Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long Bone Chains

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by daforum View Post
    Hi jeric.
    I was watching this video the other day and heard the script mentioned: LightWiki™ Live 17/03/2017 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yl1...outu.be&t=1150
    Link no workee.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    This is a great video, thanks! I started playing around with the bone dynamics and I've got lots of evil ideas I want to try, but there's one thing I could not figure out how to do.

Is there a way to have the bone at the top be kinimatic so it does not move, and rest of the bones to be free to move around, but the last bone (or any of the other bones) follows a null or other object as it moves? For example, is there a way to have a rope hanging from a tree, then have a character grab the rope with their hand and move the rope around but still have the top of the rope anchored on the branch?

Thanks,
    Thatīs a lino showcase vid, he is the expert, and I myself havenīt had time to work much with it..along with too many crashes with 2015 made me put such stuff on hold unfortunately, but what I do know...
    The first bone is automaticly made kinematic so it wonīt just drop all bones, you can manually in the bullet tab change any bone to any type of bullet type, so you could actually pin a hanging bridge by making the first bone and the end bone kinematic and let it be affected by gravity in the middle, or move the end bone in various way.
    You could also probably use other hinges type to make it move differently or even use motors.

In this sample (all samples) the bone chain needs to be created in order, and you select the bones you need and make them point to point bulletfx, each bone is connected and set up with a constraint type..which could be changed to hinge, cone twist, slider, spring etc...and that determines the connection movement constraints, while the bones themself are made as rigid bodies.

I would say yes to your proposed scenecase without having testing it, It should be possible ..In my mind

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Link no workee.
    Oh no!
    This one should work as i've just copied and pasted the link!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6yl1fb4DGjA
    Last edited by daforum; 03-24-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......ŦŦ go on, click on a link!

I just rediscovered the germinator plugin, and I must have missed something seriously good while testing it way long time ago, the germinator plugin is sort of an L-system, where you specify rules how the polygon branch or the polychain will be made, and what I missed is that you can go in to the options tab, and let it create skelegons at the same time it creates the L-system, so if you know your Axioms ...or load some of the accompanying seed scripts in to germinator, you can then create a tree branch already rigged, of course... you could do similar with the dp verdure tree pack, but this may be a bit simpler and more specific when setting the L-system rules, It works nicely to do roots, convert skelegons to bones in layout, apply ik booster and bone dynamics, add a rock, make it a collision object then hit ikb calculate and make the roots drape over the rock.

Can you demonstrate the ideas you suggest above?
    Would like to see ( to learn ) the 'roots drape over rocks' idea as that sounds good.
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......ŦŦ go on, click on a link!

seem to recall Prometheus made a video on it earlier on?

a video, partly there...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by daforum View Post
    Can you demonstrate the ideas you suggest above?
    Would like to see ( to learn ) the 'roots drape over rocks' idea as that sounds good.
    my desktop computer is down, so I need to install the recording tools first..like camstudio etc, and see how it goes on my laptop, it would be a bit slower..but I wonīt be able to record until the weekend, If I get the time.
    But basicly you use ik-booster as mentioned..and partly as shown in the vid I did as erikals pointed to, william vaughan also has an ik booster octopus on the tube somewhere that conforms to a collision object.
    For a tree, or roots you first need to dress the tree up with skelegons and convert to bones, but if you use dp tree you just create the tree mesh first, drop the tool, after that, select your layer with the main object you need to create the tree and run the tree plugin again..the previous setting should be intact..but this time you just create the tree in render / line mode, itīs located just under add preset..and from there you choose subpatch mesh or poly mesh or just line, so line is what you want in the background layer, then you convert that layer to skelegons,
    convert to skelegons can be found under setup/skelegons/more/convert skelegons..
    adjust the direction if any bone is in need of that by hitting "f" for flipping polygon.

Then itīs just a matter of sending it to layout and convert skelegons to bones, add ik booster, make your rock or ground object a collision object (old legacy collision objects) and hit ikb calculate, now you could also use bullets bone dynamics, which may be a bit harder to set up since it requires a certain order...and you wont get ik booster to work with that if you want to manually adjust the roots as well.

my previous post was about germinator, an old plugin that you would need to enter certain L-system axioms..so you can get very interesting branching there as well, though dp tree is specially designed for treeīs...Germinator has a mode to create the L-system with skelegons directly though..so you do not have to go through the steps you do for dp tree to create the skelegons...so itīs a bit faster there, a future idea may be if Denis could implement a skelegon mode as well for
    dp tree, and work a bit more on the root system to allow it for more extended branches in several split generations.

You can also use blender and lightwave in combo, that is to use any polyline structure (edges) and fold it dynamicly to any object in layout with bullet deforming body or clothfx legacy, then save it as transformed object, load it in to blender and add the skin modifier wich wraps a mesh around the polyline structure.

On the other hand, you can draw instant mesh roots with the newer blender..or use grease pencil and convert to paths and then bevel thicken them, that suggest a perfect drawn curve and mesh over any surface, while using the dynamic method allow for gravity wrapped structure and that can produce gaps between the rock/ground and the root ..where they dynamic forces has interacted..and it may actually be what you want.

hereīs William at it with an old ik booster tute...what you need to figure out for yourself...by my description, that is how to rig the tree with previous suggested workflow with dp tree...

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    seem to recall Prometheus made a video on it earlier on?

a video, partly there...

Ahh..great..I thought you pointed to my vid first, but thatīs how to do it, as I mentioned in my previous post, it would be great if dp tree worked as germinator, germinator creates skelegons directly if you check that box in the germinator options.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123