Page 97 of 152 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2279

Thread: Three months, no release, no FB posts since early April, etc.

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norka View Post
    I do want to apologize for something guys ...
    Hey Norka - please don't apologize for your enthusiasm.

There are endless stabs and overflows of many gripes in these posts where people vent (and re-vent) their frustrations in ways which often specifically ridicule and belittle differing view points ... I didn't catch anything like that in your post, it was actually refreshing to read your enthusiasm concerning Octane the other day, with a point by point outline/response to a list of questions.

True, not everyone is going to take Octane on board. As you have pointed out, for some there is the issue of $$, meaning that Octane as a solution is seen to be a bridge too far. No probs, but not reason for you to feel you should apologize for "venting" positively on something worth speaking about :-)

Many thanks jwiede.

So, does anyone know of a good octane skin preset?

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    So, does anyone know of a good octane skin preset?
    Not sure it exists, as far as I played with Octane if you start playing with translucency / SSS the rendering time go through the roof(still nothing crazy like CPU but still) - resolution need to be 2x to battle noise...

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    Hey Norka - please don't apologize for your enthusiasm.
    Otay. :-)

50one, the default render kernel settings (if that's what you were using) are not optimized for fast render results. Settings often need to be tweaked based on type of scene, especially something like closeup of skin. And hell, Denoiser could be out in weeks, or mere days... would make this almost moot I think. We'll have to see just how great it is, but test renders I've seen are damn impressive.

Thanks Norka, massively.

Reading this and after just watching the Darkside presentation, straight from the top, LW and Octane is a match made in heaven and one of the best pairings.

I did venture over to Houdini Indie, it is a great package, tremendous tool, but I got caught up in the hype of procedural. Sure it's wonderful but seriously how many of us solo guys or small teams have the time to write procedural tools?

I could probably model half the city scape and use instances and tricks, mattes using projection techniques etc by the time I had learned VEX or worked out some algorithm to create instant cities.

I think the big problem sometimes is that you get carried away with what can be possible in these softwares without really knowing just how much time is needed to master the advanced techniques of something like Houdini.

Think of how much time is spent trying to create an amazing fur or hair on a character, maybe have 100,000 hairs all realistic but then you realise people are achieving amazing looks with polystrips and other trick techniques. You know you know this, but you still get caught up in realism and get carried away trying to be amazing when simple tricks do the job.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 10-12-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Norka View Post
    I do want to apologize for something guys. I got in on Octane when it was still in beta, five years ago, and it was dirt cheap at that point. And I have only had to pay for an upgrade once, since I was part of the 2.0 beta tester team and got a freebie on 2.0... Soooooo, just now, for the hell of it, I went to check the current prices for Standalone and LW Plug (must have SO and plug to use in LW), and was rather surprised that it is now five hundred and eighty nine bones for the combo... Yowza!.
    So maybe I am not understanding but in order to use Octane with Lightwave you have to buy the Combo License?

What is the stand alone edition and why is that cheaper?

Well, it is not any kind of scam, or bait-and-switch, or anything like that. First of all, the many plugs are developed by 3rd parties, with the exception of 3DSMax, Maya, and Blender, which are developed by one or more Otoy employees. So, for instance, in the case of LW plug and Houdini plug, Juanjo is the 3rd party dev, and (presumably) he is paid a cut of the LW Octane and Houdini plug sales... Crap. Phone call I have to take.. be back in a bit.....

I might be away for a chunk..

https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/faqs/

Scroll down to OctaneRender Plugins and read. ;-)

But it should also be noted that Standalone is very fast to work with, for certain types of projects. For various things, I sometimes export ORBX from LW and work in Standalone. Being able to have different material nodes and/or different versions of meshes, and/or different lighting setups, all laid out in the graph editor is crazy-fast, when you are rendering varying versions of stuff... things like that. So it is really wonderful to be proficient at nodes and Standalone, and it gives you more options, for complex situations. There are other reasons, but I am short on time today... yesterday.. tomorrow......

For anyone who is close to jumping in, I can't think of a better time than right now. You would be so involved, exuberant, etc, in getting up to speed in Octane, that all of your LWN worries/anguish/anger/sadness/etc, would very quickly fade away, as you swim to the deep end. Trust me.
    Last edited by Norka; 10-12-2017 at 12:18 PM.

I do find it kind of annoying but understandable that for each slave machine (for rendering) you have to have a license. I think that is one of the things I like about Lightwave screamernet is that I don't need to have more.
    I guess with octane it makes sense if you build a beast with multiple GPU's which would only be one slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    I do find it kind of annoying but understandable that for each slave machine (for rendering) you have to have a license. I think that is one of the things I like about Lightwave screamernet is that I don't need to have more.
    I guess with octane it makes sense if you build a beast with multiple GPU's which would only be one slave.
    Well ... it is kind of annoying, but the way Octane handles network and slaves is soooo much simpler than screamernet !
    Install the standalone on the slave and ... voilā ! Even the IPR (the VPR-like real-time preview rendering in Octane) makes a full use of all the slaves available.

Quote Originally Posted by THIBAULT View Post
    Be careful ! I'snt the paradise ! 6 Titan X 12Go here to have a professional solution (fixe and animation). And for lighting diffuse interior, no secret, Octane need time and help with external denoising. Soon internal denoising !
    At this time, i use Max / Corona for interior render ! Better solution with denoising !
    Octane isn't really suited for rendering interior space.
    So trying to render something like a moody Resident evil scene or a space station interior will be a challenge for pathtracers.

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Octane isn't really suited for rendering interior space.
    So trying to render something like a moody Resident evil scene or a space station interior will be a challenge for pathtracers.
    Octane and interior renders are definitely a "can do" - just use the direct lighting kernel in Render Targets, this is four times as fast as the PMC kernel. True, this pushes aspects of render quality closer to biased rendering, but very manageable if that is how you are strategising ...

I've been successfully rendering a full hd animation interior scene with 190+ lights plus skylights etc, with Max Samples sitting at 2000. Animated, graduated transparencies (cutaway effect) has been fine at 3000. Slow pans and passes have removed the need for MB in this case.

----------
    Edit: I forgot top mention the above scene fully loaded is ~24million polgons. Again, strategically bringing in only what is required often bring that down to ~16 million ...
    ----------

I agree, there are definitely challenges, but not insurmountable.
    Last edited by Gungho3D; 10-12-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Did some test renders with Octane demo on a character I'm working on. I gotta say, it won me over from its easy setup. It pumps out beautiful images and handles IPR really nice on my old Quadro 4000. I'm actually wanting to go with a 2 GPU solution of P4000 & P5000. Also was instantly happy with how it handles FiberFX at quick speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    Octane and interior renders are definitely a "can do" - just use the direct lighting kernel in Render Targets, this is four times as fast as the PMC kernel.
    Its just plain ugly to use direct lighting kernel with octane for interior shots. Looks very fake. Can't even compete with biased vray in quality.

Page 97 of 152 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast