Thread: Rotate view around selection

Rotate view around selection

I have a long model (a ship) that I am working on and would like to rotate the perspective view window around a selected point or poly. As an example, the view rotates around the origin, but I am working on the bow. When I rotate the view, it is rotating around the origin and not the area I am working on, so it swings the view around the origin and then I have to hunt down the bow and zoom back to where I was working. I seem to recall doing this before, but can't remember. Or is that a false memory. I do remember painfully searching for an answer to this a long time ago and thought I found an answer. I know it's simple, but I am lost on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Select a point or poly in the area you want to work.

Hit 'SHIFT a' to fit to selection. The view will now be located at the centre of that selection. Usually need to zoom out a little to give some working room. But this is a common practice in Modeler.
    LightWave UX Designer
    LightWave 3D Group
    A Division of NewTek Inc.

"Beautiful things are easier to use" - Don Norman

I knew it was something stupidly simple. I danced completely around that but didn't quite get it. Thanks, now the hair I pulled out trying to get there can grow back.