Thread: Windows Updates for security vulnerabilities

Windows Updates for security vulnerabilities

WannaCry has prompted us to try to update Windows in our pair of VS-100's. NewTek recommends to not update the OS. How are Windows vulnerabilities addressed in the TalkShows?

In this case, I believe you can go a head and update. (In the unlikely event of a problem, you can always use Talkshow's Restore native feature to roll back.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I have tried to run Windows Update, and had no success. Is there something in the Embedded Lockdown Manager that I need to change to allow an update to run?

I wonder if it's simply that it's already up to date ... VS1000 shipped on Windows 8, and I think it may update automatically by default, as does 10. Can you explain precisely what you mean by "no success"? What happens when you attempt to check for updates?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I just get a "Checking for updates" bar that moves but nothing beyond that happens. I've also attempted to update the virus definitions in Windows Defender. The status bar in that window will move to about a third of the way and then stop. It will eventually give an error message that the network has lost connection.

I'm not aware of anything in the TalkShow software installation that would interfere with performing updates. Perhaps CS can offer some suggestions, or a search of related info from Microsoft may be fruitful.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I lack patience. I let the search for updates run over night and came back in to 175 Windows updates, 1700ish MB of data. That's a lot, and it will take a while to find them. It will also take a while to download and install them. I am in the process of downloading and installing them on one of our two VS-100's. Once I get them installed I will test to confirm that TalkShow still functions. I will post again with my results.

I only had 85
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

does that count the subsequent updates? 199 updates total over 5 different search for updates. Only 3 reboots!

Windows Embedded 8.1 has been updated with all patches. Both of our TalkShows work separately on an unrestricted cable modem. There are a couple of things to watch for if you do this. 1. Let Windows Update search for updates overnight. Our VS-100's were fairly new, we've had them about 6 months. There were 175 updates that had to be found. It takes a while. 2. You will need to search for updates a couple of times. You will install a batch of updates, which will unlock new updates, and then do it again. Keep going until Windows Update informs you that there are no new updates. There will be a couple of reboots required. 3. The entire process took 2 days per unit. It took me 3 days because I did one first to make sure I didn't break TalkShow. 4. I had to uninstall and reinstall Skype TX Controller on the first machine because of a missing .dll file. I reinstalled on the second TalkShow, but probably didn't have to. 5. I had to remove all of my channels in the Skype TX Controller and reacquire them to re-establish communication, even with the localhost channel.

Now all I have to do is make it work through our firewalls again.

I hope this helps you.