Thread: Anyone Willing To Sell Their 10+ Year Old Lightwave License/Dongle?

Anyone Willing To Sell Their 10+ Year Old Lightwave License/Dongle?

Starting off, I hope I am posting this in the right area. The support representative said it was okay to ask so I am hoping that there is not a dedicated area for asking questions like this. Anyways, on with the show!

Hello there, I am in the process of creating a youtube series in which I discuss and showcase old hardware and software and their history like these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkzO2w6EqK4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EipIq8nnwas
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfnbHBn_Es8

But with old workstations/hardware and CGI software instead of games (which I will also include). I have been slowly collecting up a small catalogue of older CGI production software from people I know but I lack a copy of Lightwave 3D that could run on Windows 98, 2000, or XP. The end goal being to talk about and/or live stream the hardware and software used 5-20 years ago while giving historic anecdotes of both and using them for short projects to show what could be achieved in each software environment (3DS Max, Maya, Blender, Lightwave, etc) on different hardware with restrictive deadlines.

For a random example: "Modeling, Texturing, Rigging, Animating, and Rendering a Mech In Lightwave 8 on a Dual Opteron 850-XP System In 1 Week"

I would then talk about the hardware, the software, a little bit of history on both, how it is done vs now, problems with the project, and show the end result. I already have copies of 3DS Max, Maya, and Blender that can run on those old Operating Systems but lack anything from Newtek to round out the selection. I have tried to go through Newtek themselves but it appears (and sorry if I misinterpreted your message if you read this) that it will cost 300 dollars to just get the dongle and no copy of the actual software. Even then, only for special circumstances. That is why I am reaching out to the community and asking if anyone is willing to part with their dongles (that sounds so wrong!).

Ideally I am looking for a copy of Lightwave 6.5 (Windows 98 and 2000) and 8 64 Bit (Windows XP). The customer representative said that they can help me with validating the license to make sure that it is authentic and transferring it to me but it will cost 100 bucks (is that even necessary with a dongle?). That is why I am hoping to avoid breaking the bank with this purchase.

I will only use paypal and payment information would be exchanged through private messages BUT I intend for most discussion short of said payment information to be discussed in this forum to make sure it is all on public record for both of our safety. If you have any questions or concerns then by all means ask!

P.S. I will mention you as the provider of said software in any videos that the software is used in.

Thanks!

When the boss gets in I'll ask him. I think we have a few lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Whelkn View Post
    When the boss gets in I'll ask him. I think we have a few lying around.

That would be awesome!

Has there been any updates?

I have a boxed copy of v8 lying around. Your location states "Canada" - I live in Vancouver. You wouldn't happen to live nearby? You can have my copy. I stopped using LW9, and it is collecting dust now.
    Win7 64- i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    I have a boxed copy of v8 lying around. Your location states "Canada" - I live in Vancouver. You wouldn't happen to live nearby? You can have my copy. I stopped using LW9, and it is collecting dust now.
    I actually live way over in the flatlands (Saskatchewan) and would be more than willing to pay for all shipping-and-handling through paypal. If you are OK with this then I can PM you my shipping information.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitem View Post
    I actually live way over in the flatlands (Saskatchewan) and would be more than willing to pay for all shipping-and-handling through paypal. If you are OK with this then I can PM you my shipping information.
    Sure, that will work for me. Do you want the box and the original manual as well? Those will cost much more to send over the mail - the box is quite heavy. Although it is quite nice to have.
    Win7 64- i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Sure, that will work for me. Do you want the box and the original manual as well? Those will cost much more to send over the mail - the box is quite heavy. Although it is quite nice to have.
    Yes, I will PM you my shipping information so that you can get me a quote.

P.S. By manual do you mean that book with the Tiger dashing through the snow/blizzard or is it just a generic one created by newtek? Either way I will take it.

P.P.S. I do not mind paying a little extra if the whole box is securely packed inside of another box, I ordered a game off of ebay that was shipped unprotected in its game box and it got REKT! The jewel case was thankfully unharmed though.

Right, sent it off to you early this afternoon (in a sturdy CA Post box).

This is the end of my Lightwave era - I have used Lightwave since Amiga times, and decided against installing LW half a year ago when I was forced to install Windows 10.

Sort-of sad feeling in a nostalgic kind of way, but all things come to an end. I switched completely to Blender/3DCoat and other tools in the past few years, and used LW less and less. It was time to let it go.

Immitem, have fun with the software.

Immitem, have fun with the software.
    I will! I first got into 3D modeling and animation with GMAX in 2006 but used Lightwave from 2006-2009 while in high-school. I have not used it since (using 3DS Max, Maya, and Blender since then) but to give it another go on older hardware will be nostalgic AF.