Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 129

Thread: Wow maybe LW is dead. New blog - few comments.

  1. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by papou View Post
    i can't believe they show that coloured explosion smoke again... masochistic communication.
    Did they? Because Matt did that very nice correction smoke render and they should've swapped it with the other one, seems such a waste that someone on the development team does a better render but it doesn't get used.

  2. #92
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,136
    Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    doubt it, forums are just not what they used to be, in 2015 the forum often had around 2-3000 active users a day, and this mornings statistic is... 14. and on facebook, 35,000 people mentioned lightwave today
    Whatever's happening here clearly isn't "generally impacting all 3D product forums proportionately". Were "loss of interest in forum use" a general thing, it should affect other 3D product forums' activity at the same proportionate level as LW's forum has been affected. In reality, though, other 3D products' forum activity numbers haven't dropped by nearly as great a proportion (if at all) as the LW forum activity has dropped in the last two to three years.
    Last edited by jwiede; 03-19-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.5),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

  3. #93
    www.Digitawn.co.uk rustythe1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    652
    actually I sort have to disagree, sites like foundation 3d, cg architect, cgtalk and a lot of others have been declining drastically, poor old foundation that once was one of the best forums out there has got to just a handful of diehard users.
    it may be true that some product forums may be more active as there is not as much of a response on social media.
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

  4. #94
    www.Digitawn.co.uk rustythe1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    652
    also worth noting, the main LW product FB page has 20,000+ followers where as Modo have 400, maya has 500, 3d max only has an unofficial page and the last official post on that was October last year although it has slightly more followers than LW, but only 10,000 more, I would have expected that number to be higher, maybe it just shows LW users want to be more social than autodesk/other app users, auto desk only really use their social pages for advertising and not engaging the public like LW group do,
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

  5. #95
    The foundry's website isn't exactly bustling these days either. And their re-design of the site has worsened it.

  6. #96
    www.Digitawn.co.uk rustythe1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    652
    I think social media paints a good and different picture than the forums do, the more you look at the statistics the brighter LWs future looks, its about level pickings with Zbrush, only just bellow blender who I would expected to be a lot more social, there are also the unofficial LW groups which again beat the MODO maya groups by large margins,
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

  7. #97
    Carbon fibre dongle® 50one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    2,104
    Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    I think social media paints a good and different picture than the forums do, the more you look at the statistics the brighter LWs future looks, its about level pickings with Zbrush, only just bellow blender who I would expected to be a lot more social, there are also the unofficial LW groups which again beat the MODO maya groups by large margins,

    Worth to mention is also the noise to signal ratio within followers, having 10000 followers on FB is amazeballs but a lot people there, follow for no reason, look fir jobs etc. How many of them are active users who invested or invest into software?


    That's my observation based on the past couple of years working indirectly with folks from social media industry.

    I have looked into FB LW account few times and not surprisingly it was prety much the same folks who hang around in here, maybe couple more unfamiliar faces(to me at least).


    Maya is much more widely adopted by folks who are older and probably don't care or don't have time to spend it on FB. That's kinda me included, work, family, spending weekends away and I have no idea how people have time to waste it on social media be it twitter, facebook or whatever.


    To me forums are much better format to catch up and post info that you can always find some time later on.
    Last edited by 50one; 03-20-2017 at 06:15 AM.

  8. #98
    Super Member Chris S. (Fez)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    The foundry's website isn't exactly bustling these days either. And their re-design of the site has worsened it.
    I used to glance at the Modo forums daily for news and opinions. Not since the re-design.

  9. #99
    Carbon fibre dongle® 50one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow Scotland
    Posts
    2,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    I used to glance at the Modo forums daily for news and opinions. Not since the re-design.
    I know that the new design didn't go down well.
    However the above statement is as crazy as "I'm not buying Porsches anymore since they refurbished their dealer's office"


    But I agree it lost the momentum...

  10. #100
    Registered User Wickedpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Under the bed
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    I used to glance at the Modo forums daily for news and opinions. Not since the re-design.
    I´m guessing you´re not on Facebook then....?

  11. #101

    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    The foundry's website isn't exactly bustling these days either. And their re-design of the site has worsened it.
    yeah, whattup with that Modo forum design, disappointed... :/
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  12. #102
    Super Member Chris S. (Fez)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    I know that the new design didn't go down well.
    However the above statement is as crazy as "I'm not buying Porsches anymore since they refurbished their dealer's office"


    But I agree it lost the momentum...
    Well, key word was "glance". The old forums allowed me to quickly take in the topics of the day. I find the new Modo forums inefficient and messy. Given the precious few postings since the swap, it seems I'm not the only one. Doesn't mean I don't support the company and software.

    I rarely post anything anywhere anyway. Perhaps the Modo forums will pick up once 11 is announced or released.

  13. #103
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    12,489
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Whatever's happening here clearly isn't "generally impacting all 3D product forums proportionately". Were "loss of interest in forum use" a general thing, it should affect other 3D product forums' activity at the same proportionate level as LW's forum has been affected. In reality, though, other 3D products' forum activity numbers haven't dropped by nearly as great a proportion (if at all) as the LW forum activity has dropped in the last two to three years.
    That´s kind of the same as my suspecious thoughts on it as well, it´s probably a mish mash of the lw group actually being more active there, which in turn makes users feel the need to go there, and go less here..and the lack of communication here, it´s probably all related.



    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post


    yeah, whattup with that Modo forum design, disappointed... :/

    Huh...have to visit it and see, otherwise the gallery section was superior before to what we had here, and thus I rather go there to look at 3d works than here, but if it has gotten that worse, then I am better of not visiting it..as well as reduce time here on the forum and skip facebook, and voila...I have more time for actuall hobby work, or do tutorials now with a voice since I finally got me a headset.

  14. #104
    Scene Destroyer DrStrik9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,642
    I suspect that, like the Core debacle, LW3D dev team may have bitten off more than they could easily chew, with the rewrite of the most basic elements of what any 3D app must address. (I'm no developer, so this is only a guess.) There are MANY separate parts to LW, many of them written years ago, many of them using "easy way out" methods, and each one must be adapted to any new basic stuff. I imagine the job would be endlessly HUGE.

    In light of these probabilities, I imagine we're in for a much longer wait than we anticipated at the beginning of this journey. I just hope LW3DG can survive the financial stress of it.

  15. #105
    Super Member CaptainMarlowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Belfort, France
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    actually I sort have to disagree, sites like foundation 3d, cg architect, cgtalk and a lot of others have been declining drastically, poor old foundation that once was one of the best forums out there has got to just a handful of diehard users.
    it may be true that some product forums may be more active as there is not as much of a response on social media.
    +1
    I sure don't know about how C4D forums perform, but if I take into consideration the ones I use to fequent, almost all of them have declined or died in the last years. This is not related to Lighwtave, for sure. In France, there are almost no 3D forums left without more than an a few regular users when there were quite a lot ten years ago. I meet much more more creativity and help on FaceBook than on any forum, now, even if it took me a lot of time to create a FB account. But now, I'm glad I did.
    Maybe the forums that can use tapatalk on mobile devices managed to keep a community, like 3D-coat, I don't know.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •