Thread: Major Issues after upgrade

Major Issues after upgrade

Hi all,

I'm using a 3play on a job it was having issues and found out it hadn't had a system upgrade in numerous years but after doing this the machine has started to fail even more.

Firstly it keeps coming up with 'WARNING: Heavy disk usage causing dropped frames in recording' - I did the system upgrade as we didn't have any of the Publish Queue facilities available. Is this happening because I'm sending 'too much' over the network whilst recording? Surely it can cope with this?

Other issues include the camera 3 & 4 not being functional, if you select them in A or B and move the jog wheel, it goes split screen horizontally with two still images. Only having two channels pretty much renders myself useless for the role.

The newest issue though is the whole system freezing and having to crash close the system during a live programme due to it being dead, this happened twice and it is now a major concern.

Can anyone help with these issues?

Jason

You don't mention which software version you upgraded to or the exact module of 3PLAY. What are your publish settings?

Since you are getting drive warnings and the system is numerous years old, my first guess is if you have a hard drive that is failing which happened to occur time wise with the software upgrade. Can you replace the drives in the removable drive bays to see if that helps? With a 4800 you can replace all of the drives, with the 440, you can replace one of the two drives.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Kanep,

It is a 440 and I upgraded to the latest software patch 3-1 161026, I appreciate issues arise from updates but to kill a drive is a bit excessive. I'll have to have a word with the companies IT department regarding replacing the drives, I am just an operator that works on match days for them but felt I was in a better position to investigate this. It is part of a very small match day operations and only gets used once every two weeks.

My publish settings are just the same as the project, I haven't investigated that further as I wasn't aware you could change the publish settings whilst in record mode. I thought this defaulted to the project settings apart from the 'prepare for web' tick box which I have checked. It is important to publish during the record otherwise the match day work flow is doubled in time.

Hope this helps Kanep

I'm not saying the update killed the drive, just that the two things happens around the same time.

It's not that hard drives MIGHT fail, it's hard drives WILL fail, it's just a matter of time. If your system is multiple years old, this is one of the first things I would recommend. Replace the removable drive and see what happens.

There are no default publish settings on a 3PLAY, whatever you choose is something that has been configured. The prepare for web option will control 3PLAY media into H.264 on export, you might try with this option turned off, with it unchecked it will export is the native format that 3PLAY records in. The target machine will need the NewTek codec's installed in this case.

If replacing drives doesn't help, then a call into support is the next step.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.