Thread: New Studio Setup

New Studio Setup

Good afternoon gang,

I am a high school media arts instructor and have been teaching myself & my students about video production for the last 3 years. This week, we received an extremely generous grant from our Educational Foundation for Excellence to the tune of $30,000.

Presently, we're running our show (daily announcements for the most part) off a Tricaster 40 v2 with a Sony HXR-MC200 and a set of AudioTechnica wireless lapels.

I am singularly responsible for wisely spending these funds to upgrade our studio to include a light grid, new cameras, possibly a Tricaster 410, and any other bells and whistles I can find to develop a state-of-the-art TV Production studio.

I have been doing a ridiculous amount of research and am feeling very overwhelmed with all the camera choices, gear, etc. and so I am turning to you for your insight and guidance. I have toyed with the idea of a Blackmagic Design 4k studio camera but have come across some negative reviews and difficulties in pairing this cam with the Tricaster 410. I also have no idea which lights to choose for our green screen effects/light grid. Finally, there's the who idea of HDMI to SDI adapters, optic, ATEM, and more that have my head spinning.

So, that's an awful lot to digest and I'll take any suggestions you can offer to help us build the best studio possible with this budget.
    Thank you kindly,
    Aaron

I think you should look more at the new TC1 to future proof the setup. If you are going to want to do 4K cameras at any point you will want the TC1. As far as cable goes, since you are in a school setting you should really consider NDI. Schools are perfect places since often times networking is already in place. This week I am doing a graduation and will be using the junction box on the football field to send two cameras back up to the press box through NDI.

If you plan to leave the studio to do athletics, graduations, fine arts or something you might consider getting one of those rolling cases. I think the TC1 has basically Advanced Edition already installed so you would have 4 channels or replay, data link capabilities, comps, and large number of other things that would come in handy.

Just moving from the 40 to a more modern Tricaster would mean you can now do macros and can setup a number complicated steps to work with a single button push. You can add a simple X-Keys controller or something similar and have basically hot keys to do nearly everything. Great and simple for students.

Quote Originally Posted by awmiller View Post
    Good afternoon gang,

I am a high school media arts instructor and have been teaching myself & my students about video production for the last 3 years. This week, we received an extremely generous grant from our Educational Foundation for Excellence to the tune of $30,000.

Presently, we're running our show (daily announcements for the most part) off a Tricaster 40 v2 with a Sony HXR-MC200 and a set of AudioTechnica wireless lapels.

I am singularly responsible for wisely spending these funds to upgrade our studio to include a light grid, new cameras, possibly a Tricaster 410, and any other bells and whistles I can find to develop a state-of-the-art TV Production studio.

I have been doing a ridiculous amount of research and am feeling very overwhelmed with all the camera choices, gear, etc. and so I am turning to you for your insight and guidance. I have toyed with the idea of a Blackmagic Design 4k studio camera but have come across some negative reviews and difficulties in pairing this cam with the Tricaster 410. I also have no idea which lights to choose for our green screen effects/light grid. Finally, there's the who idea of HDMI to SDI adapters, optic, ATEM, and more that have my head spinning.

So, that's an awful lot to digest and I'll take any suggestions you can offer to help us build the best studio possible with this budget.
    Thank you kindly,
    Aaron
    Hey Aaron.
    I'm in TN, also. I was in a similar situation, but had a significantly larger budget in building a new studio.
    Sounds like you are going to need to seriously prioritize with "only" 30K. There are a lot of vendors here in the Nashville area who were able to help me with purchasing once I let them know my budget.
    I can recommend 4 Wall lighting in Nashville for advice in purchasing lights and installing a grid. Brad is a solid guy there.
    I worked with Diversified out of Georgia for everything else, including the Tricaster, Camera, Audio, video adapter setup, etc. They will walk you through everything. Ask for Daniel.

Hope this helps.

Adam

I've built many studios over the years. They money will go fast, so first you have to look at your long term goals. I wouldn't recommend 4k at this time, as I would doubt that you would be using 4k as a transport medium anytime over at least the next 5 years. Basic live streaming on the web is still 720p heavy. Think of FB live or YT. So with a really nice system that does 1080, you can cover all your needs and in some cases you could upscale to 4k if absolutely necessary. Be careful of jumping into something you really don't need. A local system integrator would be a great help. Also remember that each area has multiple needs. For example, Audio, you need a mixer, monitors, microphones, headphones, and the list goes on. 30k is a great start. But also think about a repair/replace budget. Things will break or get dropped by accident. That is another reason to go a little higher end on some parts of your system. The TC 460 with AE2 is a great system with plenty of inputs to do studio, event and sports production. I was producing soccer, softball, baseball and swimming with a 460 for ESPN3. But that will eat up close to half your budget depending on what type of deal you can get. Add 3-4 cameras, tripods, audio and your 30k is gone. Don't go too cheap on the tripods. The lesser price ones fall apart more quickly. For students just learning, a good tripod is their friend. Just a few ideas. Good luck.

Aaron your welcome to come check out out TC 460. We use it for everything! Just give me a call at LightTUBe
    Common Gear Used:
    TriCaster: Studio, 40, 460
    Time Warp TW42
    Cameras: Sony PXWX70
    Cable Solution:Coax HD_SDI & Component Video/Analog Audio Balun
    Teradek Cube 105
    Chevy City Express Van