Page 2 of 138 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 3D BLOG is now up online!

Sounds good to me. Thanks Rob! Now - what about Modeler?

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Sounds good to me. Thanks Rob! Now - what about Modeler?
    From that reading, I would say that modelers fate lies inside of Layout.

Unified Geometry Engine.

Unified Geometry Engine.

Unified Geometry Engine.

Video and Animation Auteur

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Oh really, I read it as they now have a new unified geometry engine (New Modeler) and a new render engine (Layout) and by unified they mean that you can now model in layout and have access to points, polygons, edges and modelling tools etc.

I really can't see them seperating the two programs, but maybe they did who knows

two of the most important foundational pillars of LightWave technology have been LightWave’s geometry engine AND LightWave renderer engine. Of course if our intent is to fully modernize LightWave architecture then we needed to address both of these pillars. In our next version of LightWave, both of these engines have been replaced completely.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Looks like it, doesn't it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey what about Mark Granger? I thought he was the rendering guru.

Quote Originally Posted by jboudreau View Post
    Oh really, I read it as they now have a new unified geometry engine (New Modeler) and a new render engine (Layout) and by unified they mean that you can now model in layout and have access to points, polygons, edges and modelling tools etc.

No, the new geometry engine is inside of Layout. Layout had two different engines in it and has been replaced by the unified one.

No, the new geometry engine is inside of Layout. Layout had two different engines in it and has been replaced by the unified one.
    Yes which means we now can do modelling procedures inside of layout, move vertices, polygons, edges etc, I don't think it means they got rid of modeller. I would say modeller is now going to
    have that same new geomerty engine inside of it as well. That way they can work together with no problems but still as separate programs.

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

And now maybe the same unified engine in both Modeler and Layout - at least for v2016. I can't see them cramming all of Modelers tools in Layout this quick. Surely modeling has gotten some love with all this, otherwise people might still be pissed if again no modeling love.

Yes which means we now can do modelling procedures inside of layout, move vertices, polygons, edges etc. I don't think it means they got rid of modeller. I would say modeller is now going to
    have that same new geomerty engine inside of it as well. That way they can work together with no problems but still as separate programs.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Re-read what Rob said, he said that giving Layout awareness for points, polygons, and edges was a future goal so it doesn't appear that capability is yet there.

" future workflows such as giving LightWave Layout the awareness of geometry elements such as polygons, edges, and vertices and also the ability to actually create new geometry in Layout."

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    And now maybe the same unified engine in both Modeler and Layout - at least for v2016. I can't see them cramming all of Modelers tools in Layout this quick. Surely modeling has gotten some love with all this, otherwise people might still be pissed if again no modeling love.
    People should be elated that they are making deep architectural changes to LightWave so that modeling can be vastly improved in the future instead of putting new features into an aging system like modeler now.

People should be elated that they are making deep architectural changes to LightWave so that modeling can be vastly improved in the future instead of putting new features into an aging system like modeler now.
    +1
    UI Designer @ NewTek

Re-read what Rob said, he said that giving Layout awareness for points, polygons, and edges was a future goal so it doesn't appear that capability is yet there.

" future workflows such as giving LightWave Layout the awareness of geometry elements such as polygons, edges, and vertices and also the ability to actually create new geometry in Layout."
    Sorry but you missed an important part to that sentence.

Over the next few weeks and months we will continue to elaborate on LightWave development including much more detail on the new “unified geometry engine” and explain our approach to LightWave architecture advancements and let you know why those changes are so important for current and future workflows such as giving LightWave Layout the awareness of geometry elements such as polygons, edges, and vertices and also the ability to actually create new geometry in Layout.
    He said current so that means, it could already be in there

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

sorry just to clarify, Are you saying that all the modelling is now going to be in layout (They combined modeler and layout together) so now modeler doesn't exist anymore?
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

This is a GREAT start.

The REAL trick is to keep it going on a relatively regular basis. If Rob/they can do this, then I will truly believe that they've listened to their customers and started to REALLY communicate.

Thank you Mr. Powers. I hope that this is just the beginning. If it is, you've gone a long way to winning people like myself - longtime LW users disillusioned. I look forward to be WOWED again.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

Sorry but you missed an important part to that sentence.

When you say future workflows such as.. and then you say something else after that, that means you're talking about a future workflow.

If people look at this release and there aren't modeling improvements and you're disappointed by that, fine. But I think you need to see the bigger picture here. And keep in mind, my primary focus is on modeling and clearly I want modeling improvements. But these are the kinds of changes that LightWave has needed for years and changing this architecture is what is going to bring the kinds of significant changes to allow them in future release to take modeling to a whole other level. If you seriously would be satisfied if they put a handful of new modeling tools into a system that sucks at handling large polycounts, and has no consistency among tools, then again, you're not seeing the bigger picture. Modeling is clearly going into Layout eventually. But not for for this release no way, now how.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry just to clarify, Are you saying that all the modelling is now going to be in layout (They combined modeler and layout together) so now modeler doesn't exist anymore?
    No, I'm saying that modeler will still be in 2016 but it will be probably much unchanged until they can replace its functionality in Layout at some point in the future, that would be my assessment of it anyway.

Page 2 of 138 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast