Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: New look and functions to Modeler's Transform gizmo

  1. #1

    New look and functions to Modeler's Transform gizmo

    So many don't know that modeler has a new tool since 11.5 called Transform. It is the Move, Rotate, Scale, Scale Axis wrapped all into one viewport gizmo handle. Allowing you to define any point, polygon, edge or center as a defined plane for it's functions. (page 1347 in the Lightwave2015.pdf) From those that have used it say it gets unusable at small sizes since it inherits the size of the item in selected for it's functions. I have created a new version that makes more sense on how the tool functions and also should work better at smaller size edits. Here is the list of changes to the Gizmo.

    Axis Lines:
    1) Lengthened the size of the axis lines.
    2) Increase the size of the end cone.
    3) Added a smaller end cone to the other side of the axis lines. (smaller represents negative)

    Rotation Arcs:
    1) Added another arc handle 180 from the original.
    2) Added colored elipses to connect the arcs. (also selectable and highlights)
    3) Color coated the arcs to the relative axis they rotate around. (original is not this way which is confusing)

    Scale Axis Boxes:
    1) Sized up and moved the axis scale boxes.

    Plane Axis:
    1) Moved them to the outside of the gizmo center.
    2) Changed them to squares to represent a plane.
    3) Added colored lines to show which two axis it will move along. (also selectable and highlights)

    Scale All Box:
    1) Increase the size.

    Now to use this new look, make a backup of the one that shipped with Lightwave incase you don't like the new look. It should be located in <Lightwave Dir>\support\gizmos\transform.lwo. Just replace the object and you are good to go. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

    -M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewTransformGizmo2.PNG 
Views:	323 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	125856  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

  2. #2
    How very cool, yes I really like this tool. In fact I have it mapped to my "t" for move shortcut (ala Larry [RIP])

  3. #3
    Yes i also don't like native one (too small/crowded) particularly so i have my, great thing is that it's user changeable so kudos for DEVs to make it that way.

    Thanks for sharing your version.

    Here is my.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
    Home WS i7 Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/2x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080
    Work WS-i7 3930K/32GB/Win7x64/660GTX

    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    220
    This amazing MSherak! Sorry, a little sidetracked, do you know how to increase the font size of the UI. I really got hard time reading them.

  5. #5
    Super Member jboudreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by MSherak View Post
    So many don't know that modeler has a new tool since 11.5 called Transform. It is the Move, Rotate, Scale, Scale Axis wrapped all into one viewport gizmo handle. Allowing you to define any point, polygon, edge or center as a defined plane for it's functions. (page 1347 in the Lightwave2015.pdf) From those that have used it say it gets unusable at small sizes since it inherits the size of the item in selected for it's functions. I have created a new version that makes more sense on how the tool functions and also should work better at smaller size edits. Here is the list of changes to the Gizmo.

    Axis Lines:
    1) Lengthened the size of the axis lines.
    2) Increase the size of the end cone.
    3) Added a smaller end cone to the other side of the axis lines. (smaller represents negative)

    Rotation Arcs:
    1) Added another arc handle 180 from the original.
    2) Added colored elipses to connect the arcs. (also selectable and highlights)
    3) Color coated the arcs to the relative axis they rotate around. (original is not this way which is confusing)

    Scale Axis Boxes:
    1) Sized up and moved the axis scale boxes.

    Plane Axis:
    1) Moved them to the outside of the gizmo center.
    2) Changed them to squares to represent a plane.
    3) Added colored lines to show which two axis it will move along. (also selectable and highlights)

    Scale All Box:
    1) Increase the size.

    Now to use this new look, make a backup of the one that shipped with Lightwave incase you don't like the new look. It should be located in <Lightwave Dir>\support\gizmos\transform.lwo. Just replace the object and you are good to go. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

    -M

    Thanks man, I also posted about this a few days ago. It's awesome that lightwave allows you to model your own custom gizmo. Here's the link to my gizmo if you haven't seen it.

    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....zmo-in-Modeler

    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

    Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

  6. #6
    It's nice but color not tell me which axis it is (x,y,z) and i don't know i which way values growing or decreasing, arrows are on both sides.

  7. #7
    Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,617
    One thing that really annoyed me, and meant I gave up with the original Transform tool, was that if you hit A, (or Shift A), to fit the selected object onscreen whilst using it, it defaulted to the plane/edge/point you were using as a guide, not the actual object you wanted to manipulate.

    Does it do the same in 2015?
    Last edited by pinkmouse; 12-05-2014 at 04:52 AM.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

    My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

  8. #8
    Time Traveller Andy Webb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hertfordshire UK
    Posts
    2,019
    Hi MSherak, that's just great, I gave up on the transform tool, just didn't like the way it worked but this works great

    Thanks
    Andy Webb

    Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    16 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    One thing that really annoyed me, and meant I gave up with the original Transform tool, was that if you hit A, (or Shift A), to fit the selected object onscreen whilst using it, it defaulted to the plane/edge/point you were using as a guide, not the actual object you wanted to manipulate.

    Does it do the same in 2015?
    I've reported that problem back then and it's fixed in 2015 . Zoom to selected just wasn't working into sysncmesh system before (11.5/11.6), now it works fine in 2015.
    www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
    Home WS i7 Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/2x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080
    Work WS-i7 3930K/32GB/Win7x64/660GTX

    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

  10. #10
    Time Traveller Andy Webb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hertfordshire UK
    Posts
    2,019
    Unfortunately if you are working on a really small object the gizmo stops working.

    Fortunately for me I rarely work that small.
    Andy Webb

    Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    16 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

  11. #11
    Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I've reported that problem back then and it's fixed in 2015 . Zoom to selected just wasn't working into sysncmesh system before (11.5/11.6), now it works fine in 2015.
    That's good to know. Ta
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

    My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

  12. #12
    Super Member jboudreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    Unfortunately if you are working on a really small object the gizmo stops working.

    Fortunately for me I rarely work that small.
    Does it stop working on a small object in version 2015?

    I know the gizmo I modeled had no problems with objects small. I'm pretty sure It would work on an object as small as 200um. I'll double check and let you guys know

    Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

    Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by battery555 View Post
    This amazing MSherak! Sorry, a little sidetracked, do you know how to increase the font size of the UI. I really got hard time reading them.
    To change the whole UI font for Layout or Modeler you have to add to the command line on the launch icon. Add -f"<name of font>@<font size you want>" so for example, -f"Tahoma@12"

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    It's nice but color not tell me which axis it is (x,y,z) and i don't know i which way values growing or decreasing, arrows are on both sides.
    Can easily be added.. Remember that the inputs when using this tool become relative to the handle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    Hi MSherak, that's just great, I gave up on the transform tool, just didn't like the way it worked but this works great

    Thanks
    welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    Unfortunately if you are working on a really small object the gizmo stops working.

    Fortunately for me I rarely work that small.
    Quote Originally Posted by jboudreau View Post
    Does it stop working on a small object in version 2015?

    I know the gizmo I modeled had no problems with objects small. I'm pretty sure It would work on an object as small as 200um. I'll double check and let you guys know

    Thanks,
    Jason
    2015 this works at .0002 just fine.


    -M
    Last edited by MSherak; 12-05-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

  14. #14
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    13,909
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    It's nice but color not tell me which axis it is (x,y,z) and i don't know i which way values growing or decreasing, arrows are on both sides.
    @^@ The convention is RGB=XYZ/HPB/XSYSZS.

    But you did get that you can make your own, did you not? Add labels to your heart's content. Go crazy.

    ++++++++++++++++++++
    I'm really psyched that the size issue has been fixed -- obviously this is a lot more useful.

    #aflw -I dis-recall: are there Falloff options for Transform?
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 12-05-2014 at 11:15 AM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  15. #15
    ok for some reason can't update the 1st posting I did so here it is..


    Updated.

    1) Changed the axis so the large cones point down the positive inputs for the tool. (Z flipped from original one)
    2) Moved the Plane handles to the axis which makes it cleaner.
    3) Labeled the axis with XYZ which they are on the positive input side.

    Enjoy,
    -M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewGizmoRev7.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	125862  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •