Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Fire (Flame) Test

  1. #1
    Registered User THREEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryan
    Posts
    1,182

    Fire (Flame) Test

    Here's a short fire animation test I'm working on. It took 10 hours to render 120 frames. I stretched the 4 second animation to 8 seconds and added sound effects and music to give it a little ambience. There are a few kinks such as a moire effect that I'd like to rectify, but at least the flames work. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    https://youtu.be/2tKzvtPW_hk
    THREEL, but you can call me AL.
    John 3:16
    Psalm 14:1
    Philippians 2:9-11

  2. #2
    Hi Threel,
    Please dont take it as a personal attack but what I say here comes from experience and more or less there is a consensus on these forums in this matter.
    I think you are on the wrong track with this approach. The thing is that Hypervoxels are totally and completely outdated because the industry has moved along toward FLUIDS.
    HVs are not the way to make fire anymore.
    Try TFD from Jawset if you want to remain in the LW domain but there is another option which comes for free and it's Blender. Think it as a plugin to LW.
    Or wait for the next release of LW, there is a fluid renderer in the next version as stated by LW3D.

  3. #3
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    12,673
    Agreeing with Bazsa73 , Yes...if you not are familiar with hypervoxels and particles that much, it will take you a lot of time to learn it....so the question is if that costs more than it taste, and if that cost in money could be invested in fluids instead.
    One thing though, if One is familiar with hypervoxels and you got a simple illustration job that needs to be showcased..maybe forensic..accident illustration, which may require fast render and cook up...One may get awa with hvīs and particles..if you know
    what you are doing that is.

    I thing you got something wrong with the particles or something..the fire motion at some time seem to go down ..and not up.

    hv sprites...

  4. #4
    TrueArt Support
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    7,217
    Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    Hi Threel,
    Please dont take it as a personal attack but what I say here comes from experience and more or less there is a consensus on these forums in this matter.
    I think you are on the wrong track with this approach. The thing is that Hypervoxels are totally and completely outdated because the industry has moved along toward FLUIDS.
    HVs are not the way to make fire anymore.
    Try TFD from Jawset if you want to remain in the LW domain but there is another option which comes for free and it's Blender. Think it as a plugin to LW.
    Or wait for the next release of LW, there is a fluid renderer in the next version as stated by LW3D.
    LOL. The last time THREEL revealed in November 2014 that he is using... LW v8.5..

  5. #5
    Registered User THREEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryan
    Posts
    1,182
    Hey! If there's something better than hypervoxels, I'm all for it. My issue has almost always been cost. Being free, I've tried Blender in the past and never cared for it a whole bunch. Never really cared for the UI. As far as the flames going downward, I noticed that as well, but cannot figure out why the simulation is doing that. I have a some positive Y velocity and a little bit of positive gravity in the Y-direction. I did add some +/- in both the particle weight and resistance. I was wondering if that could cause the back draft effect. The sim, also, has kind of a spiral effect going on, which I have no idea why it would be doing so as I haven't added any rotation to it. As Sensei said, I was previously working with LightWave 8.5. I was, finally, able to upgrade to v2015.3 quite a while back, but due to health issues haven't been able to work with it as often as I'd like. On another note. Has anyone worked with Unreal Engine? If so, does it have the capability of fluids? Recently, I downloaded UE and would like know how it performs.

    Thanks for your responses!
    THREEL, but you can call me AL.
    John 3:16
    Psalm 14:1
    Philippians 2:9-11

  6. #6
    TrueArt Support
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    7,217
    It would be easier to help you solving problems, if you would attach scene and object files.

  7. #7
    Registered User THREEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryan
    Posts
    1,182
    FireTest.zip

    See if this gets through.
    THREEL, but you can call me AL.
    John 3:16
    Psalm 14:1
    Philippians 2:9-11

  8. #8
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    12,673
    Quote Originally Posted by THREEL View Post
    Hey! If there's something better than hypervoxels, I'm all for it. My issue has almost always been cost. Being free, I've tried Blender in the past and never cared for it a whole bunch. Never really cared for the UI. As far as the flames going downward, I noticed that as well, but cannot figure out why the simulation is doing that. I have a some positive Y velocity and a little bit of positive gravity in the Y-direction. I did add some +/- in both the particle weight and resistance. I was wondering if that could cause the back draft effect. The sim, also, has kind of a spiral effect going on, which I have no idea why it would be doing so as I haven't added any rotation to it. As Sensei said, I was previously working with LightWave 8.5. I was, finally, able to upgrade to v2015.3 quite a while back, but due to health issues haven't been able to work with it as often as I'd like. On another note. Has anyone worked with Unreal Engine? If so, does it have the capability of fluids? Recently, I downloaded UE and would like know how it performs.

