Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW 11.6.3 and OSX 10.12.1 Sierra Install Issue

LW 11.6.3 and OSX 10.12.1 Sierra Install Issue

I am trying to re-install LW v11.6.3 on my Mac running Sierra 10.12.1.

The LW installer does nothing. When I activate the installer I get a dialog asking to enter my password
    for the install... then nothing happens.

I have 2015.3 running on this machine. It seems to work fine.

anyone else have this issue?

Anybody?

Sorry, still on El Capitan...

I'm having the exact same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nbdy View Post
    I am trying to re-install LW v11.6.3 on my Mac running Sierra 10.12.1.

The LW installer does nothing. When I activate the installer I get a dialog asking to enter my password
    for the install... then nothing happens.

I have 2015.3 running on this machine. It seems to work fine.

anyone else have this issue?
    Same problem. Lightwave 3d 11.6. I'm moving to a new iMac loaded with Sierra. Moving from an older iMac with El Capitan.

Downloaded the installer from my Lightwave Account page. When I begin the install, follow the prompts, and then I enter my machine's password, and then nothing happens.

I looked into migrating assistant, but the migration system has changed along with the chord plugins. Used airdrop to bring over the NewTek folder containing my Lightwave 11.6 applications. I assumed that I could reenter my serial number on first launch.

I launch Modler, and Mac doesn't want to open it because it's not from the Apple App Store. I override and open it anyway and it encounters a problem, and suggests that I find out if it is compatible with Sierra.

Should I assume that 11.6 won't work on Sierra? Is there a patch?

install it in a previous OS and drag and drop it to the new OS is alternate solution, but yeah right click to open and choose open, some people have reported broken things here and there, it seemed to open ok for me but didn't test it much beyond drag out a primitive, have since deleted it as I have 2015.3. Installing it won't break the OS but it won't run perfect as an app will have to upgrade at some point but then file requester windows don't open correctly in 2015 either when run in Sierra so you can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    but then file requester windows don't open correctly in 2015 either when run in Sierra so you can't win.
    Hmm, not seeing this issue here (on Sierra), can you describe a bit more?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.5),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

they fail to write a windows property list so therefore do not remember the previous size they were dragged out to and perpetually default to their minimum size upon being called which is a total pain in the ***, particularly as Sierra as done away with the min max hide buttons, is that explicit enough for you.( in English 'arse' is not deemed an expletive but perfectly expectable in every day usage )
    Last edited by gerry_g; 04-17-2017 at 05:35 PM.

I see what you mean. I normally run "DefaultFolderX" (which boosts the default size a bit) and use "columns" mode, the combo seems to make the default a bit more tolerable. Agreed, though, it'd be great if LW properly remembered sizing and placement for dialogs, palette windows, etc. reliably.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.5),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Numerous times I had thought to get this too but when I read how it loads as sepperate app and runs on top of rather replace the Finder I thought better of it, if there is one good thing you can say about Windows is the quality of its finder system, oh and snapable windows.

If the installer won't work can I use a USB drive?

Quote Originally Posted by valanchan View Post
    If the installer won't work can I use a USB drive?
    Answering my own question

I installed onto a USB thumb drive using the "minimum" setting.
    Copied/paste to my Mac drive and all is good.

Fringe benefit is I have a USB that runs LW.

Yes, whenever you have a problem with an installer on a newer system. Try installing on an older system and just copying everything over to the new system. Sometimes the installers are more finicky than the actual software.
    MikeS [LWProfile] 30+ Yrs of Award-winning Media DreamLight.com

Drag-and-drop-dead-easy™ ScreamerNet - DLI Constellation
    BOOK - Creating a 3D Animated CGI Short & 3D CGI Short Films & DLI Blog

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    particularly as Sierra as done away with the min max hide buttons,
    Just a general macOS Sierra tip: with most apps, you can double-click the window title bar of the app to toggle between max/min sizes like the button used to do, now that the button has been changed to the full-screen button.

Not sure if that works with 11.6, but I just tried it on 2015.3 demo and it works that way.

some windows in some apps yes (very patchy and inconsistent) but not the open file window in either Modeler or Layout, fails miserably, presume it's a double whammy of LW defaulting to wrong type of window due to OS changes and a miserable lack of bug fixing and maintenance to fix it on LW3D's part.

OK so some resolution but takes so long to implement accurately that its quicker to drag the thing open, point remains Photoshop can manage to write a property list for the window still so the option must be available to the programmers, I guess we'l just have to chalk this one up to what you get with a subscription style license and what you get with a perpetual license, a few more scraps in your begging bowl.
    Last edited by gerry_g; 05-23-2017 at 04:53 AM.

The other side of the subscription coin. A perpetual license lets you continue to run that old copy of the software on an older system as long as you may need it. Subscriptions often force updates and force you to update your system and everything else too, on their schedule. They also often drop support for older versions of their files. I've had many old projects that I needed to open and no longer could because the latest version of the software dropped support for those old files. I keep a few old Macs around from each generation loaded with old versions of the OS and software that created projects of that time, just for that purpose. That's not possible if you're forced into a subscription. After being in business for over 30 years now, I'll always choose perpetual licenses and drop any software that goes subscription only. It's just not worth the hassle in the long run for me, not to mention the cost. I don't upgrade as soon as something new comes out. I only upgrade when I have the need and the funds/projects/time available to make a large switch in my pipeline. With a perpetual license you're still free to run 11.6.3 on the systems that were available at the time, and can upgrade when you see fit to move to newer systems. With a subscription only that option would be gone.
    MikeS [LWProfile] 30+ Yrs of Award-winning Media DreamLight.com

Drag-and-drop-dead-easy™ ScreamerNet - DLI Constellation
    BOOK - Creating a 3D Animated CGI Short & 3D CGI Short Films & DLI Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast