Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion for Upcoming Performance Optimizations in The Next LightWave Release Blog

Yes that is probably somewhat True John but are you suggesting that the beta could in actuality be slower then LW 2015 but running them simultaneously has caused LW 2015 to appear slower? I guess I'm just asking if you're proposing that its possible there is no actual speed up and that Lino is just getting lucky in showing such a huge margin of performance difference? Or do you think its possible that testing in a 'clean' state would probably not amount to much significantly different speed discrepancies between versions?

I just tested a scene of an object with 35K polygons subpatched deformed with bones with nodal displacement. With 24FPS set in options, it took me running 4 instances of Layout all running at the same time (the playhead running the animation in each instance of Layout) before it barely crept below the 24FPS. Somehow I have a hard time believing that any difference we would see with Lino's video tested properly in the aforementioned 'clean' state would be significant. But anything is possible I suppose.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 03-27-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Also, it's a demonstration of a working beta, to show what's working and the benefits of it, and not the proof of measured increased speed of a final product nor a selling point of a published software. A rough estimate is more than enough in a situation like this one, I think. And it's best observed side by side, even if possibly not entirely accurate. It even might get better before release, who knows.

I think the methodologies to collect and present information to potential buyers of a product and sneak peeks of an ongoing development don't need to agree. A more casual approach is fine here, the information is still relevant and it doesn't take much more time and other resources out of the team.

I liked the videos and I'm glad the blog is getting more content. Hey, I'm even happy that it exists at all. It also sets a nice precedent for subsequent LightWave's versions, like "LightWave Next after the Next."
    Last edited by allabulle; 03-27-2016 at 05:02 PM.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Before it had been cited, I assumed that the tests were done individually and comped together in post. When it was mentioned, I went back and saw the cursor move from window to window. Huh? It'd be interesting to see this done using the above approach.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by allabulle View Post
    Also, it's a demonstration of a working beta, to show what's working and the benefits of it, and not the proof of measured increased speed of a final product nor a selling point of a published software. A rough estimate is more than enough in a situation like this one, I think. And it's best observed side by side, even if possibly not entirely accurate. It even might get better before release, who knows.
    Kind of what I was getting at more or less. The blog posts are kind of informal, saying here's what we're working on and it helps to keep people interested. They're not pitches for a sellable product at this point so I guess I figure there will be a time to evaluate the software in more detail when its closer to release or even after its released.

Looking good
    Gary Chike

Quote Originally Posted by allabulle View Post

I think the methodologies to collect and present information to potential buyers of a product and sneak peeks of an ongoing development don't need to agree. A more casual approach is fine here, the information is still relevant and it doesn't take much more time and other resources out of the team.

I liked the videos and I'm glad the blog is getting more content. Hey, I'm even happy that it exists at all. It also sets a nice precedent for subsequent LightWave's versions, like "LightWave Next after the Next."
    Great post.

Any improvement regarding performance is most welcome. Go ahead, LW3DG!!!
    Ground control to Major Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MAUROCOR View Post
    Any improvement regarding performance is most welcome. Go ahead, LW3DG!!!
    for sure , the additions already shown are enough for me to put my money down for LWNEXT...

Good work NT! Where is that godzilla model from?
    Now we have to wonder if lightwave next can finally have 2 or more rigged characters in a scene with usable fps. No turning off rigs for other characters.
    I hope the rig evaluation is also optimized. That's a huge deal.

Some important words from Rob Powers:

"Forgive the delay in new blog posts but as we move closer to release it requires some increased focus on development, marketing, sales, and related details but finally we have a new blog post for you."

Again:

"Forgive the delay in new blog posts but as we move closer to release..."

And once more:

"... we move closer to release..."

Every nanosecond is closer to release.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    every nanosecond is closer to release. :d
    :d :d :d :d :d

Quote Originally Posted by lightscape View Post
    Good work NT! Where is that godzilla model from?
    Now we have to wonder if lightwave next can finally have 2 or more rigged characters in a scene with usable fps. No turning off rigs for other characters.
    I hope the rig evaluation is also optimized. That's a huge deal.
    Yes, this is A VERY good resources question, and needed for Soo long.

(Along with fix the bloody audio scrubber for Lip-Sync)

If we get this Speed overhead Up there, so we can finally have 2 rigged characters?
    Can we have toggleable Onion-Skin for each of them with this Chronosculpty speed?

Now that will give us some artistic traction & attraction!
    Last edited by ianr; 03-29-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Yes, this is A VERY good resources question, and needed for Soo long.

(Along with fix the bloody audio scrubber for Lip-Sync)

If we get this Speed overhead Up there, so we can finally have 2 rigged characters?
    Can we have toggleable Onion-Skin for each of them with this Chronosculpty speed?

Now that will give us some artistic traction & attraction!
    Keep in mind while the geometry engine is new the "wrapper" is still the same old LW. More work is needed, but this is the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    rob, i have a few questions about the conditions of the comparison:

1. was the same machine used for capturing both 2015 and lw.next usage? What are the machine specs used (incl. Drive(s) and interface used for mdd)?

2. can you describe how the captures were done? Live screencaptures or via camera? Were they done simultaneously or as separate runs (and why)?

3. (edit) in the case of the mdd captures, what (if anything) was done to ensure equivalent disk caching, etc. State for both apps?

4. why no stopwatch/timecode embedded and shown in captured video? Would have been nice to have reliable basis for quantified comparison.

thanks!

(edit) hrgiger seems to indicate screencapture of both apps were done simultaneously on same machine? I'm really hoping that wasn't the case, but if so, what precautions were taking w.r.t. Cpu affinities, gfx scheduling, etc. To ensure "fair" comparison?
    lol
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast