Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 391

Thread: Discussion for the New Render Buffer Workflow Blog Post

  1. #376

    Cool, i wasn't quite sure!  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  2. #377
    Registered User AmigaNewTek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rome
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    He will not reply to you, cause you haven't attached the spotinfo LW node

  3. #378
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    We already have that, so I have a hard time to see why they wouldn't support it in the next version.
    Internal or as a 3rd party tool?

  4. #379
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    Internal or as a 3rd party tool?
    I think he's referring to EXR Trader, 3rd party from DB&W.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  5. #380
    Any News Newtek...??? Sigh...!

  6. #381

    sorry, you're too late, we've been complaining for 6 months straight now.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  7. #382
    Yeah...i've been following. By the time LW next 2017 comes out, the features on the blog will be absolete...Better have a modeler in layout by then! just sayin'

  8. #383
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    We already have that, so I have a hard time to see why they wouldn't support it in the next version.
    Are you referring to native LW or exrTrader (commercial third-party plugin)?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.5),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

  9. #384
    Dreamer Ztreem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,669
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Are you referring to native LW or exrTrader (commercial third-party plugin)?
    Native LW.

  10. #385
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Native LW.
    I'd definitely like to see native EXR buffer support modified to work a LOT more like exrTrader. LW desperately needs something akin to exrTrader's preset configs, in particular. Actually, if DB&W okay with idea, LW3DG licensing and natively integrating exrTrader, infiniMap, and frameD would be amazing -- all bring highly-valuable file-handling capabilities to LW, and would help make LW more competitive. Such file handling is a basic, but highly-used/-visible area where LW is quite far "behind the pack".

    Generally adding something like C4D's Token support w.r.t. render buffer and file naming would also be quite nice (if added, please also make it extensible by script/plugin as in C4D, turns out to be quite useful/valuable). It isn't a "big" feature, but you quickly realize that MAXON absolutely hit a home run with the way C4D render buffers already worked, and how they integrated Takes and Tokens functionality onto those existing capabilities.

    LW isn't really built in a way that adding C4D-like "Takes" is feasible ("Takes" are kind of a derivation of C4D's NLA infrastructure), as much as I'd love for LW to have such functionality. Still, adding C4D-like "Tokens" to LW definitely should be doable, fairly direct, and very useful (esp. if combined with exrTrader-like buffer mgmt).
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-06-2016 at 04:18 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.5),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

  11. #386
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,124
    This has made me laugh a few times now. Thanks.

    Can't wait to see what's next with Lightwave.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

  12. #387
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I'd definitely like to see native EXR buffer support modified to work a LOT more like exrTrader. LW desperately needs something akin to exrTrader's preset configs, in particular. Actually, if DB&W okay with idea, LW3DG licensing and natively integrating exrTrader, infiniMap, and frameD would be amazing -- all bring highly-valuable file-handling capabilities to LW, and would help make LW more competitive. Such file handling is a basic, but highly-used/-visible area where LW is quite far "behind the pack".

    Generally adding something like C4D's Token support w.r.t. render buffer and file naming would also be quite nice (if added, please also make it extensible by script/plugin as in C4D, turns out to be quite useful/valuable). It isn't a "big" feature, but you quickly realize that MAXON absolutely hit a home run with the way C4D render buffers already worked, and how they integrated Takes and Tokens functionality onto those existing capabilities.

    LW isn't really built in a way that adding C4D-like "Takes" is feasible ("Takes" are kind of a derivation of C4D's NLA infrastructure), as much as I'd love for LW to have such functionality. Still, adding C4D-like "Tokens" to LW definitely should be doable, fairly direct, and very useful (esp. if combined with exrTrader-like buffer mgmt).
    Can you explain what file handling capabilities the C4D-like "Takes" is actually doing?

    - - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Julez4001; 10-15-2016 at 02:49 AM.

  13. #388
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    Can you explain what file handling capabilities the C4D-like "Takes" is actually doing?
    Think of "Takes" as a way to set up alternate render passes (as opposed to simply different buffers within a render), incl. different object visibility settings, alpha masking/setting, and so forth. When you get into more complex object masking/matting scenarios, esp. large numbers of object mattes (beyond what a single render can support), having something like C4D Takes (or JANUS or Passport, for that matter) native in LW becomes much more important.

    C4D's "Takes" is (at a basic level) conceptually similar to either JANUS or Passport, though its UX handling isn't much like either (it's UX is difficult to describe, as it kind of builds upon C4D's existing NLA UX). The way MAXON implemented Takes (and its UX) happens to be very conceptually easy to use, yet very flexible as well. Both JANUS and PassPort tend to rely on sequences of list/multilist dialogs and text listings for UX. Their approaches work adequately, but getting an overview of the entire expected result requires significantly more digging for either versus doing the same thing with C4D Takes (IMO, anyway), as does debugging pathological situations/results.

    I guess technically a better way to describe Takes would be "output handling", but as I'd also mentioned infiniMap and frameD (which both work on optimizing input-side texture file handling), I chose to describe the "feature class" more generally as "file handling".
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-20-2016 at 09:34 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.5),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

  14. #389
    ------------------------- MrWyatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,070
    Is all of this just vaporware? I was first intrigued at the supposed new features but now years have passed and there is nothing to show for. LW price has dropped. Upgrade "specials" have newer expired and I am really wondering when Newtek is finally going to announce LW has died and won't be back. The lack of information goes a long way to show us the lack of respect they have for their ever shrinking user base. Just say it NT! Tell us it is over and we can move on instead of sitting idle by a rotting corpse waiting for you to occasionally step in, poke it with a stick to make it fart and say "See guys, improved Hypervoxels in LW Next. Just wait and see" and then you go back behind your curtain, waiting for the next guy to buy the upgrade to LW 2015 because he thinks Next is just around the corner and he might miss out on a sweet deal if he doesn't upgrade before that.

    It has been said a million times before, but I'll say it again: NT's marketing of LW blows more that Harvey or Irma combined.

    just sayin'

    cheers
    Guillaume
    www.mrwyatt.de
    lighting & rendering supervisor at
    Ambient Entertainment

    current project


    IMDB

  15. #390
    Whether I agree with the sentiment or not, that is a great piece of descriptive writing.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •