Thread: Back in the saddle

Back in the saddle

I'm an indie filmmaker who recently decided it was time to get back into CGI, so I upgraded my Lightwave 7 to the latest version 2015.

I was surprised when some of my old models and scene files not only loaded in the new version but were still functional. So I took a little robot character I'd never done anything with...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assemblyb.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	136312

And two months later created a new animated short...

https://www.amazon.com/Some-Assembly...eywords=jibber

I'm not an expert by any means, but so far I'd say my decision to stick with Lightwave has been a good one. Now on to the next film!

Wow. Great job. I loved it.

Hey JibberJabber! The posted picture looks intriguing, but I'll have to watch your short at after work today.

The Lightwave upgrade is pretty nice isn't it? The VPR render is worth the price of upgrade alone IMHO. I was using an older version of Lightwave for the longest time at work (no change between (2006 -2016) and because the type of work never changed I never felt compelled to get the upgrades. But now that I got the latest version, I'm really enjoying exploring all the improvements.

Since my interest is from a filmmaking stand point I'm mainly interested in the character rigging/animation portions. And even with my limited experience with this version, I'm pretty impressed with the new tools. Genoma has worked out pretty well so far in my preliminary tests. Genoma was not used in my current short but will be for the next one. With each new short I want to push what I can do: fire, water, smoke, cloth simulations, hair etc.

That way when I'm ready for my next feature, I'll already know how to do these things and won't burn production time trying to figure it out.

Really great job!