Thread: JVC GY-HM650 Purchase question with TriCaster

JVC GY-HM650 Purchase question with TriCaster

Is anyone familiar with the JVC GY-HM650? I am looking to purchase this but need to know how I can use it with my TriCaster mini with AE? I hear that it works wirelessly but I can't seem to find out what I would need to make it work with my Mini with AE? How does this actually work? I will continue to research but I just read about it today and it sounds like it would be great if I could get it to work. Am I mistaken? Thanks.

Depends on the version of AE.

With AE1, you can receive streams from the camera in RTSP format. If I recall there is an option to configure JVC cameras in the NET drop downs. Enter the information to match the stream settings in the camera.

With AE2, you will need something to receive the camera signal and turn it into NDI, which can then be accepted on any input. You could use VLC Player with the NDI plug-in, going with route will you have to figure how to get VLC to receive the RTSP stream. You can also use NewTek Connect Pro to receive the stream. The nice thing about Connect Pro is that is supports the UDP streaming method off the camera which can have a bit less latency than RTSP streaming. NewTek Connect Pro is also easier to configure has it has a JVC camera setup in its IP source configuration settings.

Also, just so you are aware, no matter what method you use to get the camera wireless connected to the TriCaster (RTSP or UDP streaming), you will have a noticeable amount of latency introduced from the JVC streaming encoder. If you can make the camera work using a SDI/HDMI output, I would go that route.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Yeah, I have AE2 so I would have to figure something out I guess if I went that route which now I don't believe I will.
    The latency part would be a killer. How can a person use the other 4 inputs on the mini if latency is an issue or is that just with the JVC? I'm not familiar enough with it yet to make any sense of it right now.
    I guess it would probably be better to go with a different camera and just add a wireless SDI/HDMI option similar to one I have already. That works great. I just thought that the 650 setup might be better but I have not had enough time to research it. You saved me a lot of time. Thanks.

The latency is the H.264 encoder on the JVC camera. NDI latency is so low you use it along side SDI/HDMI sources without issue, but the JVC isn't outputting NDI, you have to convert it. Another solution is to get NDI Connect with a supported hardware interface to convert the HD-SDI off the camera into NDI, then latency would not be an issue. The Bird-Dog interface is another solution (when it becomes available).
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.