Thread: Cache and Temp dir with SSD disk

Cache and Temp dir with SSD disk

Hi! Sorry for my bad english, hope i can explain this issue... We know the Solid State Drive (SSD) disks are substantially different than the traditional Serial ATA (S-ATA) mechanic-based ones: SSD reading very fast but it's not proper the extensively writing cache data and scratch-disk operability. Moreover actual Windows based workstation configurations have 2 (or more) disk drives usually, generally one SSD disk to OS and applications and one (or more) S-ATA disk drive to data. It's opportune to assign the second drive to caching data and scratch-disk operations. Generally the CGI applications (3D and 2D) gives the possibility to customizing their caching data directory, assigning it to another custom directory on second (or other) drive instead of the classic Windows Temp Directory (usually "User Profile\AppData\Local\Temp") based on "C" drive.
    In LightWave there is not possible.
    In the other CGI apps we can customizing this directory editing the appropriate environment variables and ZBrush has a text file able to assign it to its config dir. In Adobe apps we can setting this one in their "preferences" menu.
    We can porting the complete Windows User Temp directory to another disk location but this can give more issues: in Dell Precision machine (i have it one) this porting can loose the disks partition table at startup or reboot...
    Does it possible to assigning the LW Temp and program cache directory to different disk drive, detaching to Windows Temp dir?
    If not, will it possible in the next LW releases?
    Hope i'm not verbose and sorry for eventual errors. Thank You very much.

Please, does anybody tell me something about the optimal setting of the LW "temp" directory on SSD disk? Maybe does it better to deactivate Hub on it? Or something? I have read about SSD disk it's very suitable the deactivation of the Windows paging file or the manually reduction of its memory assigning...
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RoX; 03-13-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Not sure what exactly you are trying to do.
    But I have an SSD main drive, which is where LW is installed and runs from.
    I have a second SSD I use for all caches (TFD, Fusion etc), basically anything that has a cache location option I point to second SSD.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.11 LW 2015 Fusion 8 Oculus Rift Gear VR

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Not sure what exactly you are trying to do.
    But I have an SSD main drive, which is where LW is installed and runs from.
    I have a second SSD I use for all caches (TFD, Fusion etc), basically anything that has a cache location option I point to second SSD.
    Well. I'm very sorry for my bad english. I noticed you're on the Mac, I'm talking about LW Temp directory (Hub, program temp files...) shared with the Windows User Temp. Does it possible to assign the LW Temp directory on another disk detaching to Windows User Temp directory? Also i know SSD disks suffers the programs writing cache (see every SSD optimization guide on the web) on the Windows... I have my project directories on the second drive me too.
    Last edited by RoX; 03-14-2017 at 05:55 AM.

RoX, what are you trying to achieve.
    I'm not sure why you want to move the temp folders

If you look in the Preferences panel in Layout, you can assign a path for Image Cache and Vertex Cache.
    Last edited by Markc; 03-14-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.11 LW 2015 Fusion 8 Oculus Rift Gear VR