Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burning Object in LW 11.6

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    And at creation when moving -- the puffballs were fairly visible at the front of Christine in the side shot, as the particles came into existence. It's hard to get HV's to properly "blend" in or out, hence puffballs. If you're willing to use a ton of gradients driving particle scale, etc. you can somewhat minimize the effect, but then rendering cost gets even worse (in most cases).

If you have a decent CUDA GPU (NV570 or better), it's difficult to justify HV's over TFD for fire/smoke FX work anymore (IMO).
    Oh, I've got a way around that now, but is their end that is harder to "de-puff". TFD is good.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    And at creation when moving -- the puffballs were fairly visible at the front of Christine in the side shot, as the particles came into existence. It's hard to get HV's to properly "blend" in or out, hence puffballs. If you're willing to use a ton of gradients driving particle scale, etc. you can somewhat minimize the effect, but then rendering cost gets even worse (in most cases).

If you have a decent CUDA GPU (NV570 or better), it's difficult to justify HV's over TFD for fire/smoke FX work anymore (IMO).
    The rendering cost increases with the amount of voxel spheres and they have to be dense if you want fluidlike effects and there will be always an issue somewhere where you can
    easily spot that it was made with computer unlike fluidbased smoke and fire.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    Oh, I've got a way around that now, but is their end that is harder to "de-puff". TFD is good.
    Particle age based gradient on the density can dissolve also one on thickness but it is still an endless tweaking. On the other hand with realistic fluid solvers making
    good fire to smoke shaders takes lots of time.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    It looks ok for a game or non photo real. It's at the end of the plume where pufballs become noticeable.
    I could improve that, as for puffballs, when One use particles as I did in that sample, the puffballs are only as big as the particle size, if you turn to smaller amount of particles and fake sim it with textures..then you need larger hv sizes..hence often large puffballs when straying away, that effect..if you choose to call it puffballs, is considerably less when using just particles, in that sample I could have used dissolve based on local density, or speed which would have reduced it a lot, but at that time I donīt think I was aware of that.

the principles are the same as huge amounts of particles shown in big block buster movies(particles and krakatoa mostly..or houdini particles) But the difference is the amount of particles, and the way particles can dissolve through distance between particles which is lacking in lw as we are dead tired of repeating again.

Anyway...if you can afford it, which the OP may not desire or really need, I would recommend turbulenceFD, but if that is out of question, you need to resort to free alternatives as free clips, which may come with issues of not getting the proper clip and also clips that are clipping the fire prematurely, or you have to live with the cg hv look or invest months and months in to learning hvīs to reach David Ridleys skills if that is enough, or you have to resort to free blender and mix or render out clips from there, there are lotīs of youtube vids on that.

turbulenceFD is quite easy and fun, but I couldnīt justify to buy it just for fun for me, and it wonīt pay for itself unless I would be in that environment that needs it, and I am not, then I really wanted the particle advection feature which is present on the cinema4d version but not lightwave due to sdk, so I hope they have done something about that in the next lw before I start to look in to getting turbulenceFD again, meanwhile I am wrestling with free blender and free fluids within that from time to time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12