Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Discussion for Upcoming Performance Optimizations in The Next LightWave Release Blog

Yeah, I upgraded my On1 software about a month or so back too. Had Photo 10.5 and bought the upgrade for $49.99. Great price and lots of features.I too think the LW3D team could learn from this aswell.

It would be good to have @Rob Powers showing up again to clarify current status.
    I, for one, would appreciate to know if I have to wait 3 years, and not being tired of showing up every year and see things are at the same state as last year.
    It's not impossible, just unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by iaef View Post
    It would be good to have @Rob Powers showing up again to clarify current status.
    I, for one, would appreciate to know if I have to wait 3 years, and not being tired of showing up every year and see things are at the same state as last year.

Maybe Rob Powers isnt' with the company any longer. Its been almost a year since anyone has heard from him and the last time we had any word from anyone it came from Andrew Cross. Last time NT management had anything to say about LW was when they got rid of Jay Roth and killed CORE. And when I wrote to LW3DG a month ago, I asked about LW Next and if Rob was still with the company. They only replied about LW Next (we're working on it, blah blah blah....) and ignored my question about Rob.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 09-14-2017 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Maybe Rob Power isnt' with the company any longer. Its been almost a year since anyone has heard from him and the last time we had any word from anyone it came from Andrew Cross. Last time NT management had anything to say about LW was when they got rid of Jay Roth and killed CORE. And when I wrote to LW3DG a month ago, I asked about LW Next and if Rob was still with the company. They only replied about LW Next (we're working on it, blah blah blah....) and ignored my question about Rob.
    Interesting info thanks.

The only acceptable reason for the silence is that they are not allowed to communicate due to some personal / health reasons of RP or legal issues. Anything else is not acceptable in my opinion. The damage is done already anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    Beta software in production? Yup, why not.

<meme pic removed>

Actually, it was more often than not, specially when it come to new research and high end movie.

There are technologies developed seat-of-the-pant as if to get a movie done. From the original Tron all the way to even now. Some end up being sold to public as software/plug-ins. So yeah, it's possible.

Maybe not all scene, not all PC, not all asset. Maybe special 'hero scene' which they can quickly scrap if the result isn't good enough.

I watched enough bonus content on DVD to know that happen a lot on the 'trying to get over the edge' movies which the director just shrugged, "we deleted the scene because we couldn't get acceptable result".

My 2 cent.

Well one thing is for sure. This was a tough road for anyone to take. No matter how it was done. Nothing would surprise me. A lot of people have their "well man all they need to do is...". And my take on it is, I would have left with the Modo team. Screw this. So I see anyone left to clean up the mess that was LightWave after attempts to breathe life into a corpse for 10 years as, man... lucky you! Geez! Needless to say I would not envy them. But it goes around and around in circles. They should not have killed CORE. But core was going to realistically take 15 years. (no one wanted to admit to that or commit to it) So they change course and decide to perform taxidermy on the corpse. That is also another good 10 years job - at least from that point. No one, especially the public wants to believe that. Or buy into it and so on. And that is why I would have just said screw this. LightWave dies in 2000 and life moves on. But you know, they wanted to keep propping it up and following that mistake by other mistakes. The whole thing smacks of one big case of denial.

So you say you want to support LightWave and be positive. I know I do. But that also means being realistic. To continue to believe in LightWave, in that initial thing that brought you to this application in the first place, and to want it to succeed means to commit to the long term. And it seems that no one but no one wants to admit to that. Not the management, not the developers, not the public. Silence and rage.

So it is not surprising to me, that the people who inspired me to get into 3D way back then, Stuart and Allen, who seemed to be at the right place at the right time, continued to have the good sense to know when it was the right place and right time to move on. And we now have Modo. Which is here now. Right on time to eek out the same niche that LightWave did in the beginning.

Go figure.

I think if they release the next version - assuming they can get it working - it will be great. But most people are still not going to grasp where it is in the long haul and be critical that it is still old LightWave. Whatever, I think they could do it. They can move back up in the market with the stated plan. Maybe I am an optimist. But they have to be committed to a long term plan. If not. Just pull the plug and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by fablefox View Post
    Actually, it was more often than not, specially when it come to new research and high end movie.

There are technologies developed seat-of-the-pant as if to get a movie done. From the original Tron all the way to even now. Some end up being sold to public as software/plug-ins. So yeah, it's possible.

Maybe not all scene, not all PC, not all asset. Maybe special 'hero scene' which they can quickly scrap if the result isn't good enough.

I watched enough bonus content on DVD to know that happen a lot on the 'trying to get over the edge' movies which the director just shrugged, "we deleted the scene because we couldn't get acceptable result".

My 2 cent.

There's a difference my friend between a "Beta" software and in-house tools / plugins / extension.

Edit.

Like I said in other thread - I'm assuming Rob is long gone or on gag order until the work is done and he can be sacked.

The very long silence and lack of communication reminds me of the recent Atari game release of Rollercoaster Tycoon World. Atari promised the world, a great top notch game with all the bells and whistles and then some. Then the game went into Early Access and when gamers got it, they didn't like what they say. Atari said it would get better. Then just days prior to the release, the CEO of Atari released a statement saying Atari were committed to the game's future and not to worry. The game got released and Atari went quiet. Now the game is in limbo with lots of features missing and lots of fans peed off!! Constant calls on Atari to address the issues and release the missing features from the game fall on deaf ears.

Lightwave Next is like this in that calls for info is falling on deaf ears and we recently have the a top member of LW3DG come on and say all is well... But is it???
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

M And when I wrote to LW3DG a month ago, I asked about LW Next and if Rob was still with the company. They only replied about LW Next (we're working on it, blah blah blah....) and ignored my question about Rob.
    When there are long delays like this and plenty of silence it makes me wonder about many things including if Rob Powers is still steering the Lightwave ship. We know Matt and Lino still seem to be on board.

...And when I wrote to LW3DG a month ago, I asked about LW Next and if Rob was still with the company. They only replied about LW Next (we're working on it, blah blah blah....) and ignored my question about Rob.
    i'm just crossing fingers and toes he is alright. last time we heard from him he was sick. so praying all is well.
    not speculating more on that, just hoping all is fine.
    Last edited by erikals; 09-14-2017 at 07:10 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213