Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion Thread for the New Blog Post: Part 2 on the new Unified Mesh System

President, the LightWave Group robpowers3d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Of course. But its not available for purchase yet so right now its just development information.
    Well, it is slightly different from "development information" in that generally Lino and I are not mentioning architectural details that are not actually already implemented and in testing. So in that sense they are very real...but yes the product is not released yet so I understand your perspective.
    Rob Powers

President, NewTek LightWave 3D Group
    Burbank, CA

Cool! The deformation stack seems like this means full UNDO and historical, nondestructive edits?

Sorry, I'm stupid tired. Several posts have mentioned "UGE." -- I did page searches in all the blog posts, but it didn't come up. What is UGE?

Quote Originally Posted by DrStrik9 View Post
    Sorry, I'm stupid tired. Several posts have mentioned "UGE." -- I did page searches in all the blog posts, but it didn't come up. What is UGE?
    I believe it is what they are calling the "Unified Geometry Engine"

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    Cool! The deformation stack seems like this means full UNDO and historical, nondestructive edits?
    No, not really. I think its more like the old twist and bend tools in layout. Depending on in which order you place them the effect will be different. Like, first bend then twist or first twist then bend...

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    I believe it is what they are calling the "Unified Geometry Engine"
    Ahh, OK thanks. LOL "Unified Mesh System" = UGE. Tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    No, not really. I think its more like the old twist and bend tools in layout. Depending on in which order you place them the effect will be different. Like, first bend then twist or first twist then bend...
    I hope you're wrong about that. Can something that requires a specific procedure be accurately called a "stack"? If "stack" applies that way, then Modeler has used "stacks" for decades. The word Stack in a forward-thinking context has greater connotations than a mere "list", such as possibly being non-destructive, etc.

At least I hope so ...

One thing occurs... once the devs have largely completed the foundational changes (which I assume is close to being done beyond testing and tweaking), then they'll get to spend their time on updating, new tools, pulling modeler tools into layout etc. Getting over the hump of the foundational changes will (I imagine) be such a huge relief for them all, and I expect they'll be chewing at the bit to move onto new and fun things! (After a good rest of course )

Maybe I misunderstood the first two paragraphs of Rob's post but please, LW3DG, learn from the past. If you don't want to live the same crisis again, be aware that these new foundations, as good as they could be, won't last the next 20 years as previously. Since I am not sure to be retired at that time, that worries me a bit
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Of course. But its not available for purchase yet so right now its just development information.
    It doesn't need to be avail for purchase now. It just needs to show that it is already doable as stated. Not 3-5 years from now.
    I hope they look at how Softimage was handled poorly. Goind dark. Not showing actual stuff going on.
    In the end people lost interest and moved on and xsi couldnt recover.

Peoplr have even more choicees now. If NT wants people to invest time and money now they have to show actual working prototype not concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStrik9 View Post
    I hope you're wrong about that. Can something that requires a specific procedure be accurately called a "stack"? If "stack" applies that way, then Modeler has used "stacks" for decades. The word Stack in a forward-thinking context has greater connotations than a mere "list", such as possibly being non-destructive, etc.

At least I hope so ...
    In modeler you can not move the bend or twist Tools in different positions for different effects as its applied as you drop the tool. In layout they are applied as modifiers and can be rearanged for different effects, more like a stack. This was more like an example, that it does not have anything to do with the undo system. Hopefully the new deformation stack is more powerful and incoperates the possibility to stack subdivisions, bone deformation, displacements etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lightscape View Post
    I hope they look at how Softimage was handled poorly. Goind dark. Not showing actual stuff going on.
    I don't think that had much of anything to do with XSI's demise. Truth is, Autodesk bought it off of AVID for a few million because it was dirt cheap. They were probably intrigued with getting the ICE code and FACEROBOT stuff ported over to MAYA in one way or another. They already owned two 3D packages how much do you think they really cared about a third? Especially when you compare the numbers of the userbase MAYA and 3DMax had much larger userbases/profit margins as far as ROI. (Although per seat XSI probably made more profit compared to 3DMAX, 3DMAX outstripped XSI in volume of sales.)

And to omichon, what piece of software do you use that you think will be using the same base code in 20 years? Notepad?

Quote Originally Posted by robpowers3d View Post
    Well, it is slightly different from "development information" in that generally Lino and I are not mentioning architectural details that are not actually already implemented and in testing. So in that sense they are very real...but yes the product is not released yet so I understand your perspective.
    Yeah Rob I was merely implying that I've heard people say that they can't buy software that can't even show the details that are mentioned. I was just saying that its not a case like CORE where you are asking people to buy software they havent' seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lightscape View Post
    It doesn't need to be avail for purchase now. It just needs to show that it is already doable as stated. Not 3-5 years from now.
    This is nothing like what XSI went through. XSI went through a total software rewrite where LightWave's restructuring is being done in phases. While they have been working on this new version, they have released LW 11 and LW 2015 not to mention two free feature upgrades. Not exactly 'going dark'. Its only been a year since the last version of LW came out.

And XSI was quite popular and had a much larger userbase then either Modo or Lightwave and there are a lot of people who will continue to use it until it just won't work anymore because of its flexibility and extensibility. It could have been continued but Autodesk sucks

I am very pleased the developers are giving us info via the blog every week or two. This is so much better than before. Whilst I have not taken up any of the upgrade offers as I play wait and see, the new direction impresses with the modernisation of LW shown so far compared to where it was before. I guess animatable parametric extrusions of geometry and text won't be in 2016, but good to know that it is now a possible feature in later revisions with geometry now possible in Layout.
    Alex Hunter
    Editor and 2D/3D Motion Designer

Showreel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2JB8hmJLTE

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast