Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion for Upcoming Performance Optimizations in The Next LightWave Release Blog

Currently, if I have an mdd applied to an object and it's dragging down my computer, hiding the object does nothing as LW isn't aware enough to know it's not in use, I have to turn off the mdd completely. Is the new LW a little more savvy as to what's going on and disable mdd playback if hidden?

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Id not imagine so... as hiding objects is purely a viewport ogl thing... its not an instruction to disable any deformers/displacements/whatever else... afterall if you have objects that are hidden in VP (for whatever reason) you still want them to show up with all their stuff when you render, etc.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Similarly, I was having really sluggish playback on a sub-d object with its SubD level set to Last (which is obvious with an increased level in polys!) even when hidden.

This was the response I had from a nice LW bod. The issue is clearly know about so was wondering if addressed. Of course, is performance is fantastic might not be an issue anymore!

It's not about whether or not something is affecting the geometry of the subdivided object. It is about whether or not something else in the scene is affected by the subdivided geometry.

Currently it isn't possible for LW to determine if some given geometry is needed by something else in the scene. So even though the object is hidden, it has to compute the subdivision.

And no, it can't compute the mesh on-demand. The objects in the scene must be evaluated in a certain order together to give the correct result. A mesh can not be evaluated out of order without it causing breakage.

When the subdivision order is set to First, then at least LW can reuse the existing subdivided mesh. If not set to First, then there is a period during the evaluation of the scene where the object has to appear as being not subdivided. That is when things get slow as the mesh data get swapped out between non-subd and subd.

We're keenly aware that this needs improvement.

---JvdL---

Quote Originally Posted by raw-m View Post
    Currently, if I have an mdd applied to an object and it's dragging down my computer, hiding the object does nothing as LW isn't aware enough to know it's not in use, I have to turn off the mdd completely. Is the new LW a little more savvy as to what's going on and disable mdd playback if hidden?
    Are you using DP Kit 'MDD Cache' or 'MDD Pointer' - this can make a significant difference I have found.

I believe that the 'pointer' is better suited to large mdd files as it Streams the data a frame at a time, the cache hold the file in memory.

Also I found the size of files I were using meant I needed to use 64bit LW
    "one rig to rule them all"
    PC Spec: Intel i7 X980 3.33GHz | 24Gb | ATI FirePro V5800 | W7
    https://vimeo.com/kevbarnes/showreel
    https://littlstar.com/kevbarnes
    https://www.talenthouse.com/kevbarnes

Ofc... toggling off the displacement gives the required speedup, and with all displacements, including subdivs, bones, et al being together in a single stack then, it ought be possible to write a lil script that toggles on/off all applied displacements on a given object (providing the scripting access is there)... so there may yet be possible a handy solution for you.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbarnes View Post
    Are you using DP Kit 'MDD Cache' or 'MDD Pointer' - this can make a significant difference I have found.

I believe that the 'pointer' is better suited to large mdd files as it Streams the data a frame at a time, the cache hold the file in memory.

Also I found the size of files I were using meant I needed to use 64bit LW
    Cheers kevbarnes. I try to avoid baking wherever possible these days, but that's a great one to bare in mind for the next time

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Ofc... toggling off the displacement gives the required speedup, and with all displacements, including subdivs, bones, et al being together in a single stack then, it ought be possible to write a lil script that toggles on/off all applied displacements on a given object (providing the scripting access is there)... so there may yet be possible a handy solution for you.
    That would be great news!

'Ave it...

Code:
    generic
    {
    	items = Scene().getSelect();
    	sf = items[1].serverFlags(SERVER_DISPLACEMENT_H,1);
    	for(i=1;i<=items.size();i++)
    	{
    		dh = items[i].server(SERVER_DISPLACEMENT_H);
    		for(n=1;n<=dh.size();n++)
    		{
    			if(!sf)
    				str = string("EnableServer DisplacementHandler ",n," ",0);
    			else
    				str = string("EnableServer DisplacementHandler ",n," ",1);
    			CommandInput(str);
    		}
    	}
    }
    Works on multiple selected items and toggles all displacement plugins (so those that appear in the list, not nodes, etc) on/off. I presume it'll work the same in 2016, but ofc doing nodes, bones, subdivs, etc too (since they're all listed now), but I guess we'll have to wait n see.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

put it in a text file, save it as whatever.ls... add to layout as a plugin, set a button, etc.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

MASSIVELY appreciated, RH. Thank you! (Will test in the morning).

Will it be possible to implement some kind of system that is able to cache mesh deformations automatically in the background, like when a key has been set/removed/changed?

When dealing with multiple characters or with very local deformations Layout could focus on changes instead of evaluating every deformation source.

Would a system like that be beneficial or would it create more problems than it could solve?
    Last edited by vncnt; 04-01-2016 at 02:42 PM.

How are the performance of IK-chains and bone deformations in this version? In previous versions of LW, the system could come to a halt with just a dozen of separate IK-chains with bones, even with geometry set in bounding box mode.

One would imagine it'll be faster by some measure... but such things arent particularly slow now... see here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqqazvf1FN0&t=05m13s

50+ fps with 5 plain rigs, thats 10 IK chains + other motion control constraints going on. Existing motion control evaluation is perfectly fast enough either for a good few simpler characters to run at the same time, or for a couple of quite complex ones.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thanks for the script RebelHill, looks very useful!
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation and modelling WIP Croman
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast