Thread: Legato - beta 2

Legato - beta 2

Hi everyone.

After a long year I'm exited to start 2017 by sharing my latest updates on Legato and I've decided to move on to the next stage: beta 2.
    It's free, just like beta 1.

"Beta 2" means that it should be(come) good enough and stable enough to use it in a small character animation production.
    I'm not pretending it's complete. Many features can be added (like the render queue management) or improved (like the NLA features) but I really want to get started with a real CA project and see how Legato is doing.

For now I've been focussing on the animation process within the scope of a story.
    The idea is to assist in planning, recycling and evaluation as much as possible in order to prevent loss of work and promote efficiency and improve control of overall quality.

Soon, I hope to publish the next build with some simple demo material and a manual.
    The manual is important to myself, to help me reminding the use of all its features and to act as a QC checklist because features tend to become broken in the long run.

Some new features that I've added recently:

- Groups: sets of random combination of Objects/Bones/Lights/Cameras that can be used in every classic Legato feature like TimeBender, ReTimer, Quantize, Bake, etc.

- TextTracks: quickly add text strings per frame, on the upper- or lower track. It has 2 separate tracks for Objects/Bones, 2 separate tracks for Lights and 2 separate tracks for Cameras. As soon as you switch to a different Genus, the corresponding TextTracks are displayed, even when there are no Objects/Bones in the scene. These six tracks are stored in the Legato plugin data section of the LWS scene file. TextTracks don't move with TimeBending or ReTimer functions, and they can only exist in the positive frame range (not in the Library section, the negative frame range). To add a text string in the upper area: double click on a frame in the upper graph area. To add a text string in the lower area: double click on a frame in the lower graph area. Click anywhere to accept a text string. Each TextTrack has its own muted color. During playback a label will highlight in yellow. To clear a TextTrack in a range of frames: select a frame range and press key 'K' to kill the text in the upper area or press key 'k' to kill the text in the lower area.

Example of TextTracks: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LegatoB2_TextTracks.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	473.1 KB 
ID:	136025

- A RenderProfile.cfg file can be Exported or Imported, manually or (Imported) automatically during scene load. Eacht *.cfg file contains the 4 Legato RenderProfile presets. By keeping important render aspects in one file, it becomes easier to control overall quality level for all shots at once.

Example of modifications to Legato Config F7: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LegatoB2_ConfigP1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	136026

- Legato Config F7 has been expanded by 2 pages: Shot Notes and a Production Log. Each page contains three listboxes that contain arrays of text strings that are saved in the Legato plugin data section of the LWS scene file.

Legato Config F7 page 2: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LegatoB2_ConfigP2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	136027

Legato Config F7 page 3: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LegatoB2_ConfigP3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	136028

- An improved window layout system. Not perfect but more predictable.

- Expanded Playback modes: Ping-pong, Loop and now also: SingleShot+Rewind and SingleShot+Hold. PlayAtExactRate is now fixed.

- FollowDirector can now be turned on/off in Legato Config F7. If you MMB-drag (TimeBender) or RMB-drag (ReTimer) a MarkerRegion in the Upper region, the MarkerRegions in the Lower region will follow (or not).

- Editing Labels for Markers and Regions (and TextTracks) has been improved. Backspace has been introduced. Press F2 to edit a MarkerRegion and press it again to clear the text string.
    - When analyzing Files, a progressbar is displayed to give you some feedback.
    - You can now select a frame range and press the 'L' key to move all Markers and Regions in that frame range to the Library.
    - After selecting a frame range, dragging the left/mid/right side of the selection bar became less precise when dealing with small ranges - this has been improved. Selecting fractional frames has been introduced.
    - Many bugs and interface update issues have been fixed or balanced.

I hope to release Legato beta 2 within two weeks from now.

Cool stuff
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Hi vncnt ,

Very smart .p.

Can U throw in an Mp4 sometime of that socket animating in Legato?

I'll add an optimized version of that lip-sync demo scene to the ZIP file.

In the mean time I've been busy to add/change a few other features and issues, based on actual use of Legato:

FIX: Legato could not display (or process) child items correctly that were named equally in one hierarchy.

NEW: Now supporting preview-before-Transfer. While transfering consonant poses from the Library section to my scene I noticed the process of applying poses and animations could be streamlined some more. The procedure is now: select a (positive) frame or frame range, click twice on a Library item (a marker or a region) in the listbox to move the timecursor to that part in the Library section (in the negative frame range) and observe the pose or animation in Layout, then press 'T' on your keyboard to Transfer that markerregion to the frame you were at, at the beginning. Legato will now restore the Layout preview range, current time and frame range selection.

NEW: After clicking twice on a Library item (a marker or a region) in the listbox, a message is displayed that explaines what you've seleced, its frame number and the location you were coming from. This is useful when you placed a lot of (single frame) markers without room to display the entire label.

MOD: After a Transfer, the selected markerregion is de-selected to prevent annoying playback confusion while animating after a transfer.

NEW: I've added a seventh TextTrack with a few differences: it's presented/edited in the middle of the graph, and this track will be visible for all genus types. Remember that TextTrack 1 and 2 were displayed for Objects and Bones, 3 and 4 for Lights, 5 and 6 for Cameras. I use it for analyzing audio tracks for lip-sync.

... almost there ...
    Last edited by vncnt; 02-26-2017 at 05:25 AM.

Looking forward to it Vincent.
    Alienware M18XR2 (18.4" Screen)
    Intel i7 3630 2.4GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce 660M x 2
    750GB HDD, 32GB SSD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2015.3

Heavy as hell but a little powerhouse.