    Thanks for your responses!
    Not sure I got time to test render...beware of what texture effect you choose though, turbulence can yield a looping effect..and that may be something that causes it...velocity is a good texture otherwise as well for fire.

  9. #9
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    12,673
    I also see you have particle rotaion set to align to path, in the emitter tab..and align to path in hv tab...could be interfering...it could also be that you have random resistance so some particles are almost standing still or have little motion..and with texture effects it could cause problems.

    Also to note...your emitter y-size is 2.1336 m ..that will cause trouble, you want the particles to emitt from the ground surface or item..so set that to zero.
    Another tip..add one emission light that has a noise envoleper or texture to similate flickering illumination from fire inside the fireplace.

  10. #10
    Hi, you can download a few examples from here:
    http://www.visionsupreme.net/lightwave/HVFLAMES.zip

  11. #11
    Registered User THREEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryan
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I also see you have particle rotaion set to align to path, in the emitter tab..and align to path in hv tab...could be interfering...it could also be that you have random resistance so some particles are almost standing still or have little motion..and with texture effects it could cause problems.

    Also to note...your emitter y-size is 2.1336 m ..that will cause trouble, you want the particles to emitt from the ground surface or item..so set that to zero.
    Another tip..add one emission light that has a noise envoleper or texture to similate flickering illumination from fire inside the fireplace.
    A few questions:

    1. Should I deselect both Align to Paths, or just one?
    2. Should I just try it without +/- resistance?
    3. How do I go about making the emission light with noise enveloper? I do have a spherical light on the floor, but I'm sure it doesn't have a noise enveloper.
    Also, I just seen that somehow my inner fireplace light was behind the fireplace and emitter. I'm not exactly sure how that happened.

    Thanks!
    THREEL, but you can call me AL.
    John 3:16
    Psalm 14:1
    Philippians 2:9-11

  12. #12
    Registered User THREEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryan
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    Hi, you can download a few examples from here:
    http://www.visionsupreme.net/lightwave/HVFLAMES.zip
    I was able to open this files. Just saw the emitter setup examples as no object files were present. Do you have animations of these? I'd love to see them with the characters involved to get a better idea on how they looked.

    Thanks!
    THREEL, but you can call me AL.
    John 3:16
    Psalm 14:1
    Philippians 2:9-11

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by THREEL View Post
    I was able to open this files. Just saw the emitter setup examples as no object files were present. Do you have animations of these? I'd love to see them with the characters involved to get a better idea on how they looked.

    Thanks!
    https://vimeo.com/21390897
    https://vimeo.com/35523578
    https://vimeo.com/35736996
    These examples were heavily post processed in AE. I used tons of CC motion blur, glow etc. on the raw LW render.

  14. #14
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    12,673
    Quote Originally Posted by THREEL View Post
    A few questions:

    1. Should I deselect both Align to Paths, or just one?
    2. Should I just try it without +/- resistance?
    3. How do I go about making the emission light with noise enveloper? I do have a spherical light on the floor, but I'm sure it doesn't have a noise enveloper.
    Also, I just seen that somehow my inner fireplace light was behind the fireplace and emitter. I'm not exactly sure how that happened.

    Thanks!

    Dont have time to test now...but
    1. kill off both, and try first, later you may add on various settings, but kill of features to see it works decently..then it is easier to track when you add new features ..as align to path etc, so thatīs all I can say now.
    2. kill it off, work without random resistance first, add it later if everything looks good and take not what happens with resistance vs none.
    3. no you are wrong on that part, Every light has intensity..and an envelope to set a noise envelope, turn down the intensity to 0 and click on the "e" button next to it to the right, that brings up the graph editor, by default you will be standing in the curves tab..but click on the modifier tab in the graph editor..go to the add modifier drop down and choose noisy channel, then double click on it and controls for offset, scale, speed will show up next to it to the right.

    make sure you have your spherical light above any object so it isnīt obscured.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •