Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VLC and NDI

VLC and NDI

The usefulness of VLC (with NDI plugins) in an IP workflow can hardly be overstated. No doubt many have realized that already. We wanted to mention a couple of important points in this connection:

• NDI works a lot better in 64-bit than 32-bit (as a ballpark estmiate, it's probably about 4x faster).
    • VLC media player defaults to a 32 bit installation. It is a pretty good idea to choose the 64bit installation if you want to use NDI.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Here is a link to the VideoLAN VLC for Windows page. From the drop down you can select the 64-bit installer. From the main page you can only get to the 32-bit version.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Anyone else get audio desync issues sometimes when transmitting over NDI via the VLC plugin?

I use VLC all the time to playback video clips into TriCaster. I've not seen a/v sync issues in that case. What are you trying to play?
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

I've noticed it mostly when trying to send over live video, say piping something from streamlink (command-line live streaming utility) into VLC.

Plays fine locally, but when I switch it to the NDI output plugin, audio is not in sync on the TriCaster or NDI Monitor.

Streamlink: https://streamlink.github.io/install.html

Test HLS URL: http://cspan1-lh.akamaihd.net/i/cspa...1000_av-p.m3u8

Command used:
    Code:
    streamlink hls://http://cspan1-lh.akamaihd.net/i/cspan1_1@304727/index_1000_av-p.m3u8 best
    VLC 64bit 2.2.4
    Last edited by lukerctv; 04-12-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added more info
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

Just tried this (and cool utility BTW). I'm getting A/V sync using NDI Monitor or my TriCaster (or at least it is so close, I can't see any lip sync issues). Could the computer doing all of this just not keep up? I'm using my laptop with an i7 CPU.

I only tried this for a few seconds. Is the sync off immediately or does it drift after a length of time?
    Last edited by kanep; 04-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Playing with this a bit. If you use the -p option you can pass into VLC Player the NDI options for video/audio output and not have to set them as the default for the player. Not that it would make a difference for your sync issue, but does streamline using it.

Example:
    Code:
    streamlink -p "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe --aout NDI --vout NDI" https://www.twitch.tv/twit best
    Last edited by kanep; 04-12-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

MPC-HC is supported by StreamLink, but there isn't a NDI plug-in for it which is the end goal for the workflow.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

It may be drifting too, but on my TriCaster the audio always starts desynced. No frames are ever dropped and there's no choppiness, and the computer running VLC is barely taxed by it. And all Ethernet, of course.

On another note, I've been told by VLC developers that the NDI plugin is not compatible with version 3.0. Is that something that's being worked on?

I ask because 3.0 is the only build that supports SpeedHQ, which was just added to ffmpeg and libavcodec.
    Last edited by lukerctv; 04-13-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

3.0 doesn't seem to have been released yet. Are you running a beta? Or is it available somewhere non-obvious?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Here is my laptop using StreamLink to play a live stream from TWIT (using Twitch as the CDN), this is about 10 to 15 minutes after I started the stream. My sync looks good.

StreamLink -> VLC 64-bit (v2.2.4) -> NDI Plug-in -> NDI Monitor

https://youtu.be/xSgZhW70pw4
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

3.0 is still in pre-release, but its official release is imminent. Here's the roadmap:

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/roadmap

I'm mostly concerned with it since SpeedHQ will never be supported in previous versions, and SpeedHQ plus the NDI plugin would be killer. Especially since I still can't open SpeedHQ files natively in macOS for whatever reason.

I'm going to have to test the audio sync issue more, but I just used the same C-SPAN URL from my example above, and it was definitely out of sync on my 460. Unfortunately, the Mac version of NDI Monitor isn't reliable enough to diagnose issues like that.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

I'm told the VLC API is version specific, requires updating the plugin every time (bummer). It'll get done, but maybe not day one ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Is the NDI 3 Tools VLC plugin not working for anyone else?

Edit: Running VLC as an Administrator might have worked
    Last edited by lukerctv; 08-26-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast