Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 3D BLOG is now up online!

Sounds cool Rob! Can't wait to play with it!
    MikeS [LWProfile] 30+ Yrs of Award-winning Media DreamLight.com

Drag-and-drop-dead-easy™ ScreamerNet - DLI Constellation
    BOOK - Creating a 3D Animated CGI Short & 3D CGI Short Films & DLI Blog

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    When you say future workflows such as.. and then you say something else after that, that means you're talking about a future workflow.
    Oh well I guess we are both just reading it differently, I never said I wanted a handful of modeling tools, not at all, and you're right it does suck at handling large polygon count models. I completely see the bigger picture and like you said it had been needed for a while now. I just wanted you to clarify what you meant by your post which you now have Thanks.

I for one loved the separate programs and know that Rob raved about the benefits of having them separate as well. So if Lightwave is going to be at some point one program I'm sure they must of did it in a way that it will benefit everyone, only time will tell I guess.

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

People should be elated that they are making deep architectural changes to LightWave so that modeling can be vastly improved in the future instead of putting new features into an aging system like modeler now.
    Yep - I'm just say'n - watch out for those who have been begging for Modeler improvements who can't see the bigger picture. Modeler works fine for me with LWCad.

But I think you need to see the bigger picture here. And keep in mind, my primary focus is on modeling and clearly I want modeling improvements. But these are the kinds of changes that LightWave has needed for years and changing this architecture is what is going to bring the kinds of significant changes to allow them in future release to take modeling to a whole other level.
    Well said and I completely agree. THIS is exactly what many of us have been waiting for - and this is probably the ONLY way LW will be able to move forward seriously AND hopefully acquire new users. While there are still many unanswered questions, I am feeling MUCH more confident in LW's future. Looks like there will be a LW upgrade in my future.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

Rob used the word "Layout". That would suggest there is still Modeler. If there's still Modeler, then it is isn't inside Layout (yet?). If there wasn't a Modeler anymore, then he wouldn't need to use the word Layout anymore. It would just be LightWave.

My guess is there won't be much new for Modeler. I use ChronoSculpt regularly and it's fun to use. If using Layout "feels" the same, I imagine people will love using it so much they'll forget about the ancient Modeler. Unless Modeler is all you use.

It also looks like it might have big backwards compatibility issues. If they've totally replaced the render & geometry engines it'll probably have to have a special translation routine to import old projects. Such routines are notoriously buggy.
    Last edited by hdace; 10-02-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    "There can be no true beauty without decay." --Latin proverb. Nothing digital is beautiful?
    Our new movie is here: http://epistrophypictures.com

Isn't it nice to know the development team "deeply loves" LightWave? Wouldn't it be weird if somebody at Microsoft said that about Word? Or somebody at Adobe said that about After Effects? It would just be weird, right? Somehow it's so important to us that LightWave's team really feels that way. I'm not being sarcastic. This app is like a high flying student who never really delivered during his career, and now suddenly he's getting the big work promotion he always deserved. And we're like the proud parents finally getting our satisfaction.
    "There can be no true beauty without decay." --Latin proverb. Nothing digital is beautiful?
    Our new movie is here: http://epistrophypictures.com

President, the LightWave Group robpowers3d's Avatar
    From that reading, I would say that modelers fate lies inside of Layout.
    I would replace the word "fate" with "future" and realize that with the Unified Mesh System in place Layout has a new awareness of geometry and the ability to create geometry not only for traditional modeling but also for new innovative workflows.
    Rob Powers

President, NewTek LightWave 3D Group
    Burbank, CA

No, the new geometry engine is inside of Layout. Layout had two different engines in it and has been replaced by the unified one.
    We have a future post planned to elaborate on this a lot.
    Rob Powers

Burbank, CA

People should be elated that they are making deep architectural changes to LightWave so that modeling can be vastly improved in the future instead of putting new features into an aging system like modeler now.
    Totally agree +2
    Rob Powers

Burbank, CA

Quote Originally Posted by robpowers3d View Post
    I would replace the word "fate" with "future"
    That would mean the previous statement would be as follows:
    ... Modeler's future lies inside of Layout.

Does this mean there will be unification and the two environment system will be going away? I know there are some that still like having just an environment for modeling.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

I'm elated

Quote Originally Posted by jboudreau View Post
    Oh well I guess we are both just reading it differently, I never said I wanted a handful of modeling tools, not at all, and you're right it does suck at handling large polygon count models. I completely see the bigger picture and like you said it had been needed for a while now. I just wanted you to clarify what you meant by your post which you now have Thanks.

I for one loved the separate programs and know that Rob raved about the benefits of having them separate as well. So if Lightwave is going to be at some point one program I'm sure they must of did it in a way that it will benefit everyone, only time will tell I guess.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Just to make clear my position, I wasn't intending to "rave" about the benefits as much as I wanted to make sure that everyone understood that there were benefits associated with the dual workflow of Modeler and Layout and that it had a basis in the way that studios traditionally were setup and functioned. Up to that point much of what was pointed out or said was only focused on the negative aspects of the dual workflow and I wanted to attempt to balance that some. For sure, our future plan is to maintain the strengths of the past workflows in the way that we implement our new ones.
    Rob Powers

Burbank, CA

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    That would mean the previous statement would be as follows:
    ... Modeler's future lies inside of Layout.

Does this mean there will be unification and the two environment system will be going away? I know there are some that still like having just an environment for modeling.
    Yes we are aware of the strengths of a focused environment for the modeling workflow and that does not have to be exclusive to an entirely separate application.
    Rob Powers

Burbank, CA

Just to make clear my position, I wasn't intending to "rave" about the benefits as much as I wanted to make sure that everyone understood that there were benefits associated with the dual workflow of Modeler and Layout and that it had a basis in the way that studios traditionally were setup and functioned.
    Sorry, rave was a strong word. I was just trying to say that you saw a lot of benefits and strengths with the dual work flow, as well as the weaknesses as I did. Sounds like you took this into consideration which is great!!
    Last edited by jboudreau; 10-02-2015 at 10:25 PM.
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

Yes we are aware of the strengths of a focused environment for the modeling workflow and that does not have to be exclusive to an entirely separate application.
    That's true. Glad to hear, I love having that separate environment just to focus on modelling as well as the layers (hopefully those will still be there in some way) 3DSMAX would be an example of a workflow that I can not stand no separate environment, cluttered interface, scrolling down menus and menus just to simply move a vertice or polygon etc. the list goes on and on.

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast