Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave Preset Scene * for building

LightWave Preset Scene * for building

Say hello to the new preset default surface model , kindly donated by Roy Kong you can download the scene file here >>> Scene Download

so how can you help ?
    we have reduced the frame size and sampling to reduce render times 1-2 mins * the frame size is 1200 x 600 which displays perfect in the new site.

if you could kindly grab the scene create a preset & f9 that bad boy and link it here we can quickly create a decent preset browser / database.

notes about the scene:

regarding the scene , scale is an issue so you may want to use nodes , also feel free to update the background image as long as the main variables stay the same ie lighting, camera position & model... cooliest background made will be made the default ... it's WIP and a long road but I suppose it's a start and lets not forget Preset Central ....

if you need help with presets see here

LW TUTORIAL

Please feel free to share and tweak the scene and make it more efficient.

Octane Render Presets : Kohap Creative also created a small collection of Octane Render for LightWave Presets you can download them here Download Presets for Octane

how the presets will display in LightWiki ... * still working on the site however presets get displayed like so...

Cheers Steph
    Last edited by OnlineRender; 08-17-2014 at 11:20 AM.

LightWave Presets V1 with presets(5) , scene scale corrected to 10cm ' Download Here

This is great! Thanks a lot!

This is cool. I'm gonna keep an eye on this.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Good, it's a start. I've looked over the scene and I think for this to be useful all the surfaces (not talking about the sample surface) have to be set up correctly to be energy conserving with proper refection models. Also there is no need for the distant light in the scene with Ambient intensity set to 5. (Also turn off Lens flares, shadow maps and volumetric lights in the render globals, but turn on raytrace transparency and raytrace refraction.

As a side note I also think that Preset Central need to divide its surface presets between Energy conserving and non energy conserving, perhaps just call it Photo-real and non photo-real. It's too much of a mystery box at the moment and potentially time wasting to grab a surface that looks okay in the image only to find that it isn't set up as a realistic surface.

EDIT- I just realised that this is independant of Preset Central, good, then your Lightwiki browser should attempt to categorize the presets btween photoreal and non photoreal. That would be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    Good, it's a start. I've looked over the scene and I think for this to be useful all the surfaces (not talking about the sample surface) have to be set up correctly to be energy conserving with proper refection models. Also there is no need for the distant light in the scene with Ambient intensity set to 5. (Also turn off Lens flares, shadow maps and volumetric lights in the render globals, but turn on raytrace transparency and raytrace refraction.

As a side note I also think that Preset Central need to divide its surface presets between Energy conserving and non energy conserving, perhaps just call it Photo-real and non photo-real. It's too much of a mystery box at the moment and potentially time wasting to grab a surface that looks okay in the image only to find that it isn't set up as a realistic surface.

EDIT- I just realised that this is independant of Preset Central, good, then your Lightwiki browser should attempt to categorize the presets btween photoreal and non photoreal. That would be very useful.

cool and noted! hopefully we can get a final scene setup soon and re_share and getting everything tidied up , some guys are tweaking the scene atm

re browser photoreal and non-photoreal I can do that easy ...

This is a Studio Setup using DPFilter submitted to the FBwiki ...

it's pretty

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redpreset.png 
Views:	3300 
Size:	837.1 KB 
ID:	123706  

I took the scene and changed all the surfaces to be energy conserving, no specular only reflection. I killed the Distant light that wasn't doing anything and turned raytrace transparency and refraction back on. Here is the altered version (just scene and object, you need to use with the original image files of course).

altered scene & objects.zip

I believe it needs to be this way if we want to judge the material as realistically as possible. Otherwise we are just being fooled by nice images.

I've started using the scene to make surfaces and it is a good place to work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example surfaces energy conserving.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	913.9 KB 
ID:	123707

I was also thinking that this set up could ship with an outdoor EXR backdrop, so that the user can swap between the studio setup and an exterior set up.

Also, we could have a scaled up version, the ball being about a meter in size, the grid pattern up-scaled, because some surfaces need to be judged at larger scale.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Wow guys, thanks you for this, it is excellent. Nice touch with the sub-surface bar too.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

I took the scene and changed all the surfaces to be energy conserving, no specular only reflection. I killed the Distant light that wasn't doing anything and turned raytrace transparency and refraction back on. Here is the altered version (just scene and object, you need to use with the original image files of course).

altered scene & objects.zip

I believe it needs to be this way if we want to judge the material as realistically as possible. Otherwise we are just being fooled by nice images.

I've started using the scene to make surfaces and it is a good place to work.

Name:	example surfaces energy conserving.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	913.9 KB 
ID:	123707

I was also thinking that this set up could ship with an outdoor EXR backdrop, so that the user can swap between the studio setup and an exterior set up.

Also, we could have a scaled up version, the ball being about a meter in size, the grid pattern up-scaled, because some surfaces need to be judged at larger scale.

wicked DJ thanks and I agree with yourself , tbh I am not the best at render nor surfacing actually LW in general so I am more than happy to hear people thoughts and suggestions , we will keep revising until the middle ground is covered and people are happy with the scene .

Note I have removed all other version from the dropbox account so links above will die

New Version corrected by DJ , I also quickly uv mapped the preset however it's a bit messy and could do with a proper texture artist correcting it.

DOWNLOAD LIGHTWAVE3D PRESET VERSION 2

also Added some more presets

Snow & Carbon Fiber

Here's an EXR background for outdoors if you want to use it.

Outdoor location enviroment.zip

Basically the scene could ship with both images loaded into separate texture environments, and the user can turn either one on or off.

Name:	Outdoor set up.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	1,015.5 KB 
ID:	123710

damn the are pretty ...

also note some presets require plugins like db&w tools http://www.db-w.com/products/dbwtools/docs

Hamilton Purple.pst
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnx7k2lywc...n%20Purple.zip

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Would it be wise/helpful to nail down some sort of naming convention for preset files/zip files? Maybe including colour, texture, indoor/external , version, author initials. E.g. wood_lightbrown_higloss_interior_v1_rl.pst

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

for the moment I'm just throwing them all in a big folder , but eventually they will need categorized however you can add a description inside layout SETNAME *which kinda helps* still need to work a lot of the logistics also want to grab Ben from preset central and see if we can come up with a plan and standardize the defaults.

Re DJ , would it be easier to have two scene for outdoor environments or just switching them off in the texture panel ?
    Last edited by OnlineRender; 08-18-2014 at 08:08 AM.

For me it would be easier to just go into the Background Options and find that there are two Texture Environments loaded with say the studio one check on by default. If you want to switch to Exterior mode you just uncheck it and check the other one. Unfortunately these can't be labeled (Studio/Outdoors), so the user would have to be in the know about this.

But that would be more convenient than loading another scene I would think.

By the way, is it possible to put a custom image into the preset shelf, often the nodal surface preview ball look nothing like the rendered result. It's not that important but I thought I'd ask. I've only just worked out how you save presets as pst and get them into a folder.

By the way, is it possible to put a custom image into the preset shelf, often the nodal surface preview ball look nothing like the rendered result. It's not that important but I thought I'd ask. I've only just worked out how you save presets as pst and get them into a folder.
    not that I am aware of , but I get what you mean they look a little hmm *Flat* the only way I can think of a workaround is via L-Script which I suck at or I can quickly knock up some html gallery/browser which can be added to the zip

EDIT there maybe a way * searching atm
    Last edited by OnlineRender; 08-18-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast