Page 4 of 138 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 3D BLOG is now up online!

Quote Originally Posted by robpowers3d View Post
    not only for traditional modeling but also for new innovative workflows.
    Like the Common Brush!

Yes we are aware of the strengths of a focused environment for the modeling workflow and that does not have to be exclusive to an entirely separate application.
    Thanks for response. I, along with everyone else, am very interested in seeing how you bring the best of both worlds together. (Star Trek Next Gen reference on purpose in keeping with the Star Trek reference in the blog. I guess talk of unification goes along with that too.)
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

This is all super exciting and exactly what I wanted to hear. I will be upgrading to 2016 the moment it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by realgray View Post
    This is all super exciting and exactly what I wanted to hear. I will be upgrading to 2016 the moment it's available.
    Same here.

Also, I'd like to comment on another aspect of the blog. Showing actual people at work and naming them helps in my opinion to humanize the crew, the LW3DG. I think that now that they are confident about the consolidation of the new path and possibilities they will probably communicate more. Personalizing that communication a bit will help people understand the whole thing better, the past present and future of LightWave. Sometimes a company, as an abstraction, won't inspire much empathy to its customer base, but a group of flesh and bones humans, working hard, are another matter. NewTek or the LW3DG is where my money goes and I want the best for it and "them." Adding a human layer to the equation can help many of us understand better the task at hand, and thus our 'investment' in money and time. A sense of community with the developers in mind instead of one with a company in front could be quite something else.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Quote Originally Posted by jboudreau View Post
    That's true. Glad to hear, I love having that separate environment just to focus on modelling as well as the layers (hopefully those will still be there in some way) 3DSMAX would be an example of a workflow that I can not stand no separate environment, cluttered interface, scrolling down menus and menus just to simply move a vertice or polygon etc. the list goes on and on.

Thanks,
    Jason
    I think softimage is a good example of how unification should be done. I was about to bail on lightwave as a replacement for Soft.

Will hang around and see what 2016 brings, been a long time since i have been excited about Lightwave.

What a great news! I am so glad you guys are in this point where you can share with us what you have acomplish and what to expect. You give me so many faith in Lightwave again. It was a long way but finally I can see something clear and bright right in front of us. Unified Geometry Engine - incredible! No one can stop us now!!! Thank you, Rob and LW3D Team. Your effort is really appreciated. I can wait to put my hands in the next release to create more and more, and posibly faster!
    Rob, can you give us some hint about " the not only for tradicional modeling but also for new innovative workflows"? Would be something like sculpting tools?
    Ground control to Major Tom

Well, really, thanks Rob and gang for the hard work, the blog and the really exciting news about unified mesh engine and new PBR engine. I'll upgrade to 2016 as soon as it's released. Already started to spare the cash

Just felt like this would be a good time to jump in and say that with all of this excitement about Lightwave 2016 I am a student of 3D currently in school who has done a lot of research and found the passion behind Lightwave exciting and the software unique and powerful, so instead of using Maya, which I was familiar with, I decided to use Lightwave instead, and only a couple of months in I can't say I regret it one bit. Glad to see the user base getting excited and I'm also excited that Rob interacts here on the forums the way he does because a faceless entity like Autodesk is a hard thing to communicate with.
    Softwares: NewTek Lightwave 3D with LWCAD (in progress), Autodesk Maya, Blender, ZBrush, Adobe Photoshop, World Machine, Quixel Suite, Zeuxis Procedural Texture Generator, Unity 5, Unreal Engine 4.

Yes we are aware of the strengths of a focused environment for the modeling workflow and that does not have to be exclusive to an entirely separate application.
    +1

good - as long as there is a focussed mode for modelling accessible somehow then unification will be great! After all 2 apps are just really separate process threads in a way. who cares if they are combined - as long as it allows both existing and new workflows to coexist.

Quote Originally Posted by allabulle View Post
    Same here.

Also, I'd like to comment on another aspect of the blog. Showing actual people at work and naming them helps in my opinion to humanize the crew, the LW3DG. I think that now that they are confident about the consolidation of the new path and possibilities they will probably communicate more. Personalizing that communication a bit will help people understand the whole thing better, the past present and future of LightWave. Sometimes a company, as an abstraction, won't inspire much empathy to its customer base, but a group of flesh and bones humans, working hard, are another matter. NewTek or the LW3DG is where my money goes and I want the best for it and "them." Adding a human layer to the equation can help many of us understand better the task at hand, and thus our 'investment' in money and time. A sense of community with the developers in mind instead of one with a company in front could be quite something else.
    Coudnīt agree more.
    I think itīs a smart idea to add behind-the-scenes Extraīs, just like a DVD/BD, and show that the LW3DG is not a letterbox company.

The Borg queen is also a good choice to show everybody that LW is used for more than spaceships and lensflares.

And because itīs "just" a blog, more freedom is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    When you say future workflows such as.. and then you say something else after that, that means you're talking about a future workflow.

If people look at this release and there aren't modeling improvements and you're disappointed by that, fine. But I think you need to see the bigger picture here. And keep in mind, my primary focus is on modeling and clearly I want modeling improvements. But these are the kinds of changes that LightWave has needed for years and changing this architecture is what is going to bring the kinds of significant changes to allow them in future release to take modeling to a whole other level. If you seriously would be satisfied if they put a handful of new modeling tools into a system that sucks at handling large polycounts, and has no consistency among tools, then again, you're not seeing the bigger picture. Modeling is clearly going into Layout eventually. But not for for this release no way, now how.
    While I fully agree thats bigger picture is most important there is one thign you are forgeting in that assesment. Modeling people (mysef included althoough i do lot more than just modeling) still need to model on daily basis so biger picture is their day jobs EVERY day not just some day in undefinied distant future that might solve their prolems. So although modeler is slow and old it's stil part of program installation and adding in few long ago asked tools (evne in that currently crippled anvironment) would still help modelign people tremendeously on daily basis while waiting, waiting to happen (unified environment).
    I need Slide tool at least 100 times a day (it's maybe even more since i spend 9-10h in modeler on daily basis and 2-3h in layout), I need Chamfer that can do rounded edges with more segments dozen of times a day, i need weld tools what not create junk geometry acidentally and few other tools that have been asked many many years ago. So waiting for those to appear again (waiting and asking since Lw 9.x actually) for who knows how long ain't cool regardless of user seing or not seing bigger picture .

Main point is that we still need to work on modeler while waiting them to replace/rewtite it or put in unified environment. You hav enothign to render if oyu don't model it it first or get/buy the model, everything starts from modeling.

So i really think that aksing for few modelign tools after so many year sof waiting wouldn't be that much waste of DEVs time even if is in current modeler architecture.

On the other side THANKS to the Rob and team puting up this blog and better communicating with users. Great work there.
    www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
    Home WS i7 Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/2x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080
    Work WS-i7 3930K/32GB/Win7x64/660GTX

My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

One thing about the integrated workflow. I am not sure it is being interpreted correctly. By saying that these advantages of a focused environment does not have to be exclusive to two apps, does not have to mean that there will be some kind of Mode. And secondly I think the "cluttered" comments are a bit unfair.

As a person who has used LightWave for a number of years and who has also gone on two work in 3 different platforms all integrated, I can not think of one instance where the integration ever felt cluttered. Ever. It is just not so - from my experience.

And another thing I think people are forgetting. I bring this up from time to time but no one seems to have an answer.

Why is it that people claim Modeler is a Modeling- only focused environment, when in fact it is not? At all.

Also with the plethora of modeling tools and menus just for the various tools and actions you can perform, as a Modeling tool it is extremely cluttered. And redundant. Just that alone.

In addition to Menus for Modeling there are menus and/or groups for Rigging, Morphing etc. Both of which are not related to modeling at all and in fact are best in a Layout environment. Morphs of course use modeling tools but it is part of the animation pipeline. So it belongs in Layout. Just as weight painting and rigging.

So why is it that people keep saying it is focused on Modeling when it isn't?

Half of the Modeling tools disappear in a unified environment. Second, all of the rigging and morph tools become redundant.

Add to this that now transform tools are the same used in animation as they are in Modeling. Again reducing redundancy.

So a "mode" strictly speaking would completely defeat the purpose of a unified environment. And the biggest draw back of Modo in my opinion.

But also the way these things are handled in unified environments are through a flexible interface layout.

Everything stays the same. But you have a menu layout that is for instance UV-centric. Scripting-centric or Animation-centric and so on. And of course you can make your own custom layouts just as you can in Modeler and Layout. But with even more flexibility.

Someone mentioned Max. I have never used that for Modeling and that claim may have some merit. I don't know. But I have not experienced that problem in any of the integrated apps I use.

And finally keep in mind we are talking about a new workflow for modeling rigging and animation. Something different than in any app.

The advantages I think are coming will outweigh the other concerns.

And don't forget that this is the beginning. You can have 2015 there all the time working in a comfortable environment as your transition to this new workflow.

I am not sure if I will upgrade by the end of this deadline. But at this point that is a financial decision more than anything. I am real exited to see what is in store. And I have not felt this positive about LightWave in 20 years. That says a lot. But the practical side of me says wait and see.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 10-03-2015 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    While I fully agree thats bigger picture is most important there is one thign you are forgeting in that assesment. Modeling people (mysef included althoough i do lot more than just modeling) still need to model on daily basis so biger picture is their day jobs EVERY day not just some day in undefinied distant future that might solve their prolems. .
    No I get it Lewis and believe me, I really want new modeling capabilities as well, its about 70% of what I do in LightWave if not more. I just really do believe that overhauling LightWave in the way they are talking about, requires the focus on Layout at this time. Plus, with David Ikeda gone, and them having a modeler position still open, how much new functionality is really possible right now? Clearly in the long run, I think this is best approach. Am I disappointed as hell that we don't have anything new to use in Modeler? Absolutely. It sucks. But I will take a release like this that focuses on architectural improvements any day over just another release that doesn't address it at all like the last few releases which may have done some work to that end, but wasn't visible to us users.

- - - Updated - - -

I would replace the word "fate" with "future" and realize that with the Unified Mesh System in place Layout has a new awareness of geometry and the ability to create geometry not only for traditional modeling but also for new innovative workflows.
    Definitely Rob, I guess I was just speaking of modeler in its current form. I do prefer the term future though.

Rob! This is exactly what I was hoping for. I started to worry about LW's future but you eliminated those worries with the first blog post. Also the comments you place on the forums very are promising. I'm getting the feeling you and your team cooked up something really amazing. I can't wait to check out the new version of LW .... or for now the new blog post is also fine Thank you LW3DG!

May we know if any of these new features will be implemented in version 2015 or only in future 2016?
    Bye

Page 4 of 138 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast