Thread: Graphics cards for Octane nirvana issue...

Graphics cards for Octane nirvana issue...

Hey all... After doing some google searches, I have decided to throw a dart in here and see where it lands.

I used to run two nVidia gtx 980s until I upgraded to a 1080. Along with other things (games), I like to use the cards for Octane Render.

I can run one or the other family of cards. However, if I populate another slot with a 980 while the 1080 is installed, I have loading issues with Windows.

I then have to remove the 1080, put the 980 in, removed the drivers, remove the 980 and replace with 1080 to get it working again.

Essentially, my dual 980s are sitting collecting dust when they could be working on Octane renders. But the cards don't seem to play nice. What a waste. I am wondering if there is that much of a difference in architecture in hardware and drivers or if is a motherboard issue as it is a little older...

My motherboard is a Gigabyte x79 UD3. I have ran different types of cards on it in the past with little to no issues.

Any thoughts on how to get my cards all working happily? I don't think it is a power issue either as a 850 watt psu should be able to handle, at least, two of the cards if not all three..

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Perhaps the obvious solution is that the two families of cards just don't like each other. My old mind could be remembering running different types of cards (all nVidia) incorrectly. Now that I think about it, that is probably the simplest and correct answer.

So, I am wondering if a 3rd party exterior rack or box would be a solution. Would those devices that some of you use install proprietary drivers that makes those GPUs generic devices and not conflict with, perhaps, one or the other causing a conflict with the display drivers? Just looking for a good solution to use the rendering horsepower. Perhaps I should sell the two 980s and put the money toward a new 1080 ti......?

Anybody looking for a couple of 980s in the U.S.? :-)

-Adrian

A lot of views here and no comments. Well, no matter... I got the 980's behaving with the 1080.

I had to clear the cmos and reload factory defaults. Seems to be working without a hitch and I do see an improvement in Octane's performance! Now to throw the other 980 in there as well. But I am thinking I will need to upgrade my PSU... Running an 850 watt, but thinking that I am going to need a 1200 watt to handle the requirements once all three are in.

Alright, move along... nothing to see here.

-Adrian

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Hey ActionBob - hang in there :-)

This subject of Octane + an (affordable!) 3rd party external rack is probably of greater interest to many more than the number of responses seem to indicate ...

... same as per the recent http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....with-LightWave

If you discover anything along those lines, please update us!

Renee's Rig for multi Cards, I think I upped details on Geforce before the site Crash?

i'll check my archives...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Noo6yVZaM

Got them: 1 in Canada 1 in Germany Not expensive solutions,you will need 1,000 Watt Psu'ers

Amfeltec’s “GPU-Oriented PCIe Expansion Cluster Renne will know the German firm. Good for GTX980's

Good Luck Tell us how You Get On.

Well, I thought I had it licked as far as having all my cards in one chasis. However, the next day after successful use, it started to do the same thing - It would not boot completely. I once again had to remove the 1080, boot with 980, then remove the drivers, install 1080 and then install new drivers (after having scrubbed the old ones away). So, still looking for a way to utilize my other two 980s along with the 1080. I was thinking that perhaps it was a power issue, but from what I have read, i should be okay to run two of those cards with a 850 watt power supply. Might be a motherboard issue too - but wouldn't explain how it worked fine for one day.

Was looking at Amfeltec - perhaps utilizing an old case I have, but would still need to get the board and add-in PCi card. My only concern is that I would be in the same boat - the card not playing nice with each other....

Could be a motherboard incompatibility thing - but still would not explain the working fine for a day thing...

Sigh... Those 980s are just collecting dust.... Thought about selling them and putting in a couple of 1070s.. Figuring staying within same family might work better - but it shouldn't really matter (at least from what I have researched).

-Adrian

We looked into an Amfeltec (2x 1080s and 2x 980s here) but ended up just getting a second Octane & plugins licence, and running them in two workstations. What we lost in cost we gained in flexibility, as we can use all four cards on a single job across the network or separately on two different jobs at the same time.
    Matt Knott / VERSUS
    http://www.versus.nu

That would be about the same price as getting the Amfeltec setup as I DO have a old PC sitting in my office that is unused. I suppose if could host the two 980s and if networked with my machine via another Octane license....... hhhhhmmmmmmmm..... Interesting - had not thought about utilizing that other machine - it has been collecting dust.. I will have to give this some consideration.

-Adrian

A Bob,

hey i finally retreived these...... 7 cards water-cooled in one Box

http://tomglimps.com/7_gpu_workstati...0_octanebench/ AUG 2016 MOBO ASUS X99 E WS

Suppliers for bits in Germany are: shop.aquacomputer.de

Look at their close-outs for 980's

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionBob View Post
    That would be about the same price as getting the Amfeltec setup as I DO have a old PC sitting in my office that is unused. I suppose if could host the two 980s and if networked with my machine via another Octane license....... hhhhhmmmmmmmm..... Interesting - had not thought about utilizing that other machine - it has been collecting dust.. I will have to give this some consideration.

-Adrian
    Hey Adrian

As a solution, that will work.

Here is what else I know: you will need a speedy network connection, plus the end result will not be a perfect linear scaling regards rendering speed increase. At (my place of) work, depending on network traffic, rendering speed increases have ranged from a low 2/3rds of actual GPU's available to "almost" 1:1.

Here's the bright side: it still means you can kick butt regards getting your art done!

Later, as you make your fist mill, you can add extra 1080's to your main box and add 980's to the other ... :-)