Thread: Looking for an alternative to Original Livestream for an upcoming job - any ideas?

Looking for an alternative to Original Livestream for an upcoming job - any ideas?

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice on CDN options and wondering if anyone can help? The vast majority of the streaming projects I’ve worked on recently have been to Facebook Live or YouTube, but this is a legacy streaming job I need a new solution for!

Here’s the current set up:

• I’ve done a regular live stream for a client for 3-4 years now and always used the Original Livestream platform for this.
    • The main reason being that I’m able to run a holding video from my Livestream Original account on a loop that shows details of the broadcast for a week or two before the live event itself. This holding video is embedded on my client’s website (white labelled) and when I go live from my TriCaster 460, it goes live on their site and then goes back to a looping video when the broadcast is done = happy client

The Problem:
    • My experience in working with Livestream has not been good recently to put it mildly
    • Livestream are no longer offering any support for the original platform and it’s getting so bad that I need to find an alternative as streaming can be stressful enough without your CDN misbehaving
    • I’m almost certain their newer platform doesn’t allow you to play a looping video before going live and even if it did, for this job (twice a year) my client won’t pay a big annual fee
    • I need to therefore find a new CDN that allows for white labelled embedding of not only the live stream, but a looping pre-recorded video that ideally has a monthly subscription model

If any of you know of any solutions out there that might fit the bill, I’d love to hear them!

Thanks,
    Simon Malone
    Certified Tricaster Operator
    TricasterOperator.co.uk
    TricasterTraining.co.uk
    About Me | Day Rates

So, you won't have any access to the embed code before or after event?

What we've done is use YouTube for the pre-show and live stream. Then we encode and host the "official" post show stream via Vimeo.

However, that does take some changing around of the embed code and the encoding process after the fact on Vimeo is not instant.

BUT, it is free!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Hi Fritz,

Unfortunately I don't have access to the embed code/their website on the run up to the event or the event itself. I like your free solution (always a winner!) and I'm keen to get them to go down the YouTube route, but they are dead against it and are concerned that it will be shared all over Facebook and Twitter and thousands of people will watch it. Given that less than 300 of their invited employees ever join the stream, I'm not sure it's something they need to worry about, but you get the picture!

It's really frustrating as the Original Livestream set up has worked pretty well for years with the holding video and auto "go live" function before going back to a holding video (there are 5 different live sessions on the day), but it's just a shame the platform seems to be being held together with a bit of string and a piece of chewing gum these days and can't be trusted!
    Simon Malone
    TricasterOperator.co.uk
    TricasterTraining.co.uk
    About Me | Day Rates

I have been on productions that have successfully used UStream. Can't vouch for them but they are owned by IBM now, so it would seem that they would be pretty well positioned to do whatever you need.

Fritz

Just wondering why you don't shift over to the new Livestream platform? We were using the old one when we first started, but shifted to the new one with zero issues.

The only reason I've not moved over to the new platform for this client is just because they love having that looping pre event video so much (and it's easier for me to just send them one embed code and go live from it and then back to the holding VT over the course of the day). The new livestream doesn't have this functionality which is annoying as I always thought it was a nice feature on the original one! Looking like I'l have to go to the client and suggest a new approach, but thought it was worth asking to see if anyone had any alternatives.
    Simon Malone
    TricasterOperator.co.uk
    TricasterTraining.co.uk
    About Me | Day Rates