Thread: how many uses wix VS wordpress, Pro´s and Cons

how many uses wix VS wordpress, Pro´s and Cons

Just interested to see who many prefers wix sites over wordpress.

wix seem to offer more flexibility straight up at no cost, and wih page builder plugin already there, while a simple free wordpress blog doesn´t allow for that as I know of.
    wordpress in a webhotel is a different matter but are there any good free webhotels out there to rely on, or is it worth a cost when you got a free wix site.

Also interested to hear if you guys think the page builder addon slows the website down, refering to both other users acessing itand and for those editing the site.

Perhaps I can offer a bit of advice a a person that spent a lot of time in web design/dev world.

Wordpress is bloatware, Wix is easy to use and probably can get you faster from A to B as it is optimised for people who hasnae clue about computers.

Depends what you do, if you're going to write a lot in your blog and rely on social sharing then I would go Wordpress way.

But if you want to just showcase your images and maybe write some posts from time to time, there's another excellent alternative called "koken" - I started using for my photography folio after years of developing on Drupal - it's excellent, however it's just too damn advanced for most very simple sites like folios and such.

Just call me "Ray" raymondtrace's Avatar
    Before discussing what site technology to use, it should be known what the site is supposed to do.

One historical issue with Wix (don't know if it has improved) is that there is rarely any meaningful structure in a page. This is typical of these "casual" web design tools/services. Search engines often do not know how to comprehend the contents of the page and your site becomes difficult to find. You end up designing a beautiful black hole on the internet.

Someone familiar with HTML and semantic markup can usually bend something useful (search engine discoverable) out of these online design tools.

I've been using WordPress with Divi theme from Elegant themes. It uses a graphics driven interface to design your site. Just like wix. I find WordPress more flexible. I don't enjoy doing websites but with Divi I can realise my ideas quickly without digging deep in to the WordPress interface. Worth checking the theme out.
    Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz, 12GB RAM, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, DirectX 11, Twin Display IIyama ProLite E2407HDSD (1920x1080, 32bit, 60Hz)

I use Wordpress with Kriesi themes - I'm another who is not a web designer but just wants them to work.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i7-5960X OC@4.2GHz | 32Gb | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti + GeForce GTX 970 4Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Before discussing what site technology to use, it should be known what the site is supposed to do.

One historical issue with Wix (don't know if it has improved) is that there is rarely any meaningful structure in a page. This is typical of these "casual" web design tools/services. Search engines often do not know how to comprehend the contents of the page and your site becomes difficult to find. You end up designing a beautiful black hole on the internet.

Someone familiar with HTML and semantic markup can usually bend something useful (search engine discoverable) out of these online design tools.
    the site purpose is unknown, it could be anything and nothing
    jus out of curiousity...partly in relation to what we got in our company, and what I may use for own Various stuff (could be anything) and partly if I want to dive deeper in to working with website as webeditor.

I dont see how wix content structure would actually influence the search optimation? there are also addons to help with such stuff I believe, apart from doing your own thing to adress it.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    Perhaps I can offer a bit of advice a a person that spent a lot of time in web design/dev world.

Wordpress is bloatware, Wix is easy to use and probably can get you faster from A to B as it is optimised for people who hasnae clue about computers.

Depends what you do, if you're going to write a lot in your blog and rely on social sharing then I would go Wordpress way.

But if you want to just showcase your images and maybe write some posts from time to time, there's another excellent alternative called "koken" - I started using for my photography folio after years of developing on Drupal - it's excellent, however it's just too damn advanced for most very simple sites like folios and such.
    as far as wix VS wordpress, VS wordpress blog....blogs won´t be anything for me, I want more static webpage ...and as such I would set the reading of any free wordpress blog as static and remove blog widgets, but wordpress blogs by free default option only has a few addons, to add more you need to pay for various models..which then really doesn´t make sense if Wix is there with the page builder plugin that is free..and for wordpress you would either need to pay for additional model or get a webhosting hotel free or at low cost and then add free page builder addons.

I like wix, so easy to get going and quite a lot of options to change themes, buttons, etc as you want, so that is ok...what it mostly comes down to is..
    Page builder slowing down the site...regardless if it is wordpress or wix, and if One of the site is better search optimized in some way, and I would need to research if raymondtrace has a point about that regarding wix having no meaningful structure.

Currently I partly help the company out as web editor, but we are locked to a web agency that holds it as webmaster with admin rights, and the designed page and options we got to internally change design is extremly limited, I could probably just use a as standard wordpress blog page to get more options, but our CEO isn´t keen on changing that ...not until I´ve been part of the company a bit longer, personally I would like to "unlock" the rights so we can do design changes without being charged hour cost for changing a time slide of a banner or making slight changes on backdrops...etc, some logos I can work on the images and update the page with products and info, but not much more, unless entering some codes in the given fields within the design they made.

If I had the full admin rights I could of course go in to the code and change ms to get a changed time slider ..and that is done in just a few minutes, that is what I could do at another company I worked at, but there we worked with dreamweaver and simply edited the css sheets etc, replaced pages with filezilla, so such change would be made in just a few minutes instead of being charged 113,66 usd for one hour of work.for such change, and I also have other choirs to do with simpler product photos, photo-retouch, editing pdfs, creating product sheets, market assisting etc that comes with the price of having me as an employee.

Im absolutly no expert on wordpress..but may want to take a step and learn it more, but at the same time I am not fond of the workflow when working with the wordpress interface, and how it is structured to add content and set menus, and also previewing the site which I think wix does a better job at.