Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Modo 11 going rental?

Quote Originally Posted by magiclight View Post
    A lot of companies are already doing it ( https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ ) and I guess some people do it here also when they use a render farm, but yes, so far it is still optional

Look at John Deere ( https://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-o...ip-john-deere/ ) and GM is going down that path also.
    US laws.. again. You (the people in US, not *you* magiclight ) need do something about those insane laws you're having over there. It is really getting out of hand.

This is getting of topic but we are actually not much better over here, Ferrari requires buyers of some of there more expensive car models to actually get permisson from Ferrari before they can sell the car that you "own", Ferrari wants to know who you sell it to...

You can also not just buy a Ferrari these days, if Ferrari don't like you they can refuse to sell a car to you... ( https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/want-...ving-the-money )
    LightWave 2015.3 - Fantasy web comic: http://rustandmagic.se https://www.facebook.com/rustandmagic57/
    "I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar" (Charlie Starr - Blackberry Smoke)

Well, refusing to sell to anyone is a sellers right. That is not the same thing as the case here, where a company essentially says you don't own the vehicle. Only the right to use it. Despite the customers thinking they actually bought the vehicle at the time. They certainly didn't agree to any "leasing" then. If they wanted to do that, I have little doubt that is what they would have looked for.

This does parallel to the software industry where this subscription (or "leasing") notion is spreading like a cancer. It becomes something good as long as you can pay for it. But what about those that can't for some reason? They lost their job, or whatever changed their financial situation. Should those people then be locked out from their profession, just because there were not offered the possibility to buy a permanent license (even an outdated one) when they could afford it? Or as in the farmers case above... loose their farm because a company says 'no, this vehicle is ours. We take it from you now'.

Short term greed is what this is all about. And taking rights, control and possibilities away from the consumer.

In the words of Yoda: "No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive"

Wink

When it comes to Ferrari or any other luxury brands, it's all about the image, thing is they don't want their cars to end up in complete noob hand that will bash it into very first tree just outside the dealership plus they don't want their cars to be associated with any illegal activities, therefore if you look scruffy, got bag full of $ and want to buy a supercar...

I think they also force their potential customers to take driving lessons before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    When it comes to Ferrari or any other luxury brands, it's all about the image, thing is they don't want their cars to end up in complete noob hand that will bash it into very first tree just outside the dealership plus they don't want their cars to be associated with any illegal activities, therefore if you look scruffy, got bag full of $ and want to buy a supercar...

I think they also force their potential customers to take driving lessons before buying.

Obviously if you're Saudis royal, then f rules and you can buy whatever the f you want...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Well, refusing to sell to anyone is a sellers right.

I'm not so sure about that. In America, not selling to someone for any reason can be discrimination and that's illegal, or at least it used to be. If we don't treat each other fairly and equally everyone loses and hate wins.
    Last edited by sadkkf; 04-21-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

So they went down the Maxon path. Ok... that's not a problem. But... reading the notice I can see that the program will stop working if you let a payment lapse. This raises the question. Is modo now tied to a server to work? Or will the permanent license always work.. regardless of any internet connection like now?

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. In America, not selling to someone for any reason can be discrimination and that's illegal, or at least it used to be. If we don't treat each other fairly and equally everyone loses and hate wins.
    Discrimination needs to be proven, and if that is the case. Then yes, that would be illegal in many countries. That said, a seller usually have the right to block customers for a wide range of reasons. However, if the seller is in a monopoly situation.. then I think a seller doesn't have the right to prevent people from buying that sellers items. But I am not living in the US, so I obviously don't know how the law works there

So they went down the Maxon path. Ok... that's not a problem. But... reading the notice I can see that the program will stop working if you let a payment lapse. This raises the question. Is modo now tied to a server to work? Or will the permanent license always work.. regardless of any internet connection like now?
    It does indeed beg that question, and Foundry don't seem to be in too much of a hurry to clear that up. Did you notice that on the revamped Foundry site, people were complaining because the links to their permanent licences were simply not showing at all ? People have to go into the old Foundry site to retrieve their licences......whilst it is still up. Maybe Foundry did that deliberately.

Discrimination needs to be proven, and if that is the case. Then yes, that would be illegal in many countries. That said, a seller usually have the right to block customers for a wide range of reasons. However, if the seller is in a monopoly situation.. then I think a seller doesn't have the right to prevent people from buying that sellers items. But I am not living in the US, so I obviously don't know how the law works there
    I'm sure there are many valid reasons for choosing to not sell to someone and you're right, discrimination needs to be proven. Sometimes it's openly stated by the seller, which has caused a lot of backlash in certain cases here and those companies have closed.

It's difficult to follow some of these laws here as they're being rewritten all the time to make discrimination perfectly legal. Go figure.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    It does indeed beg that question, and Foundry don't seem to be in too much of a hurry to clear that up. Did you notice that on the revamped Foundry site, people were complaining because the links to their permanent licences were simply not showing at all ? People have to go into the old Foundry site to retrieve their licences......whilst it is still up. Maybe Foundry did that deliberately.
    Yeah.. but since I've been burned by nefarious changes by other companies before.. I have the habit of downloading everything at time of purchase. And I make sure to have backups as well

Also, Modo 11 is already released. I just downloaded it.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 04-21-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Yup... server activation it is. The old way is now "legacy". Without actually buying a new version I can't say if I will still get a proper license file. But somehow I doubt it.

Update:

Well, I *did* get a license file. And it *did* install without internet.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 04-21-2017 at 09:13 AM.

...reading the notice I can see that the program will stop working if you let a payment lapse. This raises the question. Is modo now tied to a server to work? Or will the permanent license always work.. regardless of any internet connection like now?
    It will stop if you are on subscription.....if you are on maintenace "Keep your license, even if you stop paying maintenance."

I think companies should go the Allegorithmic route and let people rent where they are actually paying towards a permanant license

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast