Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion Thread for the New Blog Post: Part 2 on the new Unified Mesh System

President, the LightWave Group robpowers3d's Avatar

Discussion Thread for the New Blog Post: Part 2 on the new Unified Mesh System

Discuss the LightWave Blog Post: Part 2 on the new Unified Mesh System Here.
    Rob Powers

President, NewTek LightWave 3D Group
    Burbank, CA

Doesn't have anything much new but does clarify several things. He says various tools to use the new architecture will become available over time. I'm wondering how good the SDK will be so that maybe third parties will develop new tools a little faster.
    "There can be no true beauty without decay." --Latin proverb. Nothing digital is beautiful?
    Our new movie is here: http://epistrophypictures.com

Well yay and drat.
    Sounds really good overall but soooooo few details. Give us more!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    ...the unified mesh system which we have implemented in LightWave Layout is an improved version of the modern mesh system which we developed for ChronoSculpt.
    Alright alright, now we're talking. ChronoSculpt is a sweet experience. I'm hopeful now to see more sculptural based tools developed along with the modeler staples.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    The unified mesh system does make our development job easier and will allow us to implement workflows involving the mesh system much more easily than we were able to do in the past.
    I figured that must be the case. Having to wrestle Historical LW into a headlock so you can try and force it to do something it was never designed for must be a shade more difficult than a modern LW with none of those restrictions. And instead of reading about a new industry standard like Pixar OpenSubdiv and thinking, "How the heck are we going to implement that?" you simply do it in the manner that Pixar intended.

I know as a user I have always thought that way. "Oh wow, OpenSubdiv looks great. Too bad LW will never have it." It would be nice to fix my broken attitude in that regard. I know I'm getting waaayyyy ahead of the curve but I'm excited!

Question Rob: In UGE's current state, what kind of performance are you getting tumbling, deforming etc. on say a million poly mesh? (fps)

Quote Originally Posted by hdace View Post
    Doesn't have anything much new but does clarify several things. .
    Did you miss the part about having a deformation stack? That means we can now choose how deformations are ordered in Layout. And that's pretty huge.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Did you miss the part about having a deformation stack? That means we can now choose how deformations are ordered in Layout. And that's pretty huge.
    Yeah, this is a huge amount of information dropped in a few short paragraphs. And there's enough there to have us speculating for weeks.
    For example, if there is a true deformation stack then there must also be a...
    Nah, I'll leave that to others.

Awesome: "a true deformation stack that can be reordered, improvements to morph and deformation speed, and much more."

I am very curious about the implementation. I hope we can precisely stack subdivisions and displacements. ie. base + displacement + 1 subdivision + displacement + 2 subdivisions + displacement + 1 subdivision. A nodal editor for stacking deformers and subdivisions might be nice.
    Last edited by Chris S. (Fez); 12-01-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wyattharris View Post
    Yeah, this is a huge amount of information dropped in a few short paragraphs. And there's enough there to have us speculating for weeks.
    For example, if there is a true deformation stack then there must also be a...
    Nah, I'll leave that to others.
    lol. Nice. And finally!!! Glad to hear it's based on Chronosculpt... which is pretty sweet when I tested it out last week. Fast as all hell. Good things... good things.

Great read, Rob! Thanks! Glad to hear about similarity with Chronosculpt. I got to test that out last week. And was amazed throwing a super dense mesh at it. Very exciting! Can't wait to hear/see more. Thanks. Now, just post another!

Rob, this post makes me quite happy. I've said it before and I'll say it again, architectural improvements are where its at in my book. Great work to you and the team on laying what sounds like a great foundation for future development.

Was hoping to hear more about just how improved deformation and/or scene handling is with the new mesh system. Like just how improved are we talking? Hopefully we'll see some demonstrations or comparisons with current LW.

So..these new modeler improvements shown in the previous blog post, are they using the "unified mesh system" or are they hacks for now?

President, the LightWave Group robpowers3d's Avatar
    Rob, this post makes me quite happy. I've said it before and I'll say it again, architectural improvements are where its at in my book. Great work to you and the team on laying what sounds like a great foundation for future development.

Was hoping to hear more about just how improved deformation and/or scene handling is with the new mesh system. Like just how improved are we talking? Hopefully we'll see some demonstrations or comparisons with current LW.
    Great to hear that you liked the post HR! Yes we plan to share more stats on improvements in the future and further details on deformation workflow updates as well.
    Rob Powers

President, NewTek LightWave 3D Group
    Burbank, CA

would love to see some video on this in the next blog.

nothing get's the point across better than a video 'showing you'.

we've seen video on the renderer, on hair on volumetrics....modeller layout camera view
    mesh system please!

If your writing about it...there must be something to see right!
    do it...open the box!
    Last edited by cresshead; 12-01-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/
    http://www.monster2u.com/
    http://www.f9render.com/
    http://www.greencustard.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

makes me curious to if importing Fluids objects from for example RealFlow an Houdini will fly...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    Architectural enhancements are great. They may not be as sexy as new features (non-value added is what I hear in manufacturing), but they are certainly important. I am glad this is coming as it opens up a lot of doors not just for LW3DG, but hopefully plugin developers as well. We are all looking forward to using ChroNevroModeLayout 2016 in early January.

You said we would not see a full modeling toolset in Layout, but are there tools you are looking to implement there in the next iteration? While I am not averse to a somewhat slow transition, I don't want to find myself having to model in both applications because of specific tools that only exist in one of the other.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey View Post
    So..these new modeler improvements shown in the previous blog post, are they using the "unified mesh system" or are they hacks for now?
    Well they're in modeler so no, they're not using new mesh system.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast