Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion for the New Render Buffer Workflow Blog Post

is it to much to ask to have both a zdepth buffer, and I really mean a zdepth by definition, where it is the distance from camera to object. and then have a fog pass for those that want a fog pass? we have had this argument enough that I don't see a way around just having both.

- - - Updated - - -

technical people are going to demand a true zdepth, I'm one of them, and with good reason, people use fog passes, and there are uses for those aswell, but to have either or is going to upset someone.
    illuminatedtools.com My great light probe Library.

Quote Originally Posted by lino.grandi View Post
    We agree, that would be very welcome.
    Lino, speaking of such things: Will the coming release of LW include user-configurable token-/field-replacement render annotations/watermarks (incl. support for pass/buffer tokens)? Such functionality is very straightforward, requires minimal dev effort to implement (and highly suitable for comprehensive automated testing), yet of suprisingly high utility (and thus RoI).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.5),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by wellsichris View Post
    technical people are going to demand a true zdepth, I'm one of them, and with good reason, people use fog passes, and there are uses for those aswell, but to have either or is going to upset someone.
    Agree 100%: LW needs to offer both (like nigh-all of its competitors), because they both serve important purposes. Learn from history.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.5),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Will LW2016 have a UV buffer? And will it be without antialiasing as it should? Would be nice to have a toggle for include or exclude specific buffers from antialiasing.

Not that I don´t deem it useful, but I find it pretty surprising that once a new feature such as this appears, people asks inmediately for a coverage pass, which not only it is something pretty new, but also something that most industry-standard renderers such as Arnold do NOT include off-the-shelf (at least until last summer, not sure about more recent versions) and has to be added by users themselves.
    So everybody lived without it for 10+ years and suddenly it´s impossible to work without it? geez, go figure...
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?there´s plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

Chuck Baker's Corollary:

Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Blown Glass ˇ Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Netvudu View Post
    geez, go figure...
    ^This.

On a sidenote I think there are passes for each light group(bottom of the drop down), is this right Lino?

This update is awesome. It's especially useful now that Blackmagic have released the (almost complete) free version of Fusion. Compositing and post-retouching for everyone!
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Yep, awesome update. Lightwave Next/2016/13 gets me more excited at each new blog post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightwave3d_dino_dielectric.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	132033

Sorry had to, this looks great

Name:	lightwave3d_dino_sigma.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	132034

And this

Name:	lightwave3d_dino_sigma2b.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	132035

This also.

Also if I'm getting it right, the coverage pass is like an object ID but thought specifically for comp to select the exact pixels of the object. I can see that this must bring some kind of leverage on integrating or blending pixels with background plates or other render passes, but how much is that leverage that makes it worth? silly question from a non-iniciated coverage passer.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Whuch way would you like most?
    I've been playing around with FOG pass and using the Luminance to drive Depth Blur in Fusion, which gives a little more control over the standard Zdepth approach. But I suppose having both options would be the best solution... the fact that you can see instantly in VPR will be a small time saver.

And some ability to correctly clamp the depth when using the Zdepth approach.

Light Buffers have not been propely implemented yet. We're working on it.
    Cool. Look forward to seeing more then.

Quote Originally Posted by wellsichris View Post
    is it to much to ask to have both a zdepth buffer, and I really mean a zdepth by definition, where it is the distance from camera to object. and then have a fog pass for those that want a fog pass? we have had this argument enough that I don't see a way around just having both.

- - - Updated - - -

So it would be nice if both solutions were included in the next release.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Consider in 2016, it should hit the ground running, with a full Mature set of Buffers
    NO part1 & part2 (in 2017)

LW3DG a has Window to be seen putting out at mature suite!

So Hold off for a few weeks please & finish it.

For 'Others' will only look at half-implemented & go 'Tut, Tut AGAIN?'

Finish it LW3DG. Listen to...Mensch.... they only wish you Well?

jwiede :
    some provision for object matte/breakout buffers within
    the upcoming release......(& the rest of his fine post)

wellsichris :
    technical people are going to demand a true zdepth,
    I'm one of them, and with good reason, people use fog passes,
    and there are uses for those aswell,
    but to have either or is going to upset someone.
    Last edited by ianr; 01-23-2016 at 09:39 AM.

Yeah sadly the convoluted buffer workflow is what kept me away from any complex animation rendering work in Lightwave. Really glad to see this is being improved upon even though I wanted better deformation capabilities more than anything. Now I see we are getting both!
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    The "special buffers" thingamabob always made my brain hurt.

In the Composite buffer dialog (?? Maybe the PSD one), there were several undocumented fields that I could never get anybody to explain.

Never understood why.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast