Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: to buy or not to buy syflex for Lightwave ?

hm, curious now, does the LightWave version of Syflex have SySkin?

http://www.syflex.biz/tut_skin01.html

i see the older Houdini version don't... :\
    http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...ab1db495a45f78

previous limitations >
    http://forums.newtek.com/archive/index.php/t-63422.html

for Lightwave 11.6 Syflex is version 1.3...
    while for Maya 2009 Syflex is version 3.9...
    Last edited by erikals; 03-31-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

It appears that the version numbers aren't synched across platforms? The tut says 3.0 on Maya & LightWave version is 1.3? Are they the same, just the number different; or is the LightWave version that old?
    Last edited by spherical; 03-31-2014 at 04:27 PM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

I imagine part of the reason for the promo offer is to test user interest in the product before they invest the time to update it. Hopefully they will sell enough copies at $200 to convince them to do so.

As for why it wasn't updated in the past, I'm guessing that they ran into limitations with the LightWave SDK...or maybe just disappointing sales at 2k a license. If it's the former, I hope the changes made to the SDK in recent years will allow them to give us a more complete Syflex experience.

Just my opinion of course.

G.

Thanks for all of the info! But, can anyone confirm if the LW Syflex has the skin and hair capabilities like SI and Maya?
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Just wanted to show that Syflex can be used for softbodies as well. Here's a quick video of me playing with a softbody torus and you can see I'm tweaking the settings and there's no re-calculation needed.

@hrgiger - then it can do skin? And hair? Etc.? Thanks for showing how easy that looked.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

I havent' used it for Skin but I've seen examples of that. Hair simulations I imagine would be rather straightforward.

got an answer from Syflex.... >

Good evening,

i'm a bit curious about Syflex for LightWave,
    are there any updates as far as skin simulation goes,
    is for example Syskin included in the current LightWave version?

i was wondering if it is possible to create something like this within LightWave,
    http://www.syflex.biz/tut_skin01.html

best regards,
    Erik Alstad
    Hi Erik,

This version for Lightwave doesn't have yet the skin and flesh model included. It's only for a flat surface (cloth) for the moment.
    We are going to add these extensions soon, depending on user input (I mean: to prioritize development tasks.)

Thanks,
    --
    Gerard Banel
    Syflex LLC
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    I imagine part of the reason for the promo offer is to test user interest in the product before they invest the time to update it. Hopefully they will sell enough copies at $200 to convince them to do so.

As for why it wasn't updated in the past, I'm guessing that they ran into limitations with the LightWave SDK...or maybe just disappointing sales at 2k a license. If it's the former, I hope the changes made to the SDK in recent years will allow them to give us a more complete Syflex experience.

Just my opinion of course.

G.
    Or maybe they picked up few PMG tactics. i joke but still i get worried with 3d party devs.
    Last edited by calilifestyle; 03-31-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

We'll see. This has all been very good information. If only Newtek would just do these things, then I wouldn't be so out of sorts. LOL

so uhh yeah. I loaded the shirt scene into 11.6.1 and I get nothing when I press play. But no errors and the syCloth deformer looks to be applied. Something fundamental I'm missing here.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 03-31-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Jason, where do you have your plug-in installed and do you have the license file in the same location?

The file names were different then what the scene expects, the scene wants shirt2.lwo and torso2.lwo but the assets are called shirt.lwo and torso.lwo. You probably already know this since you got the scene loaded but...

you also have to reassign the collision object on the shirt.

syCloth/Edit Forces/Collide Mesh 1/Object set to Torso

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Jason, where do you have your plug-in installed and do you have the license file in the same location?
    yeah that's what I'm wondering. I made a folder called syflex inside C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.1\support\pluginsand put the license and .p file in the syflex folder. I'll try it with naked files. Not sure why. Yes I did notice that I needed to reset the collision mesh but the gravity would work regardless. . . I did use this a bit inside of softimage a while back. The torso twist deformer works (native lw tools) but the syflex cloth doesn't deform a bit.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

yep that was it! You can't have a folder in between your syflex.p file and plugins folder. Weird, never had to do that with other plugins.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 03-31-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast