Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Arrival in Spinland

A-ha: no need to ask or pull. I did some digging, and this is the first edition of the Gabrels signature line, before Reverend hooked up with Railhammer. The neck Dimarzio Fast Track is stock, as is the bridge humbucker, which they called a Reverend Hot PAF.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

"iCan" Mac Pro
    17" MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis
    Synology DS412+

Quote Originally Posted by Spinland View Post
    Good catch!
    Railhammers are pretty distinctive, plus I finally bit the bullet and started wearing proper reading glasses,
    Holy crap! I am seeing stuff I didn't even know existed.
    The trans black finish is very sharp.
    Don't be a dink get some ink

Quote Originally Posted by c.1 View Post
    Holy crap! I am seeing stuff I didn't even know existed.
    Name:  geek.png
Views: 128
Size:  7.1 KB
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

"iCan" Mac Pro
    17" MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis
    Synology DS412+

My glasses look exactly like that too.

Ok Spinny, I saw that you bought a 'Variax' so I just got a wicked deal on a Line 6 Amplifi 75.
    Haven't had time to work it yet but hey, keep an eye out, they seem to be 'on sale' right now.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Truth be told, I sold off the Variax and the Helix a couple of weeks ago, in exchange for that sweet vintage Reverend signature plus a pile of cash I’ve since converted to some other fun stuff. It was a great guitar for what it does, and the Strat and Gibson 335 models (I have the real versions of both) were spot on, but that’s the thing: I already had the real ones and the Variax was a fun experiment that ended up gathering dust. Same for the Helix: I tend to play with a minimalist set of effects, and the boutique pedals I do rely on didn’t have equivalents in the Helix models so I was adding them to one of the loop paths anyway. Lot of money for a fancy modeling multi effects box I was barely using, so off it went.

I hate waste, and if a guitar or pedal or amp doesn’t get my attention after a certain amount of time I flip it to someone who can use it more readily than I have.

"iCan" Mac Pro
    17" MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis
    Synology DS412+

I wasn’t too sure about the Amplifi at first (it was 1/2 price though), I have a couple of tube amps and some really nice analog effects.

After trying the Amplifi, I really dig it. I can dial in multiple amps, cabs and effects from my phone or iPad, and edit those effects the same way via bluetooth, but the most fun thing is searching out any guitarist, song, band on the Line 6 cloud and having all those parameters sent instantly to the Amplifi, it is pretty cool and really helps me stay “in the zone”, and they are all tweatable as well. It also has a built in algorithm that will analyze any song in your playlist and come up with suggested amp, cab, effects settings to match it.
    Everything is controlled remotely from the tablet or phone. When you just want to plug in and play but get the tone that actually match the music you want to play, it rocks.

And one added bonus is that the Amplifi is a 5 speaker full range stereo bluetooth speaker for when I just want to play music.

I do tend to “collect” gear, but I have started to downsize even giving my nephews a few grand in gear to help them out.

So, bitten by the 12 string bug. A friend lent me his Taylor 655 acoustic to see how I liked the style and I'm a fan. I'm not into dropping north of two grand US on one, though, so I'm going Ibanez for mine. Got the Artcore electric already:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibanez_12string_electric.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	138371

Sounds and feels just like a Gretsch I tried that cost over three times as much. As for a Rick? Fuggeddaboutddit. Way too spendy for my blood. Maybe on the used market but not out here in the sticks and I wanted one I could touch first.

Have an Ibanez 12 string acoustic on the way, for a stupid-cheap price, which is why it's on back order: everyone else has realized what a steal it is, too.

I'll post up some pics when it arrives. On that happy day I'll return the Taylor, thus maintaining my new rule of no more guitars than can all fit in my rack. That's eight slots.
    Last edited by Spinland; 10-25-2017 at 07:20 AM.

"iCan" Mac Pro
    17" MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis
    Synology DS412+

Houdini Currently Open Luc_Feri's Avatar
    Nice guitar. Next up, some folk or medieval music for you spinny!

I used to be in a heavy rock group. My greatest achievement was to play Manchester Roadhouse in UK. Demo tape went to A&R meeting in Birmingham and MCA/Geffen took it to London. Never heard from them again!!!

Some arse probably stole our music and rehashed it. Rock was in a funny place in 1995/6 some said rock was dead!! LOL, really.

I've got three guitars & Boss GT-10.

Japanese made Jackson Stealth Fusion SS.

Dean Razorback Dime Slime 255

Ovation Celebrity. CC024 & Amp - Behringer Ultracoustic ACX1000

Marshall Valvestate 8100 I ran at the time with 4x12" cab and various pedals, marshall shredmaster, back in mid 90's.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 10-25-2017 at 07:20 AM.
    LW2015 Suite, Octane Render, LWCAD 5, Modo 10, Mari 2.5v2, ZBrush 4R8, 3D Coat V4.8, Sub. Designer 5, Sub. Painter 2 & Marmoset Toolbag 3.0

Sweet!

My style is more Eagles-esque, which nicely spans the gamut of country to some heavier stuff. I've been a big fan since I was a wee lad. Lately I've been fascinated by BB King's slow blues styles; maybe as I age I'm looking for music to play that's as slow as I'm getting.

My guitar rack has the usual suspects besides the new Ibanez: Strat, Tele, a PRS singlecut Les Paul wannabe, a couple of acoustics. Main guitar for me lately has been my Gibson 335, which I got when this blues thing started.

For amps I have a Blues Jr (of course) and a Fender GT100, plus a fun little Blackstar Fly3 (3W) portable amp that right now (along with the add-on 3W side cabinet) is my primary amp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fly3 twins.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	138372

It plays beautifully both clean and crunchy with no effects pedals (has very good built in EQ and delay plus an overdrive button) and when I mic it up I can get all the volume out of my PA I'll ever need. I'm currently working on a Glenn Frey instrumental piece and coupled with the 335 the tone is pure enough to make me want to weep tears of joy.

"iCan" Mac Pro
    17" MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis
    Synology DS412+

Nice one. Those blackstars look nice and compact too for the studio set up too. I really should learn some blues more. My dad loved BB King. Do you like any Joe Bonamassa??

I was thinking of knocking out some Chris Cornell tribute songs and sticking them on YT, but it's seems everyone else beat me to it!!

I have no mics at all. I could play dry acoustic and sing over, I did run a few tests.

Crude, but what I also tried was to send my Sennheiser headset and mic into Ableton Live 9 and added some vocal effects for my ugly voice.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 10-25-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    LW2015 Suite, Octane Render, LWCAD 5, Modo 10, Mari 2.5v2, ZBrush 4R8, 3D Coat V4.8, Sub. Designer 5, Sub. Painter 2 & Marmoset Toolbag 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Luc_Feri View Post
    Do you like any Joe Bonamassa??
    Heh. I'm in Utica, NY, Joe's home town. He's a local hero here. His dad, Len is still active in the local music scene.

That Sennheiser goes into a Scarlett and I record with Logic Pro. I have a Blue Yeti for vocals.

"iCan" Mac Pro
    17" MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis
    Synology DS412+

Quote Originally Posted by Spinland View Post
    Heh. I'm in Utica, NY, Joe's home town. He's a local hero here. His dad, Len is still active in the local music scene.

That Sennheiser goes into a Scarlett and I record with Logic Pro. I have a Blue Yeti for vocals.
    Doh!! I never twigged.

That's cool as. You ever meet Joe or Len, been to see him?

I never got to visit NY yet. My uncle was a sculptor/artist, he worked in and lived in Brielle NJ and Manasquan in the 80's.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 10-26-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Best of luck Spinny!!

You ever meet Joe or Len, been to see him?
    I moved here after Joe had left to make his fortune, but I've run into Len a few times via his guitar store ventures. My brothers-in-law were in the local gigging circuit since way back when and they and their bandmates were around when Joe was the local prodigy. He's the real deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Best of luck Spinny!!

Many thanks!

"iCan" Mac Pro
    17" MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis
    Synology DS412+

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567