Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave Preset Scene * for building

Re-Image magnifier :

I can't get it to lightbox or do the amazon zoom feature on the featured images, theme is conflicting somewhere , hence why I add the Mglass Icon' for now ...

also you said nodes window is too small , I agree ,which is why I might change the Nodes Used text to a link "linking to nodes image " but that is on applicable if the user uploads a node screenshot and it's really just extra homework

Frankly, I wouldn't fret about the node image at all. I don't see any use for it, and it just adds to traffic and expense. What would be more useful is a tickbox to say if the nodal network is commented, that is much more useful to users than any picture of a bunch of nodes that has no real value to anyone.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Agreed with pinkmouse. Node network screen gabs are nearly useless. Without having the settings in each and every one of the included nodes, no one can glean any useful information from them. There isn't any way to show all of that which is required to understand what is really going on to create the surface. Waste of time, energy, bandwidth and it's just a distraction.

Concentrate on that which adds real value. Anything that is inessential is just fluff.

It boils down to this:

Does it look good?
    Yes.
    Do I want it?
    Yes.
    Can I learn how to use it?
    Sure, as soon as I download it and take it apart to realize it in full detail.

Other than that, don't clutter the experience with a bunch of irrelevant eye candy. People are busy. They appreciate efficiency.

Thickbox, that is part of the standard WordPress install, should be able to be used. No plugin necessary. Just have to call it. I have it running on all of our sites without issue.
    Last edited by spherical; 10-06-2014 at 04:05 AM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

It's over-kill, if people want to explore the node structure they can download it. The preset itself could include a text file or JPG image if there is something unusual that needs explaining I guess. I like that some submitters have just dumped a whole preset pack. That's pretty nice when coming from Archviz pro users. I'm really excited that this is coming together and can only improve, when it is really polished I'm sure you can get it permanently linked in the third party section of the Lightwave site.

One little question, when I download the preset scene, there are two scenes, each named not very user friendly names. I can't actually see what the difference between the two scenes are and why we need two. Which one is the one I'm meant to use?

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    It's over-kill, if people want to explore the node structure they can download it. The preset itself could include a text file or JPG image if there is something unusual that needs explaining I guess. I like that some submitters have just dumped a whole preset pack. That's pretty nice when coming from Archviz pro users. I'm really excited that this is coming together and can only improve, when it is really polished I'm sure you can get it permanently linked in the third party section of the Lightwave site.

One little question, when I download the preset scene, there are two scenes, each named not very user friendly names. I can't actually see what the difference between the two scenes are and why we need two. Which one is the one I'm meant to use?
    Agreed it is over kill it's just an extreme example if I am honest , but if a user includes a screen grab of the node setup I will happily add it like so , but for the most part it probably just will be one image " easier for myself also".

>> I will change the names on the next build totally see your point it is conflicting, however the one you use is PresetLibrary_RC.

This is how it will generally look , cheers for the preset DJ ,

http://3dxyz.pro/imperfect-chrome/

There are some really great surfaces gathered so far, especially for someone like me whose not as knowledgeable on complex surfacing and can pick them apart to see how they work. Thanks to everyone that's contributing!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    Agreed it is over kill it's just an extreme example if I am honest , but if a user includes a screen grab of the node setup I will happily add it like so , but for the most part it probably just will be one image " easier for myself also".
    I would strongly suggest standardization. Eliminate the screen grab option. Once you get the preset, you can then examine how it is built. Screen grabs are redundant and therefore a waste of bandwidth, disk space and database accesses/size. Your WordPress database will get big enough on its own.

I will change the names on the next build totally see your point it is conflicting, however the one you use is PresetLibrary_RC.
    I was wondering the same. Good to know I chose the correct one.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

was testing out browsing on my tablet , looks wicked and it should be even better on i-pad *needs confirmed

>

> from the content directory rather than download the full 300 meg file here is the grass and flowers .
    http://3dxyz.pro/wild-grass-and-flowers/

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

> from the content directory rather than download the full 300 meg file here is the grass and flowers
    That's just silly looking. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    That's just silly looking. I love it!
    it's a little bit silly but it's a good example of the direction I could take regarding content .

instancing stones and rocks would be next one it's a good idea if somewhat stupid looking

I would like a collection of decent assets worth sharing especially for instancing.

Well, it's shows the preset, it's not really stupid looking. Good move. Hope there are some talented knowledgeable LW artists out there working on packaging up some more presets, the cupboard still feels a little bare, but early days.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast