Thread: Modeler/Layout sync?

Modeler/Layout sync?

Hi,

I have used LW for over 10 years.
    With my previous machines if I made a change to a model in Modeler, it changed it in Layout also without a need to save it first in Modeler.
    I now got a new machine and have the same LW (11.6.3) but I need to save the model first in Modeler before it changes in Layout.

Is there a way to change this? Is there some tab I need to press?

Thanks!

My personal feeling is that the sync between modeler & layout is very unstable. Sometimes it syncs perfectly without saving and sometimes I need saving and sometimes it doesn't sync at all.

TrueArt Support
    Not saving objects, is IMHO stupid and irresponsible. Application can crash. There could be power failure. And work will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Not saving objects, is IMHO stupid and irresponsible. Application can crash. There could be power failure. And work will be gone.
    Sometimes you just don't want to save. You just want to test things out first then if it turns out good you want to save otherwise you want to keep it as it is. I do this all the time.

I didn't think Layout updated with Sync until you saved the object--that is, I thought saving the file was the trigger.

Or is that just with the Hub? (I'm usually running with Hub at work and at home.)

Anyway, I always version up files, this way I always have the option to go back without worrying about mistakes or crashing. You can always just undo after saving too. (Well, most of the time anyway.)
    Last edited by Greenlaw; 03-15-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Sometimes you just don't want to save. You just want to test things out first then if it turns out good you want to save otherwise you want to keep it as it is. I do this all the time.
    This. Would be a great feature.

Let's make it better: have a stepped reversion feature that allowed the user to step backwards (and forwards!) thru revisions, at will.

Within any one session-- I'm not CRAZY.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    For testing nodes or surfacing techniques, I am using Layout Modeler Tools > Sphere.

Jeric, infinite Undos that you could browse by time stamp is what Newtek had implemented in the now discontinued Speed Edit, and it was pretty awesome. But a modifier stack approach would be better for a 3d app.
    In order to have an object in layout you have always had to save it first, at least once, then it should keep in sinc whether or not you save again. The exception are the primitive shapes that can be made in Layout of course. To try things out without disturbing a saved object you could use the save incremental function.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Well, sure there's workarounds (hell, it's half the workflow) but I'm wishing for something more intuitive: a "Revert" button with some extra info so you don't have step backwards linearly.

I think LW/LWM would need better versioning control to make that actually useful.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

The only time I ever see the syncing break is when you load up multiple instances of one of the 2 applications.

I.E. if you double click a model file in a windows explorer window, while already having modeller open, it will spawn a second instance of modeller and break the link between modeller and layout. Usually requiring the applications to be restarted to fix it.

EDIT: and this is personal experience combined with running 1 to 2 classrooms full of lightwave installs (40+ licenses) for the last 10 years.

Syncing has worked fine on them all unless someone does what I said above.
    uh wha?