Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Wow maybe LW is dead. New blog - few comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Well, key word was "glance". The old forums allowed me to quickly take in the topics of the day. I find the new Modo forums inefficient and messy. Given the precious few postings since the swap, it seems I'm not the only one. Doesn't mean I don't support the company and software.

I rarely post anything anywhere anyway. Perhaps the Modo forums will pick up once 11 is announced or released.
    I agree as so was I.

For me back then (as proud owner of 401) it is a place I hang out after being shadowbanned at CGTalk. (if you search my post at cgtalk, it will not mentioned banned under my username, but I can no longer post there). But after the redesign, I hang out at blenderartist more. I guess I'm old school in this regard, having active participant at forums back in 1998ish.

But yeah, I notice that forum participation has ... withered ...? due to social media and old people retired...

Anyway, this year I have a budget for an upgrade (and just purchased allegromithic (sp?) texture tool. i can't wait to see what modo and lw have in store.

gallery section was superior
    that might be, i'm an info hunter though, so Gallery is often last stop.

or do tutorials now with a voice since I finally got me a headset.
    three kings!!!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   FogBugz   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by DrStrik9 View Post
    In light of these probabilities, I imagine we're in for a much longer wait than we anticipated at the beginning of this journey. I just hope LW3DG can survive the financial stress of it.
    3 weeks ago, speculation from a LWG member was that it would be out within 3 months.
    lets C.

as far as i recall the owner of NT is damn wealthy guy, so don't think there should be a problem.

As of tomorrow, it'll be five weeks since Lino posted his comment (on Feb 14th).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

ah, thought it was less..

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    The foundry's website isn't exactly bustling these days either. And their re-design of the site has worsened it.
    That redesign was awful. The TF forum is like an apple product website.

That color scheme is way too light, hurts the eye of the average tired 3D guy.

lw is dead off topic..
    But what on earth did foundry do with the fontīs ? Itīs all jagged all over the place, and the rest..nah, found it difficult to navigate fast and easy to the modo forums, and it looks dull.

Modo's forums are fine. Keeping up with modern design style (which is understated) and I like it. Also works nice on a small mobile device. Makes sites like this look like yesterday's news. The current design style is understatement with emphasis on the content rather than the presentation of the content which is just distracting. Like this site is.

This site is falling behind. Younger people I expect are what is driving the understated look which no doubt comes from market research. Before you over 50 (I am 58 this month) and even some over 60, crowd get your depends in a wad, think about the larger picture here.

Attracting new talent to LightWave. Yes? Is that the plan? Should be.

If not, then I think we should shift the discussion to the fact that it is not LW software that is dying or nearly dead.... just saying.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 03-21-2017 at 01:59 PM.

I think The Foundry built their own forum from scratch. LW uses vBulletin, which you can see at the bottom of this page. Currently, LW3DG uses 4.x, so maybe it'd feel more current if they upgraded to the latest version.
    I personally have no problem with LWs forum design. I used to like MODO's, but it's horrible now. I'm not that old, so I'd like to think I still know what young people like

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Modo's forums are fine.
    Not fine and that's speaking as an actual modo user.

http://community.foundry.com/discuss...orum-is-slowly

http://community.foundry.com/discuss...s-catastrophic

So they have a bunch of grumpy old 50 + codgers over there too. Apple does not fall to far it seems.

But seriously. Look around you. People are mobile. These small devices are driving what goes into graphics and web design.

Bulletin 5

http://www.vbulletin.com/en/themes/

The designs we see for web today have to work well on mobile devices. It is not even an option anymore. It is an absolute must. The old version of vBulletin (the one they are using here) is horrible on a phone or tablet. Just nasty bad. Does not play well on a small device and that is a sin today.

So they have a bunch of grumpy old 50 + codgers over there too. Apple does not fall to far it seems.

But seriously. Look around you. People are mobile. These small devices are driving what goes into graphics and web design.

You're 58. I'm no where near your age. So... far from grumpy.
    But that website is not efficient as a forum. Its the blender3d of forums. Exaggerating.

And I'm always mobile even in the 30 countries I've visited. I LOL when people say they don't have fb today(no friends huh, or too old with old friends not into fb ). Just kidding.

Look around you. People are mobile. These small devices are driving what goes into graphics and web design.
    Have you just started noticing this? That idea is a decade too late.
    People have been mobile and internet savvy before smart phones were mainstream.

Before Ios and android, we were using Foma for mobile phones for surfing and doing face chats more than a decade ago.
    The US was really behind that time.

Nice try. But I am certian you are well aware of the recent proliferation I am referring to. Not taking the bait for the sake of argument.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast