Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion Thread for the New Blog Post: Part 2 on the new Unified Mesh System

Quote Originally Posted by robpowers3d View Post
    Actually our approach on any new modeling tool development currently is to develop the tools to be as compatible with both the modeler and Layout systems as much as possible to avoid what you mention. We have thought about this quite a bit.
    Super cool

Certainly it is not two steps back. Modernizing and moving forward on all fronts is our goal but architectural work is not feature work. That is true... but modernizing the architecture will vastly improve workflows and feature development for the future...and have added benefits right now like the mesh deformation stack workflow change mentioned.
    Rob,

About this deformation stack workflow, is this only for Layout modeler tools at the moment..or can you edit your model in modeler & have the edits appear in the stack in layout?

Certainly it is not two steps back. Modernizing and moving forward on all fronts is our goal but architectural work is not feature work. That is true... but modernizing the architecture will vastly improve workflows and feature development for the future...and have added benefits right now like the mesh deformation stack workflow change mentioned.
    Thank you for the prompt reply. I'd like to clarify that I am a massive fan of this product so I appreciate the ability to talk with the developers, and be heard. This stack sounds awesome though and productive. Will this be something on the lines of Max's modifier stack?

nobody mentions him so i ll do it ... thanks david ikeda.. they started to do what you always wanted to do . i wished he - chronomaster - was also on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Satera View Post
    Thank you for the prompt reply. I'd like to clarify that I am a massive fan of this product so I appreciate the ability to talk with the developers, and be heard. This stack sounds awesome though and productive. Will this be something on the lines of Max's modifier stack?
    probably more like the stack in Blender for now i think.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/
    http://www.monster2u.com/
    http://www.f9render.com/
    http://www.greencustard.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Fantastic news, thank you Rob. I really do appreciate a lot about Lightwave, just needed some large replacements like this one.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Nice post Rob.

People who are looking to buy Lightwave will need to see proof that right now there's
    "full awareness of vertices, polygons, and edges. Layout now having the ability to actually create geometry"

Not the future...now. It doesn't need to have a sexy UI or workflow. It just needd to show that ability or else it doesn't really draw people in.

Quote Originally Posted by lightscape View Post
    Not the future...now. It doesn't need to have a sexy UI or workflow. It just needd to show that ability or else it doesn't really draw people in.
    Of course. But its not available for purchase yet so right now its just development information.

and have added benefits right now like the mesh deformation stack workflow change mentioned.
    Rob, if you're going to mention this so much, can you give us some notion of what kind of UI or workflow is involved for reordering, so we can better understand actual user benefits/limitations? Will it in LW2016 offer the level of control Chris S. mentioned? If not, what level of control will be available in LW2016 in terms of deformation order of execution? Any rough idea by what factor deformation speed has been improved?

Also, can you please clarify whether the ability to create geometry or other UGE benefits will be exposed via Layout SDK / Python / LScript in LW2016?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jwiede; 12-01-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I think LW is going to be glanced at more and more by other users over the coming years, the solid base they are implementing will sort of future proof it I hope. I wonder if some of the new tools, like the lattice will be available in Layout for the next release, it's not creating geometry, only pushing it about, so it might be the case. The message I'm getting from the blog is that this next version will primarily be about the UGE and renderer. Once this is delivered they will be free to spend all their development time on shipping modeler functionality into Layout, that will be the phase 2, but presently I think we might see some deformation tools in the phase 1 release. What keeps me interested is it is obvious they are holding back on really showing us anything dazzling, everything has been very low key, not a single flashy render to show off the realism of the new renderer for example, just small self contained test samples. Imagine what we'll be seeing when they decide to launch this thing. Lightwave definitely has a future.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Of course. But its not available for purchase yet so right now its just development information.
    Well, that all depends on how far off LW2016 is from release. If LW2016's coming in 2H16, sure. If LW2016 will show up by end of 1Q16, the content is much too fluffy.
    John W.

<forum coma duplicate post removed>
    Last edited by jwiede; 12-01-2015 at 09:31 PM.
    John W.

great news Rob....structural changes much more important then flashy tools.....well they lead to better flashy tools at least

President, the LightWave Group robpowers3d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    nobody mentions him so i ll do it ... thanks david ikeda.. they started to do what you always wanted to do . i wished he - chronomaster - was also on board.
    I'm happy to mention David. The initial mesh system work that he did was very good and David is a talented individual. We wish him well.
    Rob Powers

President, NewTek LightWave 3D Group
    Burbank, CA

President, the LightWave Group robpowers3d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Rob, if you're going to mention this so much, can you give us some notion of what kind of UI or workflow is involved for reordering, so we can better understand actual user benefits/limitations? Will it in LW2016 offer the level of control Chris S. mentioned? If not, what level of control will be available in LW2016 in terms of deformation order of execution? Any rough idea by what factor deformation speed has been improved?

Also, can you please clarify whether the ability to create geometry or other UGE benefits will be exposed via Layout SDK / Python / LScript in LW2016?

Thanks!
    Yes we plan to show more detail and more video demos in future posts. I know that everyone wants all of the information instantly but it is a process that will happen as we progress through the blog posts.
    Rob Powers

President, NewTek LightWave 3D Group
    Burbank, CA

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast