Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Modo 11 going rental?

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Sorry, but the moment MODO added Mesh Fusion and Procedural Mesh generation, MODO accelerated and pulled substantially away from LW+LWCAD in terms of modeling functionality/capability. Those features add capabilities which, though perhaps replicable by manual modeling given infinite time and precision, simply aren't rationally feasible using the tools in LW+LWCAD's modeling arsenal -- for example, use cases such as non-destructive/parametric building/city/road-network generation (a quick example off the top of my head).

One of the reasons that non-destructive/parametric modeling IS such a game-changer, is because it (as now demonstrated repeatedly by users) enhances the modeling output efficiency of users by a exponential amount compared to working in an destructive-workflow modeling environment. The ability to automatically produce large numbers of parametrically-varying sets/collections of objects is a HUGE savings of effort compared to achieving the same using destructive modeling workflows. Users have only begun to tap the potential there in areas like generative environment construction, yet are already seeing immense reduction of effort occurring.

By your own admission, the version of MODO (60x) you're using released over four years / release cycles ago. Such an old version of MODO obviously isn't a useful or reasonable representation of modern MODO modeling capabilities.
    Yep Mesh Fusion is pretty incredible and I could see myself getting considerable mileage out of that for the decorative furniture hardware that I make. But the other work I do is generally pretty simple - flat pack furniture parts- so I use the box tool a lot and LWCad for adding engineering profiles. Most of what's in LW I never touch so I would not touch even more stuff on Modo. No doubt Procedural Mesh generation is great, but when you are working off a sketch with a pretty much known desired result it has less value IMO. Don't get me wrong, LW needs to evolve and get a modern code base so that some of these can be possible, but I won't be asking my boss to upgrade Modo and I won't be upgrading my personal license. Modo does a great job of manufacture file conversion for us as well as some of the tricky UV unwrapping that occasionally comes up. So it really meets our needs even at 601. Here are the results of our work: http://www.sauder.com Everything is initially designed from sketches and then conceptualized with LW before engineering and prototypes are built. No fancy LW or Modo tools needed - just the basics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LWCadMoldings.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	632.6 KB 
ID:	136742

Thank you very much for your answers. For the sake of interest, over the past couple of days I learned one similar video tutorial on the subject modeling and visualization of each of the programs, Modo and Lightwave. Both software showed sufficient opportunities for my tasks, at least at an introductory level, but in general Lightwave seemed clearer and more intuitive, although many things work in a similar way. I still can not decide on the choice, although intuitively I still want to give a chance to Lightwave. I do not know why, maybe because I've been working in Rhinoceros for many years, and some general concept of software and company policies are the same, and I'm just used to this, and maybe because I'm not looking for easy ways, I do not know I have questions, and if I finally stop at Lightwave, can I count on your help and advice, gentlemen?
    At the moment I was interested in saying:

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    Me too, also I like vpr more that modo's.
    Based on the lessons learned, I did not understand just how good a renderer is, the only thing I learned is that they are very good. Could you comment on whether the renderer in the Lightwave can be considered better than in Modo for more complex scenes or for example animation?

And I'm also interested in some general comments on the tools for simulating soft bodies, water, various effects and particles, these two software. Qualitative visualization and the ability to animate good effects for me are very important. I understand that sometimes it's silly to compare different software, but I would like to hear at least sub-subjective opinions. Thank you!

Both renderers are excellent IMO. It's how you interact with them that is different. Modo has the Shader Tree and some node capabilities. LW has its tried and true layer system and a full compliment and extremely powerful node system. I have found things like subsurface scattering to be easier to set up in Modo, but by in large LWs shading system to me is easier to come to grips with. The Shader Tree in Modo has a lot of hidden power but is confusing for me. (Frankly I hate it! ) Download both and see which one clicks with you.

Hip,

For me is a matter of taste. I work with lots of instances, and the response I get with LW is far better than modo, in viewport and vpr. But as I said, it's my opinion.

Of course I work with vpr in draft mode, without it, everything would be different.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Modo's replicators/instances were improved in the new version and performance jumped 10x in some cases.

I like modo's interactive renderer better than VPR. You can save progressive renders much like fprime used to do. so render, save out current quality level, come back later load that in and continue rendering It also has the render focus under the mouse cursor (which LW next will have). It also has a refine endlessly feature so you can continue rendering past your current render settings. In version 10, they added mesh lights allowing you to turn any mesh into an actual light type (cleaner then luminous geometry). You can also render curves in Modo, render particle trails as geometry, micro-poly displacement. Also added in version 10 was Unreal and Unity shaders so you can render your PBR materials as well as seeing the in real time in the advanced viewport with environmental lighting. The physically accurate daylight is nice as well. They added deferred meshes in version 9, allowing you to stream heavy poly models from disk so they don't slow the scene down, but you can see them in your scene and render them as part of the scene. Two different kinds of tone mapping... lots of good features.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Ok, really OT: I think I tried running the HitFilm plugins in Fusion 6 (I have the OFX plugins,) but Fusion 6 broke when I upgraded to Windows 10. Before that, it seemed like I ran into some other compatibility problems with HitFilm and Fusion. Just wondering, does the current 'pro' version of Fusion run HitFilm plugins? I'd like to upgrade but I'm still weighing that decision since I've gone a couple of years now without using Fusion.
    Quick followup: I finally saved up enough money to upgrade to Fusion Studio. My dongle arrived yesterday and 'licensing' is ridculously simple: I just plugged in the dongle and it worked! So much easier than the licensing system Eyeon had for previous versions.

Packaging is simple: box with a dongle and memory card holding the 8.1 installer. I was a little confused that there seemed to be no way to register the license on the website. It turned out I register when I request the 8.2 update from BMD's website. Be sure to hold on to the package...you're going to need if for registration.

BTW, the full installer also includes Generations, which uses the same dongle.

Regarding HitFilm OFX: Fusion apparently does not like the HitFilm plugins. No biggie but I do get a benign OFX error on launch. I recall seeing this error message in back in Fusion 6--I don't remember how I made it stop doing that but I'm sure there's info at the BMD forums.

That's all.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617