Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Arrival in Spinland

Cool

And, more modding madness; this time it's my 20-year-old acoustic that got some more love.

I've had this Woody XL soundhole pickup for a while, and I love the tone (especially after I tweaked the posts), but I've never been a fan of that freakish long (and non-removable) cable hanging off the face. Since I rarely take the Woody out, and the guitar sounds great unplugged with it in place, I decided to make it permanent.

The main issue was I have Schaller strap locks and any endpin jack I've found (especially in gold) would mean losing one of them. I took some video of the inside of the body and realized I had plenty of room to put the jack below the strap lock, so that's what I did.

I couldn't justify spending US$70 on the reamer drill bit from StewMac so I bought a hand-held one, drilled a smallish pilot hole, and reamed the 1/2" hole by hand. Took a while, but I had total control over the process and the tool only cost me US$8. Big difference, and I felt really Old Skool not using a power tool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guitar_with_pickup_001.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	136248

Name:	jack_with_strap_001.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	136247

Name:	jack_exposed_001.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	136246

“There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

"iCan" Mac Pro
    17" MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis
    Synology DS412+

I've not been a fan of the solid bridge on my PRS; I want to have control over setting the intonation per string and solid stoptails don't permit that. What does any self-respecting Spinny do?

You could also go with with a Bigsby B5 and a Vibramate (no drilling)V5 for a cool retro look.
    Don't be a dink get some ink

Quote Originally Posted by c.1 View Post

You could also go with with a Bigsby B5 and a Vibramate (no drilling)V5 for a cool retro look.
    Cool, tips, thanks!

Heh; just what I need: more fodder for the feeding of the madness.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

"iCan" Mac Pro
    17" MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis
    Synology DS412+

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123