Thread: A4000/VT4000 calibration/setup advice

A4000/VT4000 calibration/setup advice

Hello there! I've been working on assembling a Video Toaster setup (A4000 with a VT4000 card). The Amiga and VT seem to be in good repair, but I'm having a lot of issues getting good video signals into it. I do have two Hotronics TBC's and a small blackburst generator. I've got the BB going into the TBC's as a sync source (at least, I think I do). I have two Sony cameras that do provide a rock-solid signal to the VT, and I'm using two Raspberry Pi's as video players (since the Pi has a composite video out). The Pi's have fairly stable signals, but I have a heck of a time with vertical rolling or just terrible distortion on video from other devices, like the video from a Commodore 64, a VCR, or other composite devices, even going through one of the TBC's.

I see lots of info on the net about how incredibly picky the VT card is, and that it has to have a very solid signal. I have yet to try it, but I recently saw a post recommending I use a video camera for the sync source on the TBC's so I may be trying that tonight, but what has me puzzled is that the C64's signal and others seem to have issues when directly connected to the VT, and according to what I've read, that shouldn't be the case. Sometimes it's so bad, the VT refuses to start with the signal present.

I've heard mention of some manual adjustments which may be necessary on the VT, so I'm wondering if I really have two issues -- that my VT needs to be calibrated somehow with a voltmeter or oscilloscope or something (I have access to both), and that I may not be using the TBC's properly.

And yes, I know I'm nuts trying to get it all to work. I only wanted to use it to add some fun to online streaming, playing games on the C64 and using the VT to have fun with the signal. Any advice Toaster experts can provide to help me get the system stable is appreciated. I can provide more details on the systems and equipment if necessary. Thanks!

I'm setting up an A4000T Toaster/Flyer setup but have played with the Toaster so far. I've not had to do any adjustments other than run the Auto-Hue program. I'm using DPS TBC'S (rack mounted) and at the time didn't have a Black burst so fed one source into TBC 1 and then split it's output to Input one on the Toaster and the other to Sync In on the second TBC. This TBC's input was from my other video source and it's output went to Toaster Input 2. I've had no issues switching between the two inputs and using transition effects.

The TBC'S need to be in sync with each other which I hope your blackburst generator was handling.

As for the C64 output, you should run it to your TBC as well. Everything needs to be in sync so I'd rely on the TBC'S to provide a corrected signal from any video source you plan to use.

For my "playing around" I was using an old Android phone with HDMI out and looping a video I had on it and a DVD player playing whatever was in it at the time. The HDMI was going to a converter ( to BNC) the to the first TBC. That was all connected as described above.

I picked up a 6 output BB generator the other day, just have tried using it to run to the TBC'S for sync yet..

If you know of anyone interested in the A4000T Toaster/Flyer, my non-profit organization has three A4000T Toaster/Flyers for sale. One is a desktop model with separate SCSI drives and the other two are towers.

www.twotreesinc.org

I'm always interested in A4000T towers...Just my checkbook doesn't match my interests

Appreciate the reply, but not sure if I got any advice on what may be missing in my setup. To be clear, I can't even get a stable signal out of a single input depending on the source. Wondering if it's a power supply or other hardware issue, as both VT4000 cards seem to do the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked out your website, dweinkauf, but didn't see any links about Amigas for sale.

The three Amiga 4000 Video toaster flyers that were donated to our non-profit aren't listed on our website. I'm in the process of checking them out to see how well they're working. If you're interested, send me a PM or an email address where I can send you pictures of the units.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosorceror View Post
    Appreciate the reply, but not sure if I got any advice on what may be missing in my setup. To be clear, I can't even get a stable signal out of a single input depending on the source. Wondering if it's a power supply or other hardware issue, as both VT4000 cards seem to do the same thing.
    You are getting no stable signal out of the 'Program' out from the Toaster no matter what video source you input on any of the 1-4 Toaster inputs? Or your are getting a rock solid signal from your Sony camera but adding anything else to another input makes the Program out unstable? Maybe a little more detail on what signals are connected to what, and how you are using the TBC's etc... would help. Everything coming in has to be stable and every input needs to be in sync with each other.

Have you tried running you Sony