Thread: Kinect v2 for Windows now on sale on Microsoft's website

Kinect v2 for Windows now on sale on Microsoft's website

Does anyone know whether you can use the Konect V2 for XboXone? I found one at a pawnshop for about $70.00 bucks
    The LW Beast From the East

From what I've known, it needs to be Kinnect for Windows. They're not the same. That's why everyone has been waiting so long for its release. There is, however, a workaround if you want to go that route: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....not-Recognized
    Last edited by spherical; 08-28-2014 at 03:22 PM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Are the same, except that it takes an adapter to use it on Windows and it is not sold separately. So without buying the Windows version the Kinect V2 is not exploitable outside the Xbox One. May be they will change opinion.

Kinect 2 for XBoxOne is not compatible with Windows because it uses a proprietary I/O connector. Kinect 2 for Windows uses a standard USB connector.

My guess is that there are probably other differences between the two models, like how there are differences between the original Xbox Kinect and Windows Kinect. For example, the original Windows Kinect featured some minor but important hardware differences that allowed for 'near mode', which is useful for 3D scanning and face capture. There were also various video quality controls not available to the Xbox Kinect but not the Xbox version. There will possibly be some differences because Kinect 2 for Windows is likely to target markets outside of gaming (i.e., medical research, simulation, education, etc.) Naturally, it will be up to Windows developers find uses for those features. As I said, I'm just guessing though.

Not that such differences will matter with this latest generation of Kinect devices since you won't be able to run the XBoxOne version on Windows anyway.

I'm pretty excited about the Kinect 2 because I've been using three synchronized Kinects for Windows (original version) for motion capture, and the software I'm using, iPi Mocap Studio 2.0, is getting upgraded to use Kinect 2.0 for Windows later this month. That said, the developers are saying that the difference in mocap quality for film and game projection probably isn't going to be as dramatic as many people are expecting, so I'm going to hold off upgrading my 'old' devices for a while longer. (I'm definitely upgrading to Mocap Studio 3.0 though--it's going to be much more than just a Kinect 2 upgrade.)

Kinect 2 for Windows will probably be a much bigger deal for Nevron Motion users since LW3DG is using the SDK from Microsoft. Looking forward to any news from LW3DG on the subject.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Kinect 2 for Windows will probably be a much bigger deal for Nevron Motion users since LW3DG is using the SDK from Microsoft. Looking forward to any news from LW3DG on the subject.
    Alas, LW3DG haven't said anything about Nevron for ages, nor show much interest in Nevron customer issues/concerns.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.5),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

This concerns me as I am an all "Windows 7" installation:

"Compatible only with Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Embedded Standard or Windows Embedded Standard 8.1 "

Quote Originally Posted by PabloMack View Post

"Compatible only with Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Embedded Standard or Windows Embedded Standard 8.1 "
    I did not know that and hadn't really thought about it. I'm all Win 7 in my studio, and also in other places where I work.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising since Win 7 is getting to be 'old news' with Win 10 coming around the corner. Part of it may be technical but it's probably economically motivated as well.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloMack View Post

According to Brekel...

"The reason for Win8 is actually USB3 drivers from as far as I can gather.

On Win7 the USB3 drivers were coded by the manufacturers and as it turns out many are fairly unstable when it comes to transferring close to the maximum bandwidth.

On Win8 Microsoft now includes a completely rewritten USB3 stack which can handle the bandwidth required by the sensor in a stable manner."

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost...9&postcount=26