Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Black hole test

  1. #1
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, California
    Posts
    6,744

    Black hole test

    A black hole much like the depiction in "Interstellar"

    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  2. #2
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    12,589
    Havent seen interstellar...was it good? and is there a clip from that sequence in the movie?

    Guessing you worked on it with displacement textures in a refraction channel?

    Michael

  3. #3
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, California
    Posts
    6,744
    I just saw it the other day. It was enjoyable, it's no 2001, it did look great.

    The idea of the black hole depiction is the gravity bends the light that passes it, so the far side of the accretion disk is visible over the "top and bottom" of the event horizon sphere, as it bent almost 90 degrees. I just made a long segmented strip, morphed it into a ring, then bent it up on one side. The texture is just a map on the morphed objects.

    This one has a small accretion disk because it is a very old black hole.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHWireframe001.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	738.9 KB 
ID:	127789
    Last edited by shrox; 04-08-2015 at 12:57 PM.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  4. #4
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, California
    Posts
    6,744
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackHoleNew002.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	850.2 KB 
ID:	127790

    The edges should be more optically distorted, I'll probably do that with a map too.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  5. #5
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, California
    Posts
    6,744
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackHoleNew003.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	269.8 KB 
ID:	127792

    Some Corona filter added.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Havent seen interstellar...was it good? and is there a clip from that sequence in the movie?

    Michael
    Well since you asked, Nolan spent a lot of time trying to get the "science right", and therefore we learn such wonderful factoids such as there is a force in the universe even stronger than gravity, that force is love. Get the picture? But you'll have to judge for yourself. Some nice effects and design, I even spotted my airlock in several scenes, so the production designer obviously did what I did, found the same references and said, I can't design anything cooler than that.

  7. #7
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, California
    Posts
    6,744
    Black Hole test 002

    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  8. #8
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    12,589
    Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    Well since you asked, Nolan spent a lot of time trying to get the "science right", and therefore we learn such wonderful factoids such as there is a force in the universe even stronger than gravity, that force is love. Get the picture? But you'll have to judge for yourself. Some nice effects and design, I even spotted my airlock in several scenes, so the production designer obviously did what I did, found the same references and said, I can't design anything cooler than that.
    from that statement"and therefore we learn such wonderful factoids such as there is a force in the universe even stronger than gravity, that force is love."
    that is just too sweet for me..maybe I shouldnīt bother about seeing it, my point of view would be that love has very little impact on the universe itself, now... how do I go about to make a movie to tell such story?



    Hereīs a nasa sim, though it may be "physicly almost correct...if possible" In my opinion... it looks quite boring as an event.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OtUVDRL_wM

  9. #9
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, California
    Posts
    6,744
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    from that statement"and therefore we learn such wonderful factoids such as there is a force in the universe even stronger than gravity, that force is love."
    that is just too sweet for me..maybe I shouldnīt bother about seeing it, my point of view would be that love has very little impact on the universe itself, now... how do I go about to make a movie to tell such story?



    Hereīs a nasa sim, though it may be "physicly almost correct...if possible" In my opinion... it looks quite boring as an event.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OtUVDRL_wM
    That's a false color sim as well.

    The underside of the disk on mine is moving backwards I just realized. Guess I'll fix it.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  10. #10
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    12,589
    this might be of interest...real science behind interstellar, narrated by Matthew Mcconaughey himself, maybe 15:16 in to the clip for some relevant stuff..



  11. #11
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, California
    Posts
    6,744
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    this might be of interest...real science behind interstellar, narrated by Matthew Mcconaughey himself, maybe 15:16 in to the clip for some relevant stuff..


    Yes, I saw that. I don't want to copy it exactly. It is a very ominous thing though.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  12. #12
    I wonder, are we going to get renderers in the future that take gravity's effect on light into the account? Just kidding.. or maybe not.

    Btw, I think the "Interstellar" movie should really be named "Gravity" but I guess that name is already taken.

  13. #13
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, California
    Posts
    6,744
    With all the great effects work, one practical effect bothered me. When two of the characters are sitting in a truck during a "dust storm", it's obvious that someone is throwing buckets of dirt at the window...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  14. #14
    Registered User caustics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    111
    Actually there was a thread about this same thing before the film came out on this forum which made me aware of the upcoming Interstellar and since then I waited to assist the movie.

    Nice o see it's still a topic of interest.

    BTW When I assisted the movie I just had the info from the forum ... I hadn't assisted a trailler nor read critics before watching it.

    So it was quite surprising ... Starting with learning about the length of the movie itself.

    I liked it very much I have to say ... Especially the part about the black hole itself of course.

    The 'human drama' was well set and the S-T-A-Y message a perfect anchor.

    Of course lacking a bunch of explications but you just have to accept things how they are or the movie had to go for five hours or more explaining them ;-)

    In my opinion the movie is up to 2001 ... another story equally captivating moderner effects ... I am very glad they made it.


    Regards

  15. #15
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, California
    Posts
    6,744


    Corrected the motion of the accretion disk.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •