Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Blog Post: The Modifier Stack.

Thanks Lino. Not intimately familiar with modifier stacks but seems every time I see one in different programs they look totally different than the last implementation.
    Lol, no worries, I'll learn it.

Lino, I feel the two are not that very different and besides, in the video, you are point sculpting/animating his shoulder to create a corrective morph. I can understand creating corrective morphs (or any morph for that matter) and have those available. However, having the ability to point sculpt a mesh depending on how the mesh is being animated (exaggerated, cartoony run cycle vs real world man run cycle) an animator would want to be able to create/sculpt that 'morph' and hopefully have the ability to save just created morph. Or, the the shape or sculpt was only a one-off, at least the animator could create that on the fly and not have to stop and go make a corrective morph.

For example, in messiah, I can animate using IK/FK bones and then on top of that, I can point animate. Now during animation, if I like a pose or sculpt, I can save that out as a morph, and then re-import it as a morph back onto the mesh, and then use it again and again.
    Last edited by ernesttx; 12-18-2015 at 01:44 PM.
    It's better to have tried and failed, than to have failed to try.
    Patreon - www.patreon.com/ernesttx

an alternative method is doing it in both Modeler / Layout at the same time,
    this way the deformed area can always be in focus,
    perfect deformation, but the technique itself is a bit limited...

------------------

2nd alternative is to use the LW2016 technique with a CCTV in VPR to always focus on the deformed area
    ( haven't made a video of that... yet... )
    but this might be over-doing it, might be better just to zoom in/out in LW2016... need to test...

------------------

the best would be to have as ernestfx says the first and the second mesh in the same place,
    with the correct math, it should be possible.

challenge > might be a lot of code though.
    it would require some reverse engineering.

------------------

but again, it's Very good that we're getting this Modifier Stack

Last edited by erikals; 12-18-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by lino.grandi View Post
    Our Jarno van der Linden made an amazing job with both the Modifier Stack and some awesome new nodes.
    Amen for that!

Really nice addition.
    Last edited by MAUROCOR; 12-18-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    Ground control to Major Tom

Ohh I see where all this is going! XD Amazing!!

So, a quick question. Where is all this information stored?

So if I create a movement like shown where a character rises his arm and down again. Then create corrective morphs. Where does this leave the information? Is it on the model as a different type of morph so when I import the character into another scene the corrective morphs are applied on it, or is it dependent on the scene to have the information, and corrective morphs are saved there? Im just thinking workflow wise. If I do several characters with corrective morphs on them. Someone animates one, then another animator is on another, we would then want to bring these together. Or something as simple as bringing in an animated character into a scene where is this information held and how simple is it to transfer this information from one scene to the other for simple management?

Hope I make sense, I tend to handle objects and animation separately and combine it all at the end for better memory management.
    Im loving this!

Quote Originally Posted by Satera View Post
    Ohh I see where all this is going! XD Amazing!!

So, a quick question. Where is all this information stored?
    It's a morph, so will be stored in model.
    fauxWaver \foʊ-wāv-er\, n. one who likes LightWave, but shuns car-anologies.

Quote Originally Posted by ernesttx View Post
    For example, in messiah, I can animate using IK/FK bones and then on top of that, I can point animate. Now during animation, if I like a pose or sculpt, I can save that out as a morph, and then re-import it as a morph back onto the mesh, and then use it again and again.
    I am pretty sure that the workflow will improve over the course of developement (not sure if those improvements will make it to the release though).
    EDIT: With this I am refering to your suggestions....which are good ones!

But... hand on your heart; do you think that this is a step (a single step that is) in the right direction, or, do you feel that it is a step back?
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Can we have a fracture tool as part of the modifier stack? Or a Boolean?
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Thanks for the blog post and video! It's really appreciated.

It must have been hard, working for years on the new architecture and as it was maturing not being able to show it or talk about it. It looks really good! I'm eager to play with the new LightWave as I ever was.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

A really nicely written and informative blog post. Like others, I'm a little disappointed there's no option for multiple subdivisions, but it's not the end of the world - and the new pipeline will still provide a huge boost over the existing setup. Can't wait to play with this in the final product!
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Thanks Lino.
    Why do we need a second mesh to make morph adjustments to the character? That's not very lightwavy.
    Always hated that in max and maya.

Wow did I see quads in Layout!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    Can we have a fracture tool as part of the modifier stack? Or a Boolean?
    That's probably a bigger change than you might think
    This is deformation order stacking same as in Maya and the rest of the 3d world.....what you are talking about would be modifier stacking, including changes to the topology...totally different ball game....the model would have to stay live and cook through the model stack at every frame (houdini does this while procedural modelling) but at some point the memory gets out of hand.

Great job Lino and Co.

Slowly checking off the list of everyone's hopes and complaints....

If you guys keep this up, we won't have anything to whine about

Quote Originally Posted by ernesttx View Post
    Lino, I feel the two are not that very different and besides, in the video, you are point sculpting/animating his shoulder to create a corrective morph. I can understand creating corrective morphs (or any morph for that matter) and have those available. However, having the ability to point sculpt a mesh depending on how the mesh is being animated (exaggerated, cartoony run cycle vs real world man run cycle) an animator would want to be able to create/sculpt that 'morph' and hopefully have the ability to save just created morph. Or, the the shape or sculpt was only a one-off, at least the animator could create that on the fly and not have to stop and go make a corrective morph.

Yes, Messiah Point Animation is absolutely amazing. I've been playing with that, and yes, you can sculpt the mesh and create "mesh" keyframes that stays consistent with the bone rotations.

So you can actually sculpt in pose.

A question...how do you save the morph in Messiah?

Something important about the video: you can already make edits on the same mesh you've rigged in this "next" version of LightWave.
    The fact you can use a different one (again, that happens through a new dedicated node) should be considered a plus, and opens for some interesting new possibilities.

Anyway, just remember we only show what is currently available in the current development state of the software, and that we're constantly aiming for improvements all over the place.

Thank you for feedback about this!
    Lino Grandi
    3D Development, LightWave 3D Group/NewTek, Inc.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/

LightWave 3D Group YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Official...?feature=watch

My YouTube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/linograndi?feature=mhee

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast