Thread: some 3dprints

some 3dprints

Hello everyone,

Today I received my package from Shapeways with a few 3d prints of my models (everything modelled in lw of course). It is really exciting to see the own virtual models in real life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MedievalDwelling_3dprint_small.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	888.7 KB 
ID:	136019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02754s.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	282.8 KB 
ID:	136020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02731s.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	136021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02775s2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	136022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02692s.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	136023

considering now to buy a makerbot or lysin printer to print at home. Real fun.

They look really good Svenart.
    Do you have any tutorials on how you modeled and prepared your models to send off to be printed?
    (Would love to know, especially the ring model)
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

The ring is awesome!

thank you all.

Modelling the ring was really simple. At first i created one of this celtic symbols (triquetta), subdivided and subpatched it, y-mirrored and cloned it 10 times in a row, and then i used bend to form it into a ring.

About preparing the models: shapeways has a very comfortable and advanced system to autocheck your models if they are printable or not.

Name:	ring01.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	511.1 KB 
ID:	136036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring02bend.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	547.9 KB 
ID:	136037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shapeways_autocheck.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	498.9 KB 
ID:	136038

Quote Originally Posted by Svenart View Post
    thank you all.

Modelling the ring was really simple. At first i created one of this celtic symbols (triquetta), subdivided and subpatched it, y-mirrored and cloned it 10 times in a row, and then i used bend to form it into a ring.

About preparing the models: shapeways has a very comfortable and advanced system to autocheck your models if they are printable or not.

Name:	ring01.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	511.1 KB 
ID:	136036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring02bend.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	547.9 KB 
ID:	136037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shapeways_autocheck.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	498.9 KB 
ID:	136038
    Great info there svenart.
    So your celtic part wasn´t welded right? it was just enough with the parts overlapping in order for it to print as joined pieces? I reckon that was the case?

So what do you expect to do by purchasing your own printer? the ability to skip shapeways(though I guess not since it deals with other techniques and materials)...or just the ability to check prototypes initially for testing?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Great info there svenart.
    So your celtic part wasn´t welded right? it was just enough with the parts overlapping in order for it to print as joined pieces? I reckon that was the case?
    yes that is true. Overlapping is enough, they don´t have to be welded.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    So what do you expect to do by purchasing your own printer? the ability to skip shapeways(though I guess not since it deals with other techniques and materials)...or just the ability to check prototypes initially for testing?
    To be honest, I´m really not sure what I can expect. Shapeways is great but their prices are a bit too expensive. Printing for example a 12x12x8 cm castle model in plastic can cost there around 80-100 Euro. Printing this with my own printer would be way cheaper and I would have more control.

yes that is true. Overlapping is enough, they don´t have to be welded.

To be honest, I´m really not sure what I can expect. Shapeways is great but their prices are a bit too expensive. Printing for example a 12x12x8 cm castle model in plastic can cost there around 80-100 Euro. Printing this with my own printer would be way cheaper and I would have more control.
    actually only certain materials can have overlap in Shapeways, many of them need to be welded or watertight or the fail in "loose shells" it also depends on who they use for the outsource as the reason Shapeways is expensive is because they don't have many of their own printers and they outsource the printing (so there is twice the delivery cost as they pick up the prints to evaluate them then post them on)
    you should try 3d hubs, https://www.3dhubs.com/ it lists people with 3d printers that are local, I live out in the sticks a bit but there are still several printers just mins away from me, so you can remove the delivery charge and pick them up yourself, printers like the Formlabs can print at a higher res than Shapeways Ultra detail and you will find a lot of them on hubs, with much less markup.
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    actually only certain materials can have overlap in Shapeways, many of them need to be welded or watertight or the fail in "loose shells" it also depends on who they use for the outsource as the reason Shapeways is expensive is because they don't have many of their own printers and they outsource the printing (so there is twice the delivery cost as they pick up the prints to evaluate them then post them on)
    you should try 3d hubs, https://www.3dhubs.com/ it lists people with 3d printers that are local, I live out in the sticks a bit but there are still several printers just mins away from me, so you can remove the delivery charge and pick them up yourself, printers like the Formlabs can print at a higher res than Shapeways Ultra detail and you will find a lot of them on hubs, with much less markup.
    thanks for the info.

I meanwhile always use overlapping geometry and had no problems so far. Wich materials do you mean wich could be a problem here?

I know 3dhubs and was considering to use it, but for some reason I decided not to try yet. It looks very promising, but it is not soo much cheaper depending on what you need and material. Have you ever tried 3d hubs?

I meanwhile always use overlapping geometry and had no problems so far. Wich materials do you mean wich could be a problem here?
    Get your own printer and welded/manifold will be mandatory. Shapeways is in effect repairing/finishing the model before sending to print.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

TrueArt Support
    It is really exciting to see the own virtual models in real life.
    Print something with movable parts, like gears, with hole inside for axis, and connect them with small electric motor..

They have some 3D printers for $400-$500
    http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-3D...er-c-3480.html
    Last edited by Sensei; 02-20-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Your prints are indeed awesome!
    If you consider buying Makerbot printer, I can give you a piece of advice how to improve it's overall performance and how to start using it quickly : http://3dinsider.com/speed-up-makerbot-printer/
    Actually I can say that I really like Makerbot printers for their convenience.