for the IO unit either.

Any ETA on that and the missing features?

Thanks!
    Last edited by lukerctv; 06-06-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Manual for NC1 IO can be found on the system by going to the Start menu, then the NewTek folder, then click on the icon called 'NewTek Conenct1 IO Documentation'.

There are no missing features on that list.

- The system does offer recording to external or network attached storage.

- The web browser remote control can be accessed by opening a web browser on another device and typing in the IP address of the NC1 IO unit.
    Last edited by kanep; 06-06-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

I mean... the feature list is accurate, if you purposely exclude important caveats. Seems like it should read:

• Native-resolution recording of SDI sources to external or network attached storage for archive and post-production

• Remote monitoring without audio, and basic start/stop recording controls from the web browser of any networked device, including iOS and Android devices

Thanks for the location of the manual, going to check it out now.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

The good thing about software based solutions is that they can be extended in functionally or capabilities with software updates. I don't know what the roadmap is for these products and there could be reasons that some features can't be added. Case in point, is the audio preview in the web app which is a limitation of web browser technology. Putting in recommendations on things you want the added is a good thing, that information gets back help prioritize future updates.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

I'm specifically calling out the marketing material as being misleading, not asking for features I just thought up.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

While we're on the subject of advertising, the TC1 specs say in regards to 4K - https://www.newtek.com/tricaster/tc1/tech-specs/ -

Optionally supports up to 16 simultaneous 3G/HD/SD-SDI video inputs or quad-link 3G-SDI video inputs (4K UHD) via network integration with NewTek NC1 conversion modules

Seems to imply that any of the NC1 Modules can be used for 4K ingest, however reading the specs of the the NC1 IN module - https://www.newtek.com/connect/nc1-in/tech-specs/ - it supports at best 1080p60, so in reality it appears that the ONLY Newtek device that allows for the 4K ingest is the NC1 Studio I/O Module - https://www.newtek.com/connect/nc1-io/tech-specs/

Some clarification would be good

Thanks

Jeff
    Last edited by JPulera; 06-07-2017 at 02:30 PM.

It was asked when the missing features would be added, I pointed out that no features are missing. From that standpoint, I believe that what was being asked for is additional functionally.

In the case of the NC1 modules, it does list in the supported SDI inputs formats and A/V standards that only the 'IO" unit supports 2160p video formats. Do be ware that the TC1 & VMC1 systems will take anything that is UHD via NDI, so it isn't just limited to Connect NC1 IO units, you could build your own UHD solution using Connect Pro or take in UHD graphics from our new Vizrt based NVG1 solution.

Marketing's job is to sell the value of products, I'll admit, it's a sometimes difficult to find that balance between selling the value of product while not 'overselling' capabilities, I don't see anything that promised any kind of functionally that the units currently don't deliver. Despite that, I do want marketing to put out clear information, so I have forwarded on this string of posts to marketing so they can review these comments.
    Last edited by kanep; 06-07-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

I'll just add that sometimes misunderstandings arise because of attempts to avoid being overly verbose (off-putting) in a bullet list. The detailed specs should normally clear up most complex questions, but there's always room for improvement.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Just want to add a thank you for those highlighting areas where we can provide better clarity on the web. Its always our attempt to provide clear messaging around capabilities for each product while attempting to do so in a way that is easily understood no matter your level of expertise. Tech specs and our user manuals will always provide the most in-depth information regarding product features and capabilities. As new products become available, especially those that can integrate with other products and workflows, a certain amount of drift happens until we circle back and make additional updates. As mentioned above, some of this may be feature requests while others can be tackled with updates to our web copy.
    Sr. Director, Marketing Services
    NewTek
    San Antonio, TX

Speaking of clarity... will I be able to record NDI sources on my NC1 I/O with a future update, or is it never going to happen?
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Still waiting on an answer...
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Sorry, you may be waiting longer. We don't normally comment on possible future developments (we do sometimes comment on impossible future developments, but not often).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast