Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Machine and the GeoGlyph tools/neoflow-quadspinner

Quote Originally Posted by stevecullum View Post
    It's a bit slow at higher resolutions, so I would stick to low subdivsion settings while your playing about with the terrain tools. Houdini has also added some decent terrain tools and they work much faster. I'm just using the non-commercial free version, so some of the output options are disabled. But you can still export an OBJ of the final mesh.
    Just installed blender 2.79...canīt recall they provided installers before.

activated the ANT landscape plugin (beats me why they do not have it on by default?)
    works ok, as You say a bit too slow at higher resolutions, if you were to compare a subpatch terrain with procedurals..Lightwave is way way faster, then again it may not be proper to compare ordinary displacement..blender has that as well though I may argue if it really would be any faster that lw procedurals.

Hereīs the odd thing...Lightwave procedurals are non destructive in layout, while the ANT landscape generation in blender is destructive, once you enter erode..you canīt go back and change the landscape settings, so that is a bit off the chart that you simply can not raise subdiv level on it...If you find that is what needed for detailed erosions....if this terrain generator could evolve a bit with non destructive workflow and a bit faster..it would be really sweet.

erosions works, but it needs quite high divisions, so not sure if itīs worth it...itīs not very tweaking friendly, though if you know exactly what you do to get a certain look..then it works, but...three things, the ANT generator gives you..
    1. more adapted fractals specially for terrain.
    2. instant zero edges, no messing with masks or gradients to get zero edges.
    3. erosions
    4. all for no cost at all
    Lightwave provides none of that...so letīs hope someday, or maybe I should predict 4 years from now?
    Oh..I forgot, I can sculpt on it as well where I need overhang..In scene context.

Played a bit more in blender 2,79 and ANT...
    this time around leaving erosions out..since it takes too long to work with, might use them once I get customed with the rest, but...I found that this enhanced ANT is much better with much more preset settings, And I found that it also may be non destructive since I found the settings also in the transform tab, which can be refreshed and rechanged.
    apart from many more presets..(you also got planet mode for round stuff, and easy to tweak to an asteroid) we also got more effects with various filters such as lunar or rock and many more, so you can go a long way before entering erosion, I will have to check if I can sculpt and then use erosion to get a good flow around that.

using viewport ambient occlusion is also great to help accenuate cavity areas.

Played a bit more in blender 2,79 and ANT...
    this time around leaving erosions out..since it takes too long to work with, might use them once I get customed with the rest, but...I found that this enhanced ANT is much better with much more preset settings, And I found that it also may be non destructive since I found the settings also in the transform tab, which can be refreshed and rechanged.
    apart from many more presets..(you also got planet mode for round stuff, and easy to tweak to an asteroid) we also got more effects with various filters such as lunar or rock and many more, so you can go a long way before entering erosion, I will have to check if I can sculpt and then use erosion to get a good flow around that.

Edited..

Nope...sculpting works on top of a terrain in blender, and you can acess the erode button, but it will not work..got error messages unfortunately.

Seems like you are finding your way around the new ANT tools ok. Shame you can’t sculpt and then erode, but I guess sculpt is a modifier and would be sat on top of anything you did with the ANT tools. I hope the devs make it into a modifier - would be faster and more flexible!
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Wow, that looks amazing. I've been a real fan of GeoGlyph, and could kind of see where they were heading, will be very interested to see Tor when released. Hopefully there will be some path for existing GeoGlyph customers to get to Tor, as GeoGlyph itself has been a bit moribund in progress.
    Hey John, just to infom you (in case you haven't seen), there is progress in the GG2 development:

GeoGlyph 2.0 Update on Cyber Monday
    - Support for World Machine 3.0.17
    - New smart installer
    - Build engine enhancements
    - 50+ updates and bugfixes

I just got Geoglyph 2 Professional with a discount of 40% ($144 instead of $240).

@Marander: Nice tool Didn't know about that one.

I also had a look at TOR, but this is rather exactly what L3DT does (I mean quite literally) Nice to see some competition there. That being said.. the L3DT developer isn't an artist. And never shown what the tool actually is capable of. To his detriment I might add.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 11-23-2017 at 04:09 AM.

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    @Marander: Nice tool Didn't know about that one.
    Yeah it's great (have been playing with the GG2 Community Edition so far).

Please note, even though it replaces and enhances large parts of the WM interface, it's an addon for World Machine (not a standalone product).

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yeah it's great (have been playing with the GG2 Community Edition so far).

Please note, even though it replaces and enhances large parts of the WM interface, it's an addon for World Machine (not a standalone product).
    Yeah, I noted that Still.. don't know how far along that TOR tool is.. I am much more keen on that one. Since being able to have proper destruction of a terrain, is pretty much the only reason I still keep L3DT around.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123