Thread: NewTek AutoLink for Panasonic PTZ

NewTek AutoLink for Panasonic PTZ

Panasonic just announced 'AutoLink' the software product that makes it easy to connect Panasonic IP cameras to a network and convert the IP output into NDI.
    http://business.panasonic.co.uk/prof...plify-ip-setup

NewTek AutoLink for Panasonic PTZ https://store.newtek.com/index.php/i...sonic-ptz.html
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    This is awesome stuff.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Does this remedy the problem I have with my four HE-130s?: Being able to connect and see the inputs, but not being able to control the cams? Do I need both the 422Cat and the 10Base-T cables connected in order to control the cams? Also can't figure out how to find my HE-130s as NDI sources. Seemed a lot easier in earlier versions of Advanced Edition on Tricaster 8000. Or am I just missing something?

The AutoLink software will automatically find Panasonic PTZ IP camaera's on the network and turn those sources into NDI signals. It has nothing to do with PTZ control. For the PTZ control, that would use the controls in your TriCaster. Current versions of Standard Edition (Rev 2-6) and Advanced Edition 2 (Rev 4-0) have a new PTZ control engine that will control the cameras better than the previous versions.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

This is great stuff! Can this software be installed on Tricaster or does it need to be run on a separate PC?

AutoLink needs to be installed on a separate system from the TriCaster.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Am I correct in assuming that the signal latency over IP is likely to be a bit greater than coming out SDI?

Yep - at least, it is in this context (straight NDI sources see negligible latency, but anything that originates as H.264 is a little 'slower'. The degree varies by device ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

We recently purchased NewTek AutoLink in high hopes that it would indeed release SDI inputs and let us move Panasonic PTZ cameras over to NDI but the results haven't been stellar yet. Below is a sample recording of an NDI input on Tricaster 460:

https://youtu.be/CABsp8LticA

Motion is jerky and it's almost like a frame or two are dropping every second, which is confusing as the output settings on the camera match those on the Tricaster, and as regular SDI input the camera's motion is smooth as it should.

What is the most likely culprit here? Is it the camera - Panasonic AW-UE70, which is supposed to be one of AutoLink's supported models, running latest firmware v1.17 - is it AutoLink itself or the system running it (i7 processor and no other programs running simultaneously), or is Tricaster 460 underpowered?
    Last edited by streamingmedia; 03-09-2017 at 01:41 PM.

First off are you sure that your network path from the camera to the TriCaster is gigabit front to back?
    If you are passing through a switch or two, which model/s?
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

Hmm, switch, that's one factor I hadn't considered. There is a switch in between the Tricaster and the cameras, just a basic HPE OfficeConnect 1820, which is a gigabit switch. Only cameras, camera controller, Tricaster, another PC with AutoLink, and a router with Internet access is connected to the switch. We're about to upgrade the device so perhaps that will be the answer.
    Last edited by streamingmedia; 03-10-2017 at 01:58 AM.

Hi,

We are looking at working with a similar workflow between HE-130 & TriCaster and would like to know if you have been able to resolve the issue of the "jerky motion"?
    Alternately, do you know of a different solution that has been tried and tested since your above post? your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds
    Nino

Quote Originally Posted by Malapati View Post
    Hi,

We are looking at working with a similar workflow between HE-130 & TriCaster and would like to know if you have been able to resolve the issue of the "jerky motion"?
    Alternately, do you know of a different solution that has been tried and tested since your above post? your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds
    Nino
    Hey there Nino
    We haven't had any issues running He130s in the past on our network using the NDI conversion software. One key thing to keep in mind is there is more latency since the conversion software is taking the H.264 feed out of the he130 and converting that to NDI. It isn't the NDI conversion that is the problem but the processing time from live to h.264 actually. If you can live with the latency then the software solution is pretty slick. If you need a faster solution and still want to take advantage of the NDI workflow then use a NewTek NC1 or our SDI2NDI to do HD-SDI to NDI conversion closer to the camera. After the conversion you can hop on the network and go practically anywhere with no additional latency. As mentioned above, make sure you are using a business class router and more importantly full speed backplaned gigabit switch. Those items make the biggest difference of all.

BTW I saw Armand at NAB and had a great visit. Maybe you can make it next year. Or maybe I can just drop by over there sometime.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